Another Dealer Quits

Currently reading:
Another Dealer Quits

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been OE fit tyres pretty much as long as there have been tyres..looks at "metric" tyres in the 80s. They were fiendishly expensive...so people didn't fit them, tended to change to a different standard size.

At the end of the day even an insignia takes 100 rated tyre, that 800kg per corner, hell even my 1075kg car is on tyres that will take 670kg per tyre and it's not the extra load option. There's plenty of headroom in standard tyres.

Big wheels and tyres with no spare are a pain the arse...and have been since long before the ev switch was a thing.
I love how the Insignia is universally cited across all car forums on the internet as the benchmark in ‘standard car’ 😂

I’ve got a spare wheel now but having taken my wheels off for the first time in a long time last week… I did seriously question how safe it would be to do so in most roads near me.. They took such a beating to get off.

Yet another thing I missed about the Panda. Even when baked on wheels were so relatively small and easy to handle.. with every ‘pro’ comes a con with these fancier complicated cars.

Again though wheel size isn't EV specific, I've done a C3 wheel in a car park, took about 10 minutes however the rolling diameter meant even the flat tyre wasn't close to fitting in the wheel well and that's a 16 which in the current market is tiny.

If anything the tendency to fit a narrower tyre to an EV and the imperative to reduce unsprung weight for efficiency sake may help..once everyone gets over Tesla anyway and starts building actual cars not e-peen extensions for tech bros.

Again though wheel size isn't EV specific, I've done a C3 wheel in a car park, took about 10 minutes however the rolling diameter meant even the flat tyre wasn't close to fitting in the wheel well and that's a 16 which in the current market is tiny.

If anything the tendency to fit a narrower tyre to an EV and the imperative to reduce unsprung weight for efficiency sake may help..once everyone gets over Tesla anyway and starts building actual cars not e-peen extensions for tech bros.
I see a lot of YouTubers with them alright. But every single one of them still has the BMW or Porsche or Merc all the same… wonder if they had to choose one if they’d keep the Tesla. I’d say not.

As @portland_bill said, and I had heard it from owners videos on YouTube echoed over the years too, the company can barely get its own parts for warranty repairs, or maintain a big enough fleet of courtesy vehicles. I can’t imagine owning one is much fun if it were to be your single only car whilst awaiting a part or repair to be done when you could have other fairly technically impressive cars (just not a match for Tesla EV bits) along with the standard of high service you’d get with the other big brands.

I phoned up a BMW dealership to price up brakes for my cousins 4 series (I always start by asking the dealer as a benchmark because if anywhere else charges that price of more they’re having a laugh, or they’re EBC). They offered to deliver the parts to me, the next day, no extra cost at ~30 miles away. Obviously the brakes were a rip off to begin with (relative to genuine Toyota brake parts anyway) so that probably covers it. I wonder if Tesla, aiming to be luxury with the rest of them, goes to that extent for owners? That’s probably the kind of service those seasoned luxury car owners expect and it doesn’t sound to me like Tesla quite gets that

Last time I checked...my car isn't an EV and it doesn't weigh 2 tonnes or have 1000bhp.
Both our cars have Extra Load tires. Pretty standard it seems these days. I think even when I bought new tires for the Punto Evo they were rated for extra load. That being said the Evo weighed about the same as my old 1993 Mondeo which was a “big family car” the Punto is supposed to be a super mini ? I dunno either way all tires these days, it seems, are made for extra weight

This is hardly an EV specific issue...the Formentor is a Golf R in a fat suit if memory serves and not electric. It's more of an OEs fit stupid tyre sizes issue, some of us check the tyre size a car uses before buying it...most don't.
This Formentor was a PHEV (Plug-in hybrid) and was a bit bigger than a Golf, and a lot fatter, but not quite as big as an SUV.
I ran over a nail in the garages C3 a few years ago...I opened the boot to find a can of foam and a compressor whereas our older car has a wheel and jack.

I had to make a choice which ended up being "run it down the road to the garage and hope I don't destroy the tyre on the air that's left". Thankfully it paid off.

If I'd used the puncture repair kit, I'd have destroyed the tyre...which for the sake of completeness cost 170 quid...for a 16 because it was a low resistance Michelin, literally twice the price of the Goodyear all seasons on our car.
It is possible to use just the pump without the goo, and just add air to the punctured tyre. Most punctures go down slowly, so adding extra air for the drive to the tyre shop will often allow a repair. Using the goo will scrap the tyre. If the air escape is too great, chances are the goo won't work, but might as well try it, as such a puncture is probably unrepairable anyway.

