Technical Another broken breather pipe!

Currently reading:
Technical Another broken breather pipe!

Has anyone pursued this known fault with Fiat?, I don't just mean getting it repaired.

I know it's not my dealers fault that my car (now to renamed Christine) seems to want me dead, but im sure as hell going to let them know Im not too please about it!

This thread caught my eye for the very reason the breather pipe has just been replaced on my 500 a week ago under warranty. I don't get to drive my car as much as I would like - I walk to work - and my husband 'borrows' it. I had a meeting to drive to and giving a lift to a workmate she commented on the new car smell. I could also smell it as the car warmed up. Driving 30 miles home later wasn't pleasant. The car has only just done 7,000 miles.

*Careful naming your car Christine, we named our daughter just that- good days she was the heroine in 'Phantom' my husband favourite silent film- she was born before the Lloyd-Webber Opera and on bad days, she was that Plymouth Fury.
She inturn named her Renault Clio 'Arnie' and her boyfriend hated it..........
In 2009 she fell ill at the wheel on her way to work and although the car continued to drive along the road she was already dead. We like to think 'Arnie' was trying to get her to a safe place.

Looks like its a proper common problem this breather hose thing. I was driving back from college today and noticed a smell of petrol in the car and i had the fans on #2 setting. And it progressively got worse as i was coming home so drove home with the window open freezing my chebs off. So FIAT blackpool will be getting a call tomorrow. My cars only upto 4240 miles so its not exactly done loads of miles so i would expected it to last longer. Clearly not :(

Have you had a look on the well known auction site? Just type in Fiat 500 breather pipe. I assume what you may find is what you're looking for.....

I've not looked for one because i refuse to pay for one my cars not even a year old yet. FIAT can sort it out at their cost.

Have you had a look on the well known auction site? Just type in Fiat 500 breather pipe. I assume what you may find is what you're looking for.....

The car is under warranty, so why pay for a pipe when the repair is free and the part will be in stock and able to be fitted the same day?

Sorry guys, I engaged fingers on keyboard before engaging my brain. Obviously, the warranty route is the correct thing to do. The point I should have made at the time, is that looking on the well known auction site shows that the breather pipe has apparently been superseded with an upgraded version which probably explains why there have apparently been problems.

Sorry guys, I engaged fingers on keyboard before engaging my brain. Obviously, the warranty route is the correct thing to do. The point I should have made at the time, is that looking on the well known auction site shows that the breather pipe has apparently been superseded with an upgraded version which probably explains why there have apparently been problems.

You'd also see that most, if not all, the new pipes on ebay are being sold by Fiat Dealers anyway. ;)

You'd also see that most, if not all, the new pipes on ebay are being sold by Fiat Dealers anyway. ;)

Exactamundo. I suspect a lot of people who have gone to Fiat dealers for servicing have had their breather pipes replaced without them knowing. A woman at work has a 59 place c which wouldn't have had the new pipe when it was built but when I checked her car it had the new pipe. The dealership say that they'd had as near as makes no difference, a 100% failure rate of the pipes. My car has had the new pipe since April or May and is fine, it's a silicone pipe so there's no seam for it to crack along.

This is so going to read like I'm feeling sorry for myself, but this kind of serves me right for trying to be helpful.

I'll try and grow up and stop interfering.

I actually have no idea whether our own 500 has the new upgraded breather pipe or not. The car was built last November. I suppose I should check.

This is so going to read like I'm feeling sorry for myself, but this kind of serves me right for trying to be helpful.

I'll try and grow up and stop interfering.

I actually have no idea whether our own 500 has the new upgraded breather pipe or not. The car was built last November. I suppose I should check.

No need to apologise whatsoever!

Have you offended anyone? Nope
Have you given out harmful information? Nope

You made a mistake, you didn't do anything worth apologising for :)

Maxi, cheers, thanks for your kind words. I was feeling a bit miffed because I'd noticed several weeks ago looking for stuff for the 500 that the breather pipe issue appears to have been a problem.

I've also now seen via searches on this forum, that this subject has raised its ugly head a few months back and the consensus by some forum members back then was, don't bother going to the dealer to get it fixed, save the fuel going there and sort it out yourself.

I personally don't agree with that particular sentiment if the car is under warranty and I would always suggest taking the dealership to task for original manufacturer faults. Certainly, if I do find that our own breather pipe is original defective stock, I will take it up with my own local Fiat dealer when it goes in for its first service end of next February unless of course it splits in the meantime!

Maxi, cheers, thanks for your kind words. I was feeling a bit miffed because I'd noticed several weeks ago looking for stuff for the 500 that the breather pipe issue appears to have been a problem.

I've also now seen via searches on this forum, that this subject has raised its ugly head a few months back and the consensus by some forum members back then was, don't bother going to the dealer to get it fixed, save the fuel going there and sort it out yourself.

I personally don't agree with that particular sentiment if the car is under warranty and I would always suggest taking the dealership to task for original manufacturer faults. Certainly, if I do find that our own breather pipe is original defective stock, I will take it up with my own local Fiat dealer when it goes in for its first service end of next February unless of course it splits in the meantime!

I think by now all the old stock should be out of the system.

Have a look at your pipe, if it's kind of glossy and has no moulding seams running down the sides then it's the upgraded one, if it has the moulding seams then it will most likely already be split. Whether or not you've got a smell in the car, your pipe will probably have split. The one on the rear of the airbox tends to perish as well.

Back