Technical Another broken breather pipe!

Currently reading:
Technical Another broken breather pipe!

I've been told because it's not a "safety" issue, you won't get a letter in the post or anything. Instead, they'll automatically be doing them when the customer next brings their car into the dealer.

So I'm guessing the 500's will be getting re-called in the same way..

So officially not a recall then, more like a Service Bulletin. ;)

Would be interesting to see if they replace it automatically (free of charge) on a vehicle that's out of warranty...

According to Ford Etis, it's an "outstanding field service action"..

62886213.jpg

Wonder whether it was Ford receiving info from Ka customers about it that spured Fiat onto doing something. Its been going on for a few years on the Grande Punto.

Having experienced the breather pipe problem in my 500, I think it's fair to say that anyone with any level vigilence will notice the smell.

As a driver you have a responsibility not only to yourself but your passengers, other road users and the public; if you notice a problem and decide to not act on it ASAP then it is simply irresponsible.

Now Fiat are aware of the problem and are shipping a different breather pipe then I would like to think this issue will be weaned off any problematic cars.

Having experienced the breather pipe problem in my 500, I think it's fair to say that anyone with any level vigilence will notice the smell.

As a driver you have a responsibility not only to yourself but your passengers, other road users and the public; if you notice a problem and decide to not act on it ASAP then it is simply irresponsible.

That's my view as well. Whilst it's not good that this part is subject to fairly high levels of failure, the car never came with a guarantee that it would be free of failure.......

Sadly on here people shy away from taking personal responsibility for their safety and think that because they paid Fiat some money that it's their responsibility.

So what happens if a driver has no sence of smell and never actually knows untill damage has been caused?

Is that still the drivers fault?

I imagine if the driver has no sense of smell yet was feeling the nauseous or incapacitating effects of fume exposure then they would hopefully seek assistance anyway :rolleyes:

No matter your situation (what's next? "What about people with one hand- and can't indicate?" :p) it is your responsibility to maintain a vehicle (via a garage if necessary) to road worthy and safe standards.

Forums are bound to contain mixed opinions - as long as people don't take things personally :)

Having dealt with accidents (and ramifications of accidents) caused by easily avoidable maintenance issues I think it's really important that drivers are vigilant with their vehicles and take necessary actions in a timely manner.

Anyway, swarming OT a little here ; OP, how did you get on with your replacement parts?

Well in my case the fumes were noticed after a short period so there was not risk of me being incapacitated by it. But as I said as an Asthmatic exposure to exhaust fumes had after effects making me unwell. What had happened if I had been hospitalised with breathing difficulties? - Maybe a letter from Fiat saying I shoudnt of driven the car.... hindsight is a wonderful thing!

But we digress....

Fixed by Fiat with an apology , at least i got a free car wash out of it!

Oh... one more thing how about if a few friend and myself had been siting in the car...erm 'smoking' stuff.... with the engine running and failed to notice the build of of fumes?

Last edited:
it's oil fumes, not petrol fumes and anyone who smokes in a car with an asthmatic is a plonker (I have asthma too)

it's oil fumes, not petrol fumes and anyone who smokes in a car with an asthmatic is a plonker (I have asthma too)

I was more hinting about the build up of smoke whithin the car, asthmatic aside.

So imagine if you will... It's raining outside and rather jolly cold, two young chaps sit in a friends Fiat 500 ( he is not smoking as he will be driving :idea: ) smoking a little Mary Jane (legal for some faiths :slayer:) ... not in the best condition to spot that the car is filling with fumes. Later the friend comes back and both are dead :eek:

Stranger thinsgs happen :p- Would Fiat be liable

Last edited:

It is actually combustion gasses. The purpose of the breather being to relieve crankcase pressure from gasses that slip past the piston rings. Always a good indicator of a worn engine if there is loads of smoke and fumes from the breather, but I'm sure you know this:)

It is actually combustion gasses. The purpose of the breather being to relieve crankcase pressure from gasses that slip past the piston rings. Always a good indicator of a worn engine if there is loads of smoke and fumes from the breather, but I'm sure you know this:)
I thought it would be mainly oil though?

Wonder whether it was Ford receiving info from Ka customers about it that spured Fiat onto doing something. Its been going on for a few years on the Grande Punto.

If that's the case i wish they'd spur them into doing something about the washer jets :bang: I think that's been going on for about the same amount of time.

Fiat were aware of it for some time (about a year or two after the Grande was launched). Once it became widespread they would have begun investigating the causes and testing different rubber compounds and engineering solutions, all of which would have taken some time to get a conclusive result before a full scale production run could begin.

The fact it coincided with Ford deciding to use the 500/Panda chassis for it's city car is just that- a coincidence. ;)

If that's the case i wish they'd spur them into doing something about the washer jets :bang: I think that's been going on for about the same amount of time.

Does the KA have that problem aswell then?

Fiat were aware of it for some time (about a year or two after the Grande was launched). Once it became widespread they would have begun investigating the causes and testing different rubber compounds and engineering solutions, all of which would have taken some time to get a conclusive result before a full scale production run could begin.

The fact it coincided with Ford deciding to use the 500/Panda chassis for it's city car is just that- a coincidence. ;)

They need to work abit faster then. The Grande Punto was launched at the start of 2006, so even if they found out two years later, that's 2008. That means it's taken them 3 years to arrange production of a new breather hose. They've designed whole new cars in not much longer (new Bravo for example).

Surely they use breather hoses in other cars? It's only the 500 & Grande Punto that i've heard of with widespread problems, so you'd think they might use the same material as those used on the Panda or Bravo for example?

I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark & conclude that something ain't quite right somewhere.

Just booked my car in for its 3rd service and 1st MOT, mentioned it needed a new breather pipe, was told they where getting a new style one, but this part is not covered under the 3rd year dealer warrenty ( along with just about anything other than a major engine failure, so probably nothing that it may fail an MOT on:bang:)

As my breather pipe was replaced after the last service - a month after the 2 years where up but reported before, I asked if the part was still covered as under 1 year old, aparently not, so anything that gets replaced in last week of the 2 year manufacturers warrenty is covered for another week only, how very impressive:cry:, FIAT must really trust their replacement parts ALOT.

Back