I like spare wheels.
I added one to the Fabia, and have needed it 4 times in 5 years.
The one in the Panda however, came out of the boot for the first time last December. Been happily hiding unused for 17 years. As I was almost home with a takeaway, no spare would have spoilt the evening a treat.
The Doblo came without one, due to the lowered floor. I've added a space saver mounted vertically in the back. A dedicated wheelchair vehicle, without a spare, not for me.

This Formentor was a PHEV (Plug-in hybrid) and was a bit bigger than a Golf, and a lot fatter, but not quite as big as an SUV.
It's still built on the same MBQ EVO platform as the golf, as is the Tiguan and the Skoda superb.

Technically it's a "C Segment" car so same as a Fiat 600e or the old Punto.

A lot of these "SUV" looking vehicles are a lot smaller than they may appear everyone thinks the 600e is the replacement for the 500X but the 500X is much much bigger.

It is possible to use just the pump without the goo, and just add air to the punctured tyre. Most punctures go down slowly, so adding extra air for the drive to the tyre shop will often allow a repair. Using the goo will scrap the tyre. If the air escape is too great, chances are the goo won't work, but might as well try it, as such a puncture is probably unrepairable anyway.

I was aware the goo was putting me on the hook for 170 quid so my course of action was to first ring my local indy 3 miles down the road and check they could help me out..second to ring the garage that owned the car to ask their permission to repair their car (this amused me somewhat..).

Then having checked the tyre was reasonably round (it had announced the puncture via hissing rather than being flat or any low pressure warnings) took it down and got it sorted.

Could have used the compressor probably but I just couldn't be chewed on unpacking it and figuring out how it worked when help was 5 mins away and the tyre was round.

But the main point is this song and dance is entirely possible in most new cars and spare wheels are few and far between, think ours may have been one of the last cars on sale with a spare wheel as standard.

Big wheels and tyres with no spare are a pain the arse...and have been since long before the ev switch was a thing.
Some Countries laws demand a proper spare wheel on safety grounds, why ours doesn't defies me!
I always buy a spare wheel if not included in any cars I, or my daughters buy, as I consider it essential.
Another problem with ever wider tyres is you can almost guarantee they will wear/scrub out on the edges before full use due to the Ackerman Steering Principle, basically if you use the inner edge of the tyre when compared with the outer edge for the example of the turning circle.
" Cars use the Ackermann steering principle. The idea behind the Ackermann steering is that the inner wheel (closer to ICR) should steer for a bigger angle than the outer wheel in order to allow the vehicle to rotate around the middle point between the rear wheel axis."
Hence the wider the tyre the more this occurs.

I now view a tyre change as an RAC job of take the car home and I've got a spare in the garage.

I avoid efficient tyres, usually means low grip. I prefer maximum grip for safety (and fun😁)

I now view a tyre change as an RAC job of take the car home and I've got a spare in the garage.

I avoid efficient tyres, usually means low grip. I prefer maximum grip for safety (and fun😁)
I think I might ring up Axa and see how much breakdown cover would be. For sheer laziness. And to have it towed back to our garage if anything major went wrong

Most breakdown companies worth paying for will be carrying a multi fit spare and what can only be described as a rubber rivet gun.

The gun fires a rod of rubber into the hole which has a mushroom head on it to hold it against the inside of the carcass you then trim the excess off and et voila temporary repair at the roadside without goo.

Recovering cars that don't need recovery is not something they like to do..

Last edited:
A lot of new cars are being built without the space for a spare wheel, a prime example being mini with nothing but a shallow space under the boot floor for keeping a few bits.

With standard road wheels constantly getting bigger and bigger, getting a spare tire into the boot of most cars, that matches the diameter of the 19 or 20 inch wheels fitted to the car, just isn’t possible. There are cars that literally don’t have enough boot space to carry the normal road wheel in the boot even if a spare space saver is fitted and so they have a plastic bag in the spare kit, to put the road wheel in, and put the the wheel in the cabin should you get a puncture. Great except when you’re on that one trip with 4 adults and luggage and literally no where to put the punctured wheel while to carry on your journey.

Presumably if the car won’t start / move and they can’t fix it roadside… it will fall into the needs recovery category ..
Well yes....

But flat tyres do not fall into that, if you can get a tyre on it that holds air enough to get it mobile you save the cost of flat bedding it across the country and it's more convenient for the customer as well.

Let us not forget that many EVs are well above the GVW for smaller recovery vehicles so it's very much an incentive to get the thing patched up and save themselves time and money and move on to the next customer rather than have a patrol tied up with a car they can't legally move waiting for a truck.

Also depending on what you pay for...don't assume you'll get any more than dragged to a nearby garage if you actually do need recovery...

