Another Dealer Quits

Currently reading:
Another Dealer Quits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Desira Norwich now Suzuki.
WOW! - Desira were always big on Fiats. Had good long term contacts with their Parts Dept over the years. Not recently though. They also had a side business called Desira Parts Force who directly imported Fiat parts from Italy.

Looking now at their desiraparts.com site I see no parts for Fiats!

Korea is a very odd situation. I was first working there 15-ish years ago and 99% of the cars on the road there were korean. And not like the cheap UK korean cars of the time, there were high spec car not exported for some reason. Their government put huge taxes on anything imported to boost the internal korean companies, and forced the big 5 (hyundai, samsung, LG, etc - samsung made cars in korea!) to compete in each market to boost the competitiveness for the public. They also had a pride in buying korean, if you owned foreign products or cars, then that was viewed as disloyal to the country.

It's the exact opposite of what you find in the UK in terms of government encouraging manufacture and competitiveness.

I've not been to korea in several years, it would be interesting to see how they are handling the EV world.
Interesting that Samsung were making cars, just looked it up and while initially it was with technical help from Nissan, later it became a joint venture with Renault and now it’s dropped the Samsung name and is now Renault Korea Motors.

Korea is a very odd situation. I was first working there 15-ish years ago and 99% of the cars on the road there were korean. And not like the cheap UK korean cars of the time, there were high spec car not exported for some reason. Their government put huge taxes on anything imported to boost the internal korean companies, and forced the big 5 (hyundai, samsung, LG, etc - samsung made cars in korea!) to compete in each market to boost the competitiveness for the public. They also had a pride in buying korean, if you owned foreign products or cars, then that was viewed as disloyal to the country.

It's the exact opposite of what you find in the UK in terms of government encouraging manufacture and competitiveness.

I've not been to korea in several years, it would be interesting to see how they are handling the EV world.

I know back 15 years ago Korea cars were becoming really popular here because of how cheap they were and with long warranties. I had a friend who went to working in a Kia dealership around the end of 2005 early 2006 (about the time I left the motor trade. A lot of the cars coming into the dealership had massive faults from the factory, they had to do a nut and bolt inspection on every car. Massive obvious problems like whole wiring looms not being plugged in and bolts not being done up. Everything was there just the QC was terrible, I suspect they were not so haphazard with cars sold in Korea. Most customers didn’t know about the problems as the dealership sorted them and they were pretty reliable there after, but still.

China has dominated the electric car market in that region of the world, even with all the Korea and other pacific country manufacturers, I’d suspect that Korea has an influx of Chinese cars, where China doesn’t make or export cars they are getting very good at buying big stakes in foreign car manufacturers so I suspect even the “Korean” cars are being influenced but Chinese manufacturers.

Looking up Samsung cars, I see Geely owns a fair chunk of that company now so I suspect where electric cars are developed Geely is having a big influence on them as they are one of the big Chinese players in electric cars, they now own lotus, the london taxi company and Volvo I believe. Knowing Europeans, and locals of other countries will buy “local” cars and probably wouldn’t buy Chinese cars, they have just set about buying up foreign car companies.

Desira Norwich now Suzuki.
Is that the Heigham street branch ? I presume the Alfa dealer has gone as well? As I said further up, they still list fiat on their website but they only have about 70ish fiats listed. I can’t blame them fiat having killed off many models over the last few years have left dealers with very little to sell.
WOW! - Desira were always big on Fiats. Had good long term contacts with their Parts Dept over the years. Not recently though. They also had a side business called Desira Parts Force who directly imported Fiat parts from Italy.

This is the same with my nearest Desira dealer, it’s becoming a used car site now and the fiats have disappeared from the site (despite some fiat badges still being up around the building) I used fiat parts as well but I think they closed down fiat parts during lockdown.

In 2020 a new purpose built fiat dealer opened in Norwich by a company called MotorVogue, much bigger and better showroom than desira had and looking on MotorVogues website they have taken over a lot of fiat and Jeep dealers in the last few years in east Anglia area so I suspect this is what’s pushed desira out of selling fiats ?

Yes Desira we’re THE Fiat dealers from that extended area…I don’t think there’s any of the 70/80/90’s Fiat dealers still going round here except Piccadilly Motors

Same with India’s rules on only being able to operate a store if you manufacture a % of your product in India. We clap and say ‘why don’t we do that’.
My last company I worked at tried to sell into India (I hated working there, god knows why anyone want to holiday there). It was when the whole "Made in India" was being pushed through, and were eventually told that if you cant make or have some value add in India then you'll get no sales.

