General No More Tipo in The UK

Currently reading:
General No More Tipo in The UK

Read yesterday that they have stopped selling the Tipo in the UK
Not that FIAT tried very hard!
I always felt that the dealers weren't that bothered.
Its a much better car than people think, I was always getting the "oh, this is really nice"
It was nice and comfortable, although I would have preferred a stiffer chassis that turned in a bit better.
I've always said that if it had a Skoda badge on it the press would have raved, but its a Fiat and they were never going to like it that much.
I think they need something to replace the Punto and Tipo, rather than another SUV
They say the 600E replaces the Tipo and 500x, but its possibly too small.
Maybe we'll be able to afford a Tonale in a couple of years...
My General View
Good car, they should have worked harder selling it in the UK

Last edited:
Read yesterday that they have stopped selling the Tipo in the UK
Not that FIAT tried very hard!
I always felt that the dealers weren't that bothered.
Its a much better car than people think, I was always getting the "oh, this is really nice"
It was nice and comfortable, although I would have preferred a stiffer chassis that turned in a bit better.
I've always said that if it had a Skoda badge on it the press would have raved, but its a Fiat and they were never going to like it that much.
I think they need something to replace the Punto and Tipo, rather than another SUV
They say the 600E replaces the Tipo and 500x, but its possibly too small.
Maybe we'll be able to afford a Tonale in a couple of years...
My General View
Good car, they should have worked harder selling it in the UK
Definitely still never saw a single advert for the Tipo other then online in places like this forum

Rarely saw any outside a dealership either and certainly never saw a dealer demo car

Definitely still never saw a single advert for the Tipo other then online in places like this forum

Rarely saw any outside a dealership either and certainly never saw a dealer demo car
The T jet estate has appealed to me ever since I first saw one. However, as the grandchildren are now, mostly, older we don't need something that big so I'll probably never own one. Maybe better not anyway having read about stuff like road springs only being available from the dealer network. They are/were sold in quite small numbers so I recon parts, apart from stuff like filters etc, may become hard to source with any ease?

Around here you do see Tipos from time to time but pretty much never an estate.

Sadly it’s all going SUV direction now. Not because of consumer demand, because in order to make EVs work they need the space and in order to justify the spend, they need to pretend they’re selling you a big, rugged SUV.

Even if Fiat did replace it with an other Tipo or Punto namesake, it would have to fit into Peugeot’s range and essentially be a rebadge / new panel moulding and few unique interior pieces. And of course… electric. Which eliminates any sort of affordability.

The C-segment is really really hard to tap into. The most popular catch-all segment of cars sold. Decent size, decent practicality, usually was a decent engine choose, auto or manuals. It’d be hard to steal people away from the Focus, Golf and Astra. I wish Fiat had puts its money and attention into delivering us a next-gen 500 and Panda around the 2015 / 2018 marks respectively. Their bread and butter.

500L - people carrier, commercial disappointment.
124 Spider - sporty fun car, commercial disappointment.
Tipo - mid size family car, in most markets seems like a commercial disappointment.
Punto - small family car segment, they just gave up sadly and let it run on too long without a new model

500 - selling well
Panda - selling well

They never give attention to the cars that keep them alive and yet, when they do, they create a runaway success. I’ll never understand it

That will explain why my nearest Fiat dealer has a couple of older second hand Tipos and I have never seen the Cross there.

Fully agree. I’ve had my Tipo 1.4 petrol turbo for 4 1/2 years now and think it’s a brilliant car. Drives well plenty of power and pretty smooth. Looks good in metallic grey. Family and friends often say it looks good and didnt think it was a Fiat. My Fiat main dealer closed down in Dorset so I was left with Hampshire or Wiltshire….pretty poor show. I paid off my PCP and intend to run it as long as I can. Shame Fiat has not put the effort in.

They'll be sacking off anything not on a Stellantis platform as it can't be electrified properly and doesn't use the "right" engines and gearboxes.

Simple as that didn't sell enough to justify its existence.

Expect the 500x to go the same way..

My understanding was the Tipo was specifically made for the Turkish market and known as the Ægea and was never supposed to be sold in the uk anyway.

The relative sales failure of the 500L and the Punto being at the end of its life with the car being over 10 years old at this point they decided to bring it to the rest of Europe and the uk as the Tipo

It’s still based on the same underpinnings as the grande Punto. There are rumours circulating about a replacement of sorts for the Punto that is not the 600. But if not the 600 basically fills the same segment of the market at the Tipo. The demise of the Tipo has been talked about for a long time. I’m surprised it remained on sale this long

I like mine, have had it two years and done 12,000 trouble -free miles in it. Fiat can’t claim it’s a sales failure, as they’ve never advertised it in the uk as far as I can see. I did get a test drive in one though before I bought mine. - unregistered orange one. In two years I’ve had my cross I have seen two others - a garmin edition in ascot and a black one in the dark a few weeks ago in windlesham.

I have yet to see a Cross on the road. My nearest dealer has never had one.

Back