Technical Alternator belt

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator belt

adzAbarth89

hi guys, driving home last night heard a scuttling noise from the engine bay and the "alternator failure" light flashed up on my dash of my stilo Abarth, when i got home i checked the battery and it wasnt charging so checked the alternator and found the tension belt had give and shredded, are these easy to replace myself? my car is under warranty but if it was a straight swap i would just put it on myself to save the hassle of getting it to a garage, thanks :D

adam:)

well aparently ive read a few pages this morning and if its clicking it means its not at full tension and needs changing, im just wanting to know if its easy to change it lol

...is thinking the same :s ive bought the belt and found a mechanic to fit it for me so all is well :D plus my eibach sportlines arrived this morning :))

if its anything like the belt on 1.8 (which it probably is.. iirc) then (given the tensioner stays put) it is a very easy thing to do

if its anything like the belt on 1.8 (which it probably is.. iirc) then (given the tensioner stays put) it is a very easy thing to do

Tensioner is self adjustable on the 2.4 DR. Max and you have to use a tool to prise the belt on over the blommin pulley cos there is no adjustment on the alternator like what there is on a proper car..;) :D

a) stays put i.e. not being removed/replaced
b) don't need to adjust the alternator pulley - with tentioner moved all the way down (one would use an open ended wrench for that.. it does require some strength though.. one could also use a special fiat tool.. that doesn’t require much strength..) the belt just slides on
c) if you still can't pull the belt on - there is a way to move down one of the fixed tensioners ( the one right next/under the alternator) (you would need huge Torx bits though - T50 or 55 iirc.. the tensioner is mounted on a rod/arm held on with two long bolts.. if you remove the lower one.. you can pivot the arm with tensioner a few CM anticlockwise.. which moves it down and takes some tension off the belt.. the arm has a nice deep hole at the bottom to insert a metal rod/wrench so as to move it about)

Hi, the alternator on the 2.4 has no adjustment, it is driven by the pulley on the air con. compressor, which also has no adjustment. You need a stretchy belt part number 46758804 only from fiat parts department.

Hi, the alternator on the 2.4 has no adjustment, it is driven by the pulley on the air con. compressor, which also has no adjustment. You need a stretchy belt part number 46758804 only from fiat parts department.

Correct.. its nothing like Dr.max's 1.8
To remove the belt..

[1] Unscrew retaining bolts
[2] Remove auto tensioner..

2025607.jpg

To fit belt..

[1] Run the new belt over air con genny pulley and position tool [1a] along with its extension [1b] in the alternator seating..then bring the tool under the belt [1c] and turn 180 degrees in the arrowed direction..

[2] belt is then blommin fitted..ta daaa..:p

2025608.jpg

Re fit auto tensioner and jobs a good un..

Last edited:
you looked at the procedure for 1.8 then? :ROFLMAO:

No Max.. but from memory thats how the abarth is done..not had a look at the 1.8..only ever worked on one.. but I take it its the same then I stand corrected..:D

Last edited:
No Max.. but from memory thats how the abarth is done..not had a look at the 1.8..only ever worked on one.. but I take it its the same then I stand corrected..:D

i've not seen a 2.4 in flesh.. but have looked at it via eLearn..aux + timing belt are same procedures (1.8 and 2.4 are closely related i.e. they share many design features including the variator, numerous sensors, clutch actuation mechanisms, etc.) and given that the aux belt is attached/routed and replaced in the same way - it can be installed without removing anything apart for the wheel, wheel mould/side trim and undertray (assuming you do not need to replace any of the tensioners) - this can be done in under30 min using nothing but the most basic kit :yum:

I had my alternator belt replaced as it was fraying, and as the air con belt needs to be removed to replace the alternator belt (as they are both on the same pully) i replaced that belt also ,,the alternator belt is "stretchy" but you try stretching by hand you have no chance!!!! i payed £32 for the 2 belts and £24 at garage as it only took 45 min ,,as peeps have already said there is no movement/adjustment at alternator as it is permanently fixed

1.8 and (unless i'm seriously mistaken.. in which case my apologies to everyone and to PNL specifically) 2.4 have just 1 aux belt that drives both the alternator and the air con.. and yes there is no adjustment on the alternator itself

Back