General Advice on buying a 2013 Fiat 500

Currently reading:
General Advice on buying a 2013 Fiat 500

Yeah well … this is what I was initially talking about when I joined the forum.. a woman having to tackle this kind of crap whenever I visited a garage!!
Oddly I'm saying the opposite, I judge and view all people as equal regardless of sex, colour, religion (all equally bad there, but hey believe what you want). It comes across as you are being sexist for needing to point out you are a woman working on a car, very needy and "look at me".

I've only had a laugh at how people on this forum are in shock a female can work on a car, and how doing mundane maintenance tasks mean they should be put on a pedestal and worshipped.

Oddly I'm saying the opposite, I judge and view all people as equal regardless of sex, colour, religion (all equally bad there, but hey believe what you want). It comes across as you are being sexist for needing to point out you are a woman working on a car, very needy and "look at me".

I've only had a laugh at how people on this forum are in shock a female can work on a car, and how doing mundane maintenance tasks mean they should be put on a pedestal and worshipped.
Are you being serious! Needy .. & look at me? Your comments are tedious and neither helpful nor car related
I suggest you find yourself another forum! This one is for fiat related mischief
And is not for JUDGING anyone on their abilities and or lack of!
We are here to help one another not to pick and poke and raise questions on who can do what or not regardless what gender they are!

And may I just add I have never pointed out that I am a woman ? I have only compared with my fellow forum members work carried out by myself!
This is not showing off or for praise it’s for practical purposes
With all that being said…..
Yes I am a woman I’m 47 and I can **** over your fire with what I can and have done!
Some people (it has been suggested) are just peeved that a woman can put some men (when it comes to working on a car) to SHAME
Bite me!

whoa, teeth claws and fur flying Chris! Go it girl!

When I was teaching basic car mechanics, although most of my students were male I would sometimes get a girl/woman in the class. Apart from one notable exception, all were very capable and focused on what they were doing unlike many of the boys who would waste time on silly pranks etc.

Then later when I did my evening classes in car maintenance I did a women only class. Although the subject matter was very basic - mostly they wanted to learn how to get going again if they had a puncture, do basic weekly checks - oil, coolant, screen wash etc - or if the engine suddenly stopped what simple checks they could do. We had some real laughs, and sometimes they ganged up against me, being the only male there, but it was always good hearted and they concentrated hard on the stuff they wanted to know. I enjoyed doing these classes more than the other more technical classes and the welding classes I also ran. You have to be able to take a good leg pull though - and be prepared to overhear some quite surprising conversations!!

And may I just add I have never pointed out that I am a woman ? I have only compared with my fellow forum members work carried out by myself!
This is not showing off or for praise it’s for practical purposes
With all that being said…..
Yes I am a woman I’m 47 and I can **** over your fire with what I can and have done!
Some people (it has been suggested) are just peeved that a woman can put some men (when it comes to working on a car) to SHAME
Bite me!

Well said!

I wonder if the original OP still wants a 500.

By the way I had forgotten about the breaking door handles. Both went within weeks of each other on the 500c. Makes no sense because if it was wear and tear the passenger handle should have taken much longer to fail.

Makes no sense because if it was wear and tear the passenger handle should have taken much longer to fail.

Corrosion is likely a significant factor; it causes the hinge to develop resistance to swivelling, and failure follows shortly afterwards.

A squirt of lubricant into the hinge area will prolong its life, and lubricating properly when fitting a replacement will prolong it even more.

Shame this wasn't done in the factory; it's stuff like this which spoils an otherwise good car.

Last edited:
I wonder if the original OP still wants a 500.

By the way I had forgotten about the breaking door handles. Both went within weeks of each other on the 500c. Makes no sense because if it was wear and tear the passenger handle should have taken much longer to fail.

Heh, this type of thing happens on every marque-centric forum, usually around the merits / demerits of one particular model. It's a result of passions / enthusiasm running high, and things can sometimes drift massively into an off-topic argument. Usually the first-time poster heads for the hills and is never seen again, but the OP here has been looking for a good 500 so it might not have put him/her off. But the direction this has turned is a bit poop tbh, personal attacks, misogyny (and racism, etc of course) have no place in a forum and should not be tolerated.