Interesting that Samsung were making cars, just looked it up and while initially it was with technical help from Nissan, later it became a joint venture with Renault and now it’s dropped the Samsung name and is now Renault Korea Motors.
It was odd walking along the road in the business area (gangnam style!) and seeing the "Tesco Hyundai Bank"

My last company I worked at tried to sell into India (I hated working there, god knows why anyone want to holiday there). It was when the whole "Made in India" was being pushed through, and were eventually told that if you cant make or have some value add in India then you'll get no sales.

It was odd walking along the road in the business area (gangnam style!) and seeing the "Tesco Hyundai Bank"
Every company wants to sell to India and China right now because for the most part they’re seeing a huge boom in their middle class consumer spending from slums to living life’s working and spending like we do. Huge untapped market.

On the holiday front, seems to be more about the cultural and historical parts of its history. Buddhism from the source and whatnot. Food too. If you’re into that kind of thing. I’m into both, but I don’t think I’d last a day with their climate, sanitisation and general way of life compared to how I live 🤣

Every company wants to sell to India and China right now because for the most part they’re seeing a huge boom in their middle class consumer spending from slums to living life’s working and spending like we do. Huge untapped market.

On the holiday front, seems to be more about the cultural and historical parts of its history. Buddhism from the source and whatnot. Food too. If you’re into that kind of thing. I’m into both, but I don’t think I’d last a day with their climate, sanitisation and general way of life compared to how I live 🤣
Yes, much like a number of countries that saw European goods as a status symbol.
I with you on the climate, don’t generally go anywhere in the heat, even Northern Europe, we went to Berlin wehn it was minus nine during the day. Only exception was going to Turin wehn it was 40*C but there were no winter flights and it was a 50th b’day present

Yes, much like a number of countries that saw European goods as a status symbol.
I with you on the climate, don’t generally go anywhere in the heat, even Northern Europe, we went to Berlin wehn it was minus nine during the day. Only exception was going to Turin wehn it was 40*C but there were no winter flights and it was a 50th b’day present
I’d love to go to Italy. Between the love of Fiat, coffee, style and beautiful natural sights and architecture I think I’d get on well. At the right time of year to avoid any extreme weather!

Only ever been to Amsterdam and had plans go to more abroad countries but then Covid happened and that set me right back.

Stuck saving for a house deposit sucking the joy out of every paycheque for now. Maybe next year!

Wife’s sister (a surgeon) and mother (a triage nurse, now retired) did some charity work in India, the first week they both caught a highly virulent stomach bug (not Delhi Belly) and spent more time being nursed than their charity work

I’d love to go to Italy. Between the love of Fiat, coffee, style and beautiful natural sights and architecture I think I’d get on well. At the right time of year to avoid any extreme weather!

Only ever been to Amsterdam and had plans go to more abroad countries but then Covid happened and that set me right back.

Stuck saving for a house deposit sucking the joy out of every paycheque for now. Maybe next year!
Turin is actually quite beautiful, the airport is more like a small aerodome…and there’s a great ‘alternative’ bar that plays indie music and arty films…but the beer, food and company is spot on, Blah Blah Bar

It's hard to see the culture when there is such rampant poverty, so many people sleeping on the streets and understand the high level roads. And not just homeless types, families walking by the side of the road on the morning. Mainly based in kolkata, but the rest seemed much the same.

China is so much nicer, I've worked in both, quite a lot in China, often in back of beyond places (where the substations are). There's much more pride and people getting on with things rather than homeless and begging. China have the most amazing shops on town streets, you'll generally find anything you need, like walking mechanical workshop, lathes and nc machines, hand them a part and get them to modify it.

Anyway, to keep it on topic, never seen any Fiats in India or China 🤣. Oddly lots of Suzuki in India, and VW in China.

It's hard to see the culture when there is such rampant poverty, so many people sleeping on the streets and understand the high level roads. And not just homeless types, families walking by the side of the road on the morning. Mainly based in kolkata, but the rest seemed much the same.

China is so much nicer, I've worked in both, quite a lot in China, often in back of beyond places (where the substations are). There's much more pride and people getting on with things rather than homeless and begging. China have the most amazing shops on town streets, you'll generally find anything you need, like walking mechanical workshop, lathes and nc machines, hand them a part and get them to modify it.

Anyway, to keep it on topic, never seen any Fiats in India or China 🤣. Oddly lots of Suzuki in India, and VW in China.
That’s because the Chinese government controls what you see on the streets there. I’d argue those poor homeless and stricken people on the streets in India still have it better than whatever camp the CCP have forced its homeless problem into. I have no respect for the CCP, no disrespect to the people. I sincerely hope that India in the next 25 years rises up, solves some of its big issues and overtakes China as a manufacturing powerhouse based on democracy and capitalism so we can pull the mat out from under China that we’ve unfortunately helped build.

