Technical Tips on how to change serpentine belt on my JTD115

Currently reading:
Technical Tips on how to change serpentine belt on my JTD115

ruispeed3d

Hey guys,
I was recently learning on how to change the alternator/serpentine belt because my belt started squealing when i accelerate at low rpm despite stopping at higher rpm's or at idle. the belt already has lots of cuts from being made from hard rubber or made from a bad material since it is really not old whatsoever, so i'll go ahead and change it.

So i recently watched some videos on some 1.9 cdti engines wich i think share the same block (the engines look identical) but as i noticed, despite being very similar, the serpentine belt on my car is a bit different than the one i watched.

the method i saw has placing a offset ring spanner on the tensioner bearing's bolt and applying force clockwise to loosen the belt and then removing it BUT in my car if i was gonna do that same procedure i would have to apply force counter clockwise in order to loosen the belt but doing it this way, i'm afraid i end up loosening the bearings bolt instead of loosening the tension itself.

Any tips from you guys on how to best loosen the tensioner so i can change my belt? i tried to find a guide on the forum but it was unsuccessful, maybe 'll try making one if i end up changing it myself.

Thank you guys in advance.

Anti-clockwise is the only way I know of loosening tension of the automatic tensioner.

You will need a long 15mm spanner to release and hold the tension. While holding the spanner anti clockwise, remove the auxiliary belt from as many pulleys as possible then release the spanner slowly.

Attachments

• PICT1578.JPG
    PICT1578.JPG
    935.5 KB · Views: 43
Anti-clockwise is the only way I know of loosening tension of the automatic tensioner.

You will need a long 15mm spanner to release and hold the tension. While holding the spanner anti clockwise, remove the auxiliary belt from as many pulleys as possible then release the spanner slowly.
Hi Davren, as always you delivered, thank you for the reply and for the attachment.

I guess that's the way i'll do it, the only thing i was afraid is that if i put enough force on the spanner i'll end up undoing the bolt that holds the bearing in place, instead of moving the hole tensioner assembly XD but i'm guessing it's holding pretty tight and wont give in to the force applied, only the spring. Fingers crossed.

One last thing, not trying to bother you with this matter even more but if i was to remove the tensioner, but only the tensioner would i be able to do it?

I mean, it seems that it is slightly hidden behind the crankshaft pulley so i wonder if i have to remove that pulley in order to remove the tensioner.

Thank you in advance

Rui Louro

Hi varesecrazy, thank you for your reply

Actually got some good info and attachments on that thread. Did you have any trouble with the bolt holding the tensioner's bearing in place? I was afraid it would unbolt since i'm applying force that way(counterclockwise), but it seems everyone does it this way(maybe it's the only way) so i guess it's alright.

Tank you very much

Rui Louro

Hi varesecrazy, thank you for your reply

Actually got some good info and attachments on that thread. Did you have any trouble with the bolt holding the tensioner's bearing in place? I was afraid it would unbolt since i'm applying force that way(counterclockwise), but it seems everyone does it this way(maybe it's the only way) so i guess it's alright.

Tank you very much

Rui Louro

The bolt could easily by a reverse thread to prevent this
Or done up so tight that the spring gives way before the bolt starts to loosen

Yes..I suspect it is a LeftHandThread..

(Chances are the roller actually runs CCW driven by the belt..)

ruispeed3d
I had to remove the Crank pulley to swap the broken tensioner for a new one.. there is no space

Just prepare with a Hex.15mm ( NOT bi.hex)

And wear strong gloves ;)
Ahhh i was hoping that would not be needed but i guess it's fine, should not be that hard.

Actually i think you're right, the belt runs CCW so the bolt must have a reverse thread. Anyway this next weekend i'll go ahead and replace it.

Went to a new mechanic at the start of the year to replace the crank pulley, and they ended up also replacing the belt but i don't know what the f*ck they put in there because it is already bone dry and filled with cuts all over the "V" ridges only 5 or 6 months later :bang:

Let's just see how much that (probably cheap) pulley will last too even though i paid a fairly high price for the service and was expecting medium to high quality products.

Anyway thank you all for the answers and for helping me. I will also try and help anyone on this community whenever i'm familiar with the topic because you've been helping me a lot with my problems and i will always try to return the favor whenever i can.

Rui Louro

Last edited:
The key to fitting the aux' belt is to get as long a spanner as you can. That gives you a lot of leverage and (assuming you raised the car enough for the spanner to not touch the ground as you turn it) makes this job very simple.

I bought a flat Aviation spanner, made by Bergen. You can rotate the tensioner round until it touches the end-stop with one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183230041432?hash=item2aa95c8d58:g:vOUAAOSwsE5ZlWbT

It's flat, which helps. There's no room in there for a swan neck or any other profile of spanner, or a socket.

The Bergen jobbie is a fair bit of cash for a single spanner, and I only use mine for the belt tensioner, since it's too long to use for anything else.... but it's one of those "best things I ever bought". You'll wonder why you didn't buy one sooner.

Don't faff about with the tensioner itself. You can remove the pulley to remove the belt.. but that's no better than just cutting the belt off.. since you'll never be able to refit the pulley with a new belt on there.

Ralf S.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back