Breaking door handles aren't uniquely 500 btw, my Lancia Delta had terrible door handles and the first (and last) boring VW Passat I owned also snapped it's door handles when it was cold, but of course is "oh so reliable" :rolleyes:

Interesting tip from jrkitching, must make sure I lube the linkages when mine arrives (y)

Last edited:
If you don’t want aggression don’t call me names! You obviously don’t understand a woman and clearly don’t understand this forum!
Give us a break and go find some other forum to spread your kind of banter!
What name did I call you?

All I've done is advocate equality, you and others here seem to have the sexist view that you are special because you do work on a car as a woman. Maybe you should read the post more carefully....

What name did I call you?

All I've done is advocate equality, you and others here seem to have the sexist view that you are special because you do work on a car as a woman. Maybe you should read the post more carefully....

FFS give it a break fella. Initially I was inferring that Baglady was the only woman ON HERE that has achieved anything on a vehicle at this time. Plenty males have done this, so that’s not unusual. Having to spell things out kind of looses things. This forum is open to free speech, and there are the odd heated debate, but being respectful to members is the way to go on here.

FFS give it a break fella. Initially I was inferring that Baglady was the only woman
Why? because I call you out for your sexist views, and you get support from a cohort of dimwits that think people deserve a round of applause if they can hold a spanner.

If you ever post anything of technical interest then let me know but until you do then keep your sexist views to yourself.

Why? because I call you out for your sexist views, and you get support from a cohort of dimwits that think people deserve a round of applause if they can hold a spanner.

If you ever post anything of technical interest then let me know but until you do then keep your sexist views to yourself.
Oh come on fella, I think this needs the olive branch extended and then buried. Lets get back to car related stuff and on that note it's worth noting that baglady has done a lot more technical and physically demanding stuff than many on here. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm mightily impressed by what she's managed to do in such a short time and from a pretty low knowledge base starting point. However I'd have been equally impressed if she'd been a bloke!

You’re turning this into a soap opera fella.
Misogyny and narcissism are qualities on there own are not good to say the least, together they’re bad. At a guess fella, you’re a rarity on here. I’m sure others are pleased about.

Ok, enough is enough; this discussion is now way off topic and wholly inappropriate for this forum.

vexorg, I gave you fair warning not to continue to make posts which other members may find offensive, sexist and demeaning. You've made two more inflammatory posts since being given a very public warning and I'm temporarily suspending your posting rights for the next 24 hours. Please take this timeout to reflect on what you've posted, and the responses you've received from other forum members.

Hello everyone,

It’s me again.

I think I found a car I like. 14 plate 500 60k miles price £4500.

It seems the last owner had quite a few things done on the car, including timing belt and suspension stuff. I’ve attached its service history of work. It now seems to have a clear MOT until end of 2022.

Is this one worth getting as a lot of work has been done- it could be ok for the next 3 years? Or is that wishful thinking?

Thank you

Attachments

• 7335DFA7-89EF-409C-9C74-EE56293A1749.jpeg
    7335DFA7-89EF-409C-9C74-EE56293A1749.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 18
  • AD973CA8-3FF9-4EB7-8238-6C43DF498D6B.jpeg
    AD973CA8-3FF9-4EB7-8238-6C43DF498D6B.jpeg
    514.8 KB · Views: 18
when you go to view and text drive the car … with the engine running..
Pop the bonnet and listen ..any unusual sounds ? Listen for any metallic noises
Check fluid levels are correct
Test drive… any annoying noises? How does the car drive sound handle?

Now get on the floor.. have a good look underneath rear pay particular attention to the rear beam for rust (torch needed)

Are you sure the car has things you need? There’s no Bluetooth in this model ok so it’s not that important but it would drive me mad with no steering wheel functions
Also is it a bit pricey? For its age?

The cream parts look f***ing ugly along side the yellow and grey, but you're buying a fiat 500 so you must have taste.

Back