Great except when you’re on that one trip with 4 adults and luggage and literally no where to put the punctured wheel while to carry on your journey.
Reminds me of my brother and his MR2 turbo, and a flat tyre out in the middle of nowhere. Not so much a problem as it did have a spare wheel. Changed the rear wheel over to a space saver then found the rear tyre of the turbo version didn't fit in the space under the bonnet where the space saver was. And the boot is small since mid engined. So the result was one very unhappy wife holding a mucky road wheel on her lap :LOL:

Reminds me of my brother and his MR2 turbo, and a flat tyre out in the middle of nowhere. Not so much a problem as it did have a spare wheel. Changed the rear wheel over to a space saver then found the rear tyre of the turbo version didn't fit in the space under the bonnet where the space saver was. And the boot is small since mid engined. So the result was one very unhappy wife holding a mucky road wheel on her lap :LOL:
I had a very similar experience when I helped a woman at the airpump one day who was taking ages and I wanted to use the pump. She couldn't get the pump to work

"my husband said to take it to sainsbury's and put some air in it" she said. Asking her where she had come from she had driven from a place called "ringland hills" on the far west of Norwich. Where there is a sainsbury's, driven all the way round the bypass to the other side of Norwich some 14 miles and decided to use the pump there for some god unknown reason.

Anyway the Tire was F with a capital ucked and there was nothing left of the inner tire wall (no wonder it wouldn't pump up)

So I offered to change the wheel for her. She had a space saver in the boot. This took no time at all. But when it came to putting the 18inch wheel back in the boot of her Audi TT convertible, well no surprise it would not even fit through the hole in the boot. I found a bag with the spare wheel that was very thick and strong material but was huge. It became apparent this was to put the wheel on the passenger seat... So if she'd had a passenger she would have been leaving them behind as the wheel was so big once on the seat she'd have not gotten anyone in the passenger seat... I suppose she could of opened her roof and had the passenger balance it on their lap, but 14 miles in the dead of winter, that would not have been a good trip home, as it was she had to dump some of her shopping to get the wheel in the car.

At least the MR2 has sensible sized wheels.

Also depending on what you pay for...don't assume you'll get any more than dragged to a nearby garage if you actually do need recovery...
..I guess I'll..cross..that bridge..when I..come to..it.. 👀

Though at no point did I think a flat tyre of any kind would fall into that criteria.

I actually might just grab the number of a recovery firm in NI and ask what a random (anytime) tow, from a maximum theoretical of ~70 miles which probably covers anywhere I go, for it to be towed back to our garage. Might be best to just keep that amount of cash concealed in the car for such a situation. Then get the nearest bus... failing that.. taxi back.

The one time I did have RAC included in my insurance was 2015 when the Panda fuel pump went dead mid drive. They turned up. Asked me where I wanted it towed to, at the time I was on the 4th mechanic / next village over to me. He towed the car there. Gave me a lift there. Then as I waited for him to finish talking to the mechanic (who he obviously knew well) they sort of just stopped, looked at me and said "that's your sorted now, sure get back to us when you have the fuel pump ordered if that's what you want to do", and continued their conversation. Ended up walking home ~2 miles, not the end of the world. But I did think that they were supposed to take you home or to your destination... Oh how naive I was then...

In fairness, I did try a trick on them, I ordered the pump, £140 / Bosch one if I remember. That mechanic quoted me £150 for labour to FIT it. Local Fiat dealer at the time quoted £35.. knew there was something wrong. Asked Fiat 'why so little?' - "there's a hatch under the back seat, 30 minute job". Called the mechanic... "why does the labour for this cost so much?" He replied "we have to lift the car up, drop out the fuel tank etc". I said "okay..". Rang back up about 10 minutes later "did you check if there was a hatch under the back seat?". Mechanic replied "Yeah we checked, none there.".. Lying b******. This was December 2015. Headed down to their yard, mechanic wasn't there, just his (retired mechanic) father who pushed the car up a gradient with me, to get it out on the street. This was after 2-3 weeks of it sitting in their yard. Now New Years Eve. My plan was: call RAC, say it broke down, say the parts here "we knew it was bad but it still worked!" and get them to fit it. Unfortunately for me, exact same guy was on duty, he knew the road was the same road he recovered it to.. He rang after an hour of my initial "send help" call. Called and said "we can't work on anything fuel related on the road side it's too dangerous". So me and my friend rolled it into a nearby car park. Next day my uncle towed it back to the garage. Four Allen keys and 20 minutes later, it was running again.

Mechanic did lie.. Pretty sure the RAC guy did neglect the duty to at least offer me that lift home.. It was his diagnosis of the fuel pump which turned out to be spot on, as he lay under it and thumped the bottom of the tank, which let the car start again to drive it onto his recovery vehicle.

