General Advice on buying a 2013 Fiat 500

Currently reading:
General Advice on buying a 2013 Fiat 500

To be fair, 500 is the classic car that learners and/or new drivers and/or people who like cute cars but don't actually like cars buy.

Some of the components aren't great but they're a) the same as fitted to the Panda and b) they're the same as fitted to other cars. Panda and Ford Ka are the same beast and both seem to have less "problems".

But in my mind if you buy a car that is likely to have been owned by a learner, and/or a new driver and/or people who like cute cars but don't actually like cars then you need to keep a few quid in your pocket to fix the things that they've wrecked or neglected.

My own experience with the Younger Mrs S' Rasputin is that 500s are really not fundamentally too shocking. Rasputin has been in the wars a bit. All of the front half of the car including the windscreen seem to have new paint and/or repainted panels from a donor from several different incidents etc. but the dampers are original, the wishbone arms are original, the radiator, alternator and engine mechanicals are original.. even the exhaust is original.

The clutch is admittedly "baggy", one of the driveshafts has a bit of play in it and the said exhaust flexi' has lost its braided cover... The instrument LED died which was "too soon" and the battery is not the Fiat one ... but on the plus side, the hub-caps look newer than the rest of the car.. so obviously someone liked the car enough to spend money on new set of factory hub-caps for it. The steel wheels have not been a stranger to the kerbs though... :D

It's a 2013 with 65,000 largely city miles on it.. so apart from a metaphorical raised eyebrow when the LED display failed, I don't have any complaints about what's wearing out on it.

Ralf S.

They're Italian, and as any Alfa (or ex-Alfa) owner would tell you, bits prematurely wearing out, the occasional screaming spanner hissy fit and general reliability niggles are the price you pay for a nice looking and (usually) sounding Italian car.

You could buy an ugly VW Up instead or an Aygo which looks a bit like a hamster, or a Mini which is really a BMW and has nothing in common with the original, but where's the fun in that? :)

To be fair, 500 is the classic car that learners and/or new drivers and/or people who like cute cars but don't actually like cars buy.

Some of the components aren't great but they're a) the same as fitted to the Panda and b) they're the same as fitted to other cars. Panda and Ford Ka are the same beast and both seem to have less "problems".

But in my mind if you buy a car that is likely to have been owned by a learner, and/or a new driver and/or people who like cute cars but don't actually like cars then you need to keep a few quid in your pocket to fix the things that they've wrecked or neglected.

My own experience with the Younger Mrs S' Rasputin is that 500s are really not fundamentally too shocking. Rasputin has been in the wars a bit. All of the front half of the car including the windscreen seem to have new paint and/or repainted panels from a donor from several different incidents etc. but the dampers are original, the wishbone arms are original, the radiator, alternator and engine mechanicals are original.. even the exhaust is original.

The clutch is admittedly "baggy", one of the driveshafts has a bit of play in it and the said exhaust flexi' has lost its braided cover... The instrument LED died which was "too soon" and the battery is not the Fiat one ... but on the plus side, the hub-caps look newer than the rest of the car.. so obviously someone liked the car enough to spend money on new set of factory hub-caps for it. The steel wheels have not been a stranger to the kerbs though... :D

It's a 2013 with 65,000 largely city miles on it.. so apart from a metaphorical raised eyebrow when the LED display failed, I don't have any complaints about what's wearing out on it.

Ralf S.
It’s unfortunate that my car seems to have developed most if not more of the often failing parts ?
All I can do now.. is to look back and sigh …. But then marvel at myself for all I have achieved fixing everything!

As I’ve said before, I intended on buying a car & looking after it but never imagined I’d get as involved as I have!
To date I have replaced..
The whole suspension
Rebuild & renovated my front brakes
Replaced drum brakes and drums
Replaced 2 gearbox seals
New alternator/belt & tensioner
New a/c compressor/condenser
New heater matrix
New thermostat
Timing belt/wpump/tensioner (help needed)
New earth strap
New master & slave (clutch)
New clutch
And I’m skipping over the engine troubles!!!!

All of this needed doing! I have of course changed other parts like the rad and fan that didn’t but seeing I was there ….? I seem to be in a “trouble” free zone now .. I’m touching wood! And hopefully long may it continue ?
But geez Louise…. If I could go back! I would!

You realize now, after all that "bonding" you're going to find it very difficult to part from it! Happens to me with nearly every car I buy, expend lots of time effort and money getting it just right and then go through agonies when, usually, after many years rust finishes it off!
Yeah I know jock! I’ve hugged my car I’ve kicked and sworn at her slammed my doors in disgust and then loved her with wax and under seal ?
Long may she live is all I can say! I may go a bit overboard in the preservation process but prevention is better than a cure?

I’m thinking that I’ll be ok when it’s time to part … but not for a good few years yet! Or I’d be distraught ?

I have been trying to get my wife to part ex the 500c for a couple of years now, but she loves the car and won’t sell it. Especially, as Fiat don’t do the red and white interior anymore.