Even in the car industry it’s sick what they’re at. Mass producing of EVs and destruction pricing with the intent of ruining other continents automotive companies. As much as I dislike Fiat inside of Stellantis it’s due to the likes of the CCP and its forceful approach at the cost of freedom and people’s dignity that’s led the rest of the world to have to ‘gang up’ to survive. Difference is, we can’t compete because we don’t piggyback on slave labour and breaching of our basic human rights which sets us back in speed and manpower.

Here’s a good example from the past on why you probably don’t see too many Fiat’s in China.

Nissan also weren’t too happy 👀

Seems as relevant a place as any...

186 miles wltp isn't particularly promising as anything other than a second car given that's probably 100 miles in winter but given the expected use case of a Panda 300 motorway miles isn't likely and would make it about 60k car.

Seems as relevant a place as any...

186 miles wltp isn't particularly promising as anything other than a second car given that's probably 100 miles in winter but given the expected use case of a Panda 300 motorway miles isn't likely and would make it about 60k car.
"priced under $26,800, which promises not to burn a hole in your wallet while you go greener"

These car journalists are getting as out of touch as some wealthy politicians / celebrities who don't know the price of a pint of milk...

For most people, that is simply not considered budget.

"priced under $26,800, which promises not to burn a hole in your wallet while you go greener"

These car journalists are getting as out of touch as some wealthy politicians / celebrities who don't know the price of a pint of milk...

For most people, that is simply not considered budget.
21500 quid, put it in the region of 200 per month on lease/PCP which is let's face it how most of them will be bought.

There's also a piston version which depending on if we get it is likely to be priced around the 13-14k the current C3 starts at.

Never quite understand why people expect to be able to afford all electric cars brand new when in the past if you couldn't afford it new you bought it used.

Last edited:
21500 quid, put it in the region of 200 per month on lease/PCP which is let's face it how most of them will be bought.

There's also a piston version which depending on if we get it is likely to be priced around the 13-14k the current C3 starts at.

Never quite understand why people expect to be able to afford all electric cars brand new when in the past if you couldn't afford it new you bought it used.
If they want people to take EVs seriously they should close the gap in price properly. Meaning... by 2030, a C3 at £14k (albeit, more than £14k with inflation from now until then) but that still is highly unlikely to be anywhere close to the premium over ICE variants versus EV today. Not the dirty tricks they're playing at the minute by artificially inflating the base ICE models whilst grabbing as much tax payer money as possible in the form of EV grants and already applying it to the OTR price. It's the least they can do given that people will be already making accommodations for the shortcomings in everyday practicality of EVs (especially the lower range ones as the article suggests the new EV Panda will have)

There's no EV grants currently available they ended over a year ago. All that's available is help towards installing a charging point.

You could put your tin foil hat and say they are inflating ice cars to narrow the gap..or could say as a business enterprise development of new technology costs money, more money than they can make per unit selling electric cars at present. So as a business you make additional money on other lines to cover the development costs.

They've got a hard cut where the cars need to be ready, development is an expensive business, money needs to come from somewhere now not to die in future. This is how Fiat ended up being swallowed by Stellantis by ignoring the future.

Prices are heading down, it's just very odd that if you couldn't afford the current Panda 4x4 at 21k...you'd probably buy a used one an electric one at about the same that's too much.

Not to say 21k is a reasonable price for a 4x4...

There's no EV grants currently available they ended over a year ago. All that's available is help towards installing a charging point.

You could put your tin foil hat and say they are inflating ice cars to narrow the gap..or could say as a business enterprise development of new technology costs money, more money than they can make per unit selling electric cars at present. So as a business you make additional money on other lines to cover the development costs.

They've got a hard cut where the cars need to be ready, development is an expensive business, money needs to come from somewhere now not to die in future. This is how Fiat ended up being swallowed by Stellantis by ignoring the future.

Prices are heading down, it's just very odd that if you couldn't afford the current Panda 4x4 at 21k...you'd probably buy a used one an electric one at about the same that's too much.

Not to say 21k is a reasonable price for a 4x4...
All valid points. But given the genuine widespread scepticism of EV technology and where it is at (and outright failure to address some aspects concerning the sourcing of materials, labour used and actual impact to the planet) but most of all, how long these things will last in terms of useful service life before the battery becomes useless off the charger, I would say it's a tinfoil hat theory. ~ they are all equating to reasons why people are avoiding to buy them and make the switch or believe that it's the solution, why would the average buyer of a new car strive to spend more money on less certainty that their £21,000 Panda base model EV is worth their money and risk over the £12,000 ICE base models they've been trading in for the last decade?

And as that article mentions and we know, these smaller newer "new world budget" models coming out don't exactly perform on day one with as good of a range as the bigger models. Even a decade ago, the £5,995 Dacia Sandero could go as far on a full tank of petrol as any car from any other category above it. "the poor" weren't limited in how far they could practically, easily go. You know, the whole point of private transport before we get to the fun / nice things on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back