Anyway, many lessons learnt from that experience. I think that was the only time that Panda actually let me down in terms of being out somewhere and breaking down. Oh the memories! I was so buzzing on that New Years Day, cleaning it up and then offering anyone and everyone in the family lifts to/from the town and each others houses for New Years parties etc.

Attachments

• OldPhotos0415 (51).JPG
    OldPhotos0415 (51).JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • OldPhotos0415 (50).JPG
    OldPhotos0415 (50).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Fitting Fuel Pump (4).jpg
    Fitting Fuel Pump (4).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • Fitting Fuel Pump (3).jpg
    Fitting Fuel Pump (3).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • Fitting Fuel Pump (2).jpg
    Fitting Fuel Pump (2).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • Fitting Fuel Pump (1).jpg
    Fitting Fuel Pump (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
  • Fiat Panda (8).jpg
    Fiat Panda (8).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
I would like to say not all mechanics are like that.:)
Statistically I'd say there is some good ones out there... just not in my locale. Tried all four within a 2 mile radius in the space of 6 months and every one of them were useless.

I started driving in 2014 (my mums Corsa C at the time). When she needed work done there was two mechanics she had used (bearing in mind she hadn't changed the oil from getting that car in 2009 til it's eventual death in 2015 - it wasn't too often). First guy wasn't answering the phone, that was Local Mechanic A. This guy barely ever answered his phone, but drove about in a lime green van advertising his car repair business.. Looking at his parents yard where he operated from, it was all old 90s Fords and molested VAG cars with things like missing headlights and no wheels sitting around, I suspect he was only interested in work like that. Other guy Local Mechanic B had it post head-gasket failure and declared it not worth fixing. Sat in his yard for a couple of months, developed some really bizarre and disugsting mold all over the interior and then he coincidentally found a buyer who would take it for £100, and had the cheek to ask me for further discount as he was loading it onto their trailer! Never went back to him for my cars.

Then in September 2015 bought a very old, basically done Corsa C for £450. I must have had about £1500 in the bank at that point, didn't start uni as planned, had a year of likely unemployment so I bought that, thought it'd soon pay for itself. Being naive, I thought taking it to Local Mechanic C (one my mum used pre-MOT) would get it fixed up and good as any other used old Corsa C. They diagnosed a few things: sub frame, oil pressure sensor, MAF sensor, and I think something else. £450 for that work. Paid it. Got it back, a week late it broke down again when I was signing up for JSA at the time. Miserable old experience it was! Started dying out.. managed to make it to a Tesco car park. It was dripping a trail of petrol behind it. Had it towed home. Then towed to the same mechanic, they let it sit for about 4 weeks straight (of me ringing up each Monday, asking if they know what's wrong and what it'd cost to fix). This was before I understood that basically meant they weren't interested. Luckily for me, my sister was buying a new car at the time and the 05 Panda handed down to her, was handed down to me. Ended up getting £150 for the Corsa.. big loss as a time when I could have done with the money. Mostly my fault for being naive and buying it in the first place.. Never went back to Local Mechanic C.

Then with the Panda, took it to Local Mechanic D (one discussed above) as another friend / his family all used that guy. Still within 2 miles of where I live. Said he's great, never rips them off, always does a great job... (don't they all say that? All the non-car people!). First took it to him to get the lights aligned pre-MOT, not issues as such. Then when it broke down that November he lied to me about the fuel pump thing so I decided never to go back to him.

That was the final straw really for mechanics in general for me, none since. Bar tyres and bodywork, and of course, warranty work at dealer where necessary. My experience with dealerships wasn't too bad, I took the Panda in 2016 to Fiat and got a 'major service'. They did the work, quite friendly, shame that dealership is closed now. Gave me a long list of things wrong with it like an exhaust issue, a seeping leak, shocks basically done, broken spring, handbrake adjustment issue... Things we all checked and were legitimate issues. Around that point I had asked my uncle for help changing the oil on the Panda and was starting to learn everything I could from him about repairing cars. He had all the tools / experience / garage and that and was keen to get some projects going through my Panda. We'd do things on his VW Bora too and other cars in the family. Really fun and ultimately, the shitty experiences with local mechanics definitely worked out in the end to a decent knowledge of cars and now I do most things myself - even silly mods like the lights / heated seats and that brake bleed the other day. I suppose if I had to choose, the hassle was worth the result.

Another local mechanic in the area who one of our relatives that always has a fairly new Audi A4 over the last two decades, recently paid £700+ for a clutch change.... for a bog standard, run-of-the-mill diesel non performance car. I thought that was shocking. Again, when asked "He always looks after us. Great mechanic. Fair prices. Perfect work".... ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back