She wanted a red 500c auto, with the red and white interior. We found one secondhand and she won’t part with it. The first Lady owner of her car ended up buying a Pop for more money than a Lounge with Pop seats (it was an option back then). Clearly she wanted the old fashioned interior, but with all the other options ticked.

The 500 is a massive success compared to the Beetle, PT cruiser and even the Mini. It really is greater than the sum of its parts.

Now my advice to the OP would be to get a 500c, rather than a hatchback. That’s because when the Sun comes out and you peel back the roof, you’ll forgive it all it’s failings.

As I’ve said before, I intended on buying a car & looking after it but never imagined I’d get as involved as I have!
To date I have replaced..
The whole suspension
Rebuild & renovated my front brakes
Replaced drum brakes and drums
Replaced 2 gearbox seals
New alternator/belt & tensioner
New a/c compressor/condenser
New heater matrix
New thermostat
Timing belt/wpump/tensioner (help needed)
New earth strap
New master & slave (clutch)
New clutch
And I’m skipping over the engine troubles!!!!
I'd view most of that as typical wear and tear for car ownership.

You’ve got to take your hat off to Baglady, she stuck with a car that let her down big time. Learning what to do and replace as she did. Doing all this repairs herself, putting some lads on here to shame. ;)
Hear hear Jim. It was like some sort of a serial thriller - I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the next installment! Good on yer Chris!

Hear hear Jim. It was like some sort of a serial thriller - I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the next installment! Good on yer Chris!
Aww you guys ? I’m blushing!! But thank you! There ain’t much on the car now that I haven’t replaced! Most needed some preventative… she’s a sweet little car and drives like a dream .. I pray to god she stays that way ?

Just remembered one more thing I’ve done I replaced my evaporator draining pipe .. made it a little longer and flattened the end like the original
It was draining water that was leaking onto the subframe and pooling on the wishbone rubber bushing ..

Last edited:
Certainly don’t want to patronise, but you’re possibly the only female on here that’s serious on servicing and tackling tricky jobs on your car with success, as I said before you’re putting some lads to shame as well. Enjoy your car. :)

I certainly do enjoy my car and I have that feeling of pride driving her every day!
Something that’s definitely lacking with some people ? including my partner!!
On a separate note though … if I hadn’t done all I have… she would have gone
To someone else and I would have been out of pocket by a lot!!
Growing up with nothing definitely instilled something in me … I definitely look after what I own!

Certainly don’t want to patronise, but you’re possibly the only female on here that’s serious on servicing and tackling tricky jobs on your car with success

What difference does being female make?
And what's tricky?, they all look run-of-the-mill jobs when working on a car.

It's more shameful that most people cant or wont do basic car mantenance these days.

Certainly don’t want to patronise, but you’re possibly the only female on here that’s serious on servicing and tackling tricky jobs on your car with success, as I said before you’re putting some lads to shame as well. Enjoy your car. :)

I don't think that's patronizing Jim, sounds like paying a compliment to me. My daughter is a civil engineer and, although she spends much of her time designing bridges and trying to figure out how to construct a swimming pool for a penthouse flat etc she's also very capable with manual tasks like changing a puncture and checking and topping up her engine oil. I once asked her if she'd like to learn how to do her servicing but she said no because she's enough to do looking after her husband, kids and household duties as well as her engineering work. Then there's the problem of getting rid of the ingrained dirt when the next thing you might be doing is laundering the sheets.

So I think there are women who would otherwise be interested and like to get more involved with cars but the practicalities of everyday life conspire to defeat their ambition - possibly, ever has it been thus for women?

Personally I’m not offended if a male gives me gratis for doing what society deems a “male” job!
Obviously women can do the same jobs on a car as a man and dare I say in some cases better!! But that comes down to the person doing the job.
I am a perfectionist and will go the extra to make sure it’s right.

As for some of the jobs I’ve done on the car I wouldn’t consider jacking up an engine to change a tensioner run of the mill ? or straight forward
As to with changing the entire suspension!

I’m in my late 40s and definitely not as strong as an average man so achieving what I have .. all by myself!! I’ll take those complements!!!!!

And I don’t mind the odd wolf whistle either ?

What difference does being female make?
And what's tricky?, they all look run-of-the-mill jobs when working on a car.

It's more shameful that most people cant or wont do basic car mantenance these days.

Erm, if you read my post properly, I’ve said females “ON HERE” As for your shameful most people can’t/will not do basic car maintenance, that’s a different story already been discussed some time back.

As for some of the jobs I’ve done on the car I wouldn’t consider jacking up an engine to change a tensioner run of the mill ? or straight forward
As to with changing the entire suspension!

It really is straight forward and common on many cars now.
Belts, tensioners, suspension, brakes, etc are all wear and tear items.

I'll wait until you do the piston rings, valve guides or big end shells before I give you a well done, otherwise you are just looking after your car as should expected.

Back