Technical Alternator charging light

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator charging light

I believe I have deleted all my Stilo pictures now but if you do a search you may find a post i did on the D4, way back in history which probably had a few pics

Rather than split the connector just back probe the connector on either side and check for continuity ( a lot less drastic:))

The earth node is a black rectangular plastic covered item with multiple earth lines going there and the whole lot attached to the inner wing

Last edited:
I believe I have deleted all my Stilo pictures now but if you do a search you may find a post i did on the D4, way back in history which probably had a few pics

Rather than split the connector just back probe the connector on either side and check for continuity ( a lot less drastic:))

The earth node is a black rectangular plastic covered item with multiple earth lines going there and the whole lot attached to the inner wing

I read your post about the D4. You clearly know your stuff. There are 2 connectors (other than power feeds) going into to fuse box in the bonnet. But im not sure which (or possibly both) are the D4. Your guide seems to be saying the black one? But there is also a brown one.

Ive done the voltage drop test you describe between the bat -ve and the earth point on the inner wing and its 0.01/0.02 so im guessing this is ok.

Ive just checked the earth point near the body computer (which I hadnt found before) but that seems ok too.

Ive also tried to clean the connectors (D4?) under the fuse box (near the battery) with contact cleaner and dental brushes)

Ive got 14 v at the power feeds to the body computer but im convinced the issue is the body computer not recognising the alternator voltage.

I have the elearn disc and hence wiring diagrams but im guess they're not helping me.

Does the body computer need to read the signal from the small wire from the alternator? Cos if it does im guessing its something to do with that but i dont know how to confirm or eliminate that.

I read your guide on back probing and have ordered accupuncture needles so i'll give that a try.

The problem is i cant get to the connectors with the car running cos as soon as i separate a connector the engine cuts out.

My guess is youd identify the issue inside 5 minutes but im going round and round.

The problem was initially intermittent which suggested a connection/wire failing. Ive stripped back some of the shrouding at the back of the battery box which looks most susceptible to chaffing but no obvious signs of an issue.

Id love to check continuity from the alternator (small wire) to the body computer but dont know where the other end is (at the body computer)

Really appreciate your help

And big thanks

I read another of your posts mentions an 'exciter' wire. Is that the small one going to the alternator?

If it is you say i should get 0v with ignition on (which I do) and 12/14v with engine running (which I do 14v ish) but it also says i should get 12v with ignition on but wire disconnected and the battery warning light should go out (it doesnt i dont have 12 volts and the warning light doesnt go out)

Does that suggest a broken wire/poor connection/continuity issue?

Back