Technical After resetting the ECU in AlfaOBD, the steering wheel buttons stopped working.

Currently reading:
Technical After resetting the ECU in AlfaOBD, the steering wheel buttons stopped working.

conbordino

Good morning,
I have a problem that I can't deal with. I needed to remove injector corrections and I used the "Reset ECU" function in the alfaOBD program, and I also removed adaptations in the engine module and unfortunately after this procedure I lost the ability to operate the buttons on the steering wheel.
I'm not sure if this was the cause, but I restored the backup settings in Alfa OBD, disconnected the battery, checked the connections, fuses, proxy alignment, errors and unfortunately I can't restore the buttons to work. The buttons are powered because the backlight is visible, the horn works,
Unfortunately, the buttons do not respond when pressed, so I cannot control the menu in the clocks or the radio. Do you have any advice on what could be the reason? Greetings from Poland, Adam.

Good morning,
I have a problem that I can't deal with. I needed to remove injector corrections and I used the "Reset ECU" function in the alfaOBD program, and I also removed adaptations in the engine module and unfortunately after this procedure I lost the ability to operate the buttons on the steering wheel.
I'm not sure if this was the cause, but I restored the backup settings in Alfa OBD, disconnected the battery, checked the connections, fuses, proxy alignment, errors and unfortunately I can't restore the buttons to work. The buttons are powered because the backlight is visible, the horn works,
Unfortunately, the buttons do not respond when pressed, so I cannot control the menu in the clocks or the radio. Do you have any advice on what could be the reason? Greetings from Poland, Adam.
Is your millage flashing?

Do the control's show up on the proxi menu?

No, the mileage lights up as it should - constantly. The alignment is correct, but I did not pay attention to whether the steering wheel was aligned because I do not know which module is responsible for it...

it's quite possible, and the car is a Fiat Tipo from 2016, engine 1.4 95 horsepower, Pop version. Do you have any idea how to do this? I tried to select different steering wheel configurations in the car configuration - unfortunately it did not solve the problem.

Last edited:
it's quite possible, and the car is a Fiat Tipo from 2016, engine 1.4 95 horsepower, Pop version. Do you have any idea how to do this? I tried to select different steering wheel configurations in the car configuration - unfortunately it did not solve the problem.
i will look in MES.

Hello again, today I found some time to connect the car to Multi ECU Scan. The modules that are currently available are visible in the screenshot of the program. Alignment with Multiecuscan did not change anything in terms of the fault, but I noticed one thing - I looked at the old Logs and noticed that one module was missing from the list - namely the "entertainment telmatic node", and I think this is the cause of the problem with the buttons. In previous posts I did not mention one quite important thing. Namely, some time ago I replaced the factory radio unit with a non-factory 2 din (Kenwood), and now I assume two options: either the missing module was integrated with the Radio, or when installing the new radio I accidentally unplugged the module plug. which is somewhere nearby, just If it's not on the radio, where can it be installed? Or maybe you have another theory about my problem?

PXL_20230913_165912587.jpg
PXL_20230913_181413608.NIGHT.jpg

Today I found a new clue.
Namely, I managed to backup the factory bcm configuration and using the hex editor, I managed to restore the car's factory settings - after applying the configuration, surprise - the buttons on the steering wheel started working! Unfortunately, the modules required alignment (the counter was flashing), so I made them using MES,
and here, unfortunately, the joy passed
the back buttons stopped working, why is this happening? Maybe the computer "sees" that something is connected instead of the factory radio and goes crazy?

Today I found a new clue.
Namely, I managed to backup the factory bcm configuration and using the hex editor, I managed to restore the car's factory settings - after applying the configuration, surprise - the buttons on the steering wheel started working! Unfortunately, the modules required alignment (the counter was flashing), so I made them using MES,
and here, unfortunately, the joy passed
the back buttons stopped working, why is this happening? Maybe the computer "sees" that something is connected instead of the factory radio and goes crazy?
Why do you think the new radio unit works 100% with your car? Read the new radio unit specification and see if they is exactly the same as the OEM radio unit. Dont brick your car trying all kinds of nonsense.

Why do you think the new radio unit works 100% with your car? Read the new radio unit specification and see if they is exactly the same as the OEM radio unit. Dont brick your car trying all kinds of nonsense.
It seems to me that there should be no problem with replacing the radio for a simple reason - there are many people on forums and groups who have replaced the factory radios with others (units not specifically adapted for tipo, e.g. Kenwood, Alpine) and have no problem with the trip and menu keys - I have a problem with them, I am aware that the radio control keys will not work. The menu control keys in the instrument panel can work without the radio, and why does it say so? Because after restoring the backup, the proxies work despite the lack of the original radio, the problem occurs after alignment - then they stop working :-|

You are right about others replacing the radio, but ashiuta makes a valid point these computerised things are paired up and its possible they are just incompatible. It wouldnt be the first time. Check the specs carefully. I would not rule out asking a dealer too. Sometimes they ahve seen it before and can help. I think somethime shte cars electronics are a bit crude and dont have the flexibility you should expect.

I have a theory about the incompatibility of the computer body with the new Radio. Well, the new non-factory radio unit uses the power supply of the old one, and it seems to me that the body computer is going crazy having the lack of radio stored in its memory while also seeing the power consumption. When I run out of ideas, I will connect a new unit directly to the battery and see if it solves the problem. However, it's hard to say whether this is the reason because in stores you can buy normal adapters to connect non-factory radios, and as I wrote, people do it and have no problems.

Back