General Advice on buying a 2013 Fiat 500

Currently reading:
General Advice on buying a 2013 Fiat 500

Hello,

I’ve seen a 2013 (13 reg) Fiat 500 at my local dealer for £3900, which has 60k miles on it.

Generally looks OK, does have a few scratches/blemishes here and there. It currently has a no advisory MOT until 03/22.
The dealer said, they put on a new MOT on purchase.

My concern is before this current MOT, the car had serious faults around crumbling bearings and leaking shock absorbers. I assume it’s all been fixed now. But should I consider this car or stay away? I’ve put failed MOT details below. I haven’t done a test drive, but I noticed the cars break peddle was stiff and wouldn’t move when the car was parked. Is this normal? Thanks

Attachments

• 16D0717B-BCEC-4BB9-887A-CEE36123EE4C.png
    16D0717B-BCEC-4BB9-887A-CEE36123EE4C.png
    246.2 KB · Views: 77

Hello again

I’ve seen a 2013 (13 reg) Fiat 500 at my local dealer for £3900, which has 60k miles on it.

I'm remembering you were contemplating a similar purchase a couple of months ago.

My reply to you then still holds good. It's a lot of money for a 9yr old car.

My concern is before this current MOT, the car had serious faults around crumbling bearings and leaking shock absorbers. I assume it’s all been fixed now. But should I consider this car or stay away? I’ve put failed MOT details below. I haven’t done a test drive, but I noticed the cars break peddle was stiff and wouldn’t move when the car was parked. Is this normal? Thanks

Failing shock absorbers and wheel bearings after 60k are by no means unusual on a 500, but continuing to drive one when it was close to disintegrating (it would have been making a hell of a racket) says something about the person who owned it at the time.

The disintegrating wheel bearing and shock absorber would have been fixed (it would never have passed an MOT otherwise); the other wheel bearing might not have been.

If I were inspecting this car, I'd pay close attention to whether the other wheel bearing and shock absorber were replaced (it's good practice to change both sides when these sort of components fail). If they weren't, it's another sign the previous owner spent only the absolute minimum on maintenance, and that's a red flag.

The brake pedal should feel quite firm if the engine is not running; folks who haven't driven older cars can be surprised by how much effort is needed to operate the power assisted systems (brakes, steering) if that power assistance ever fails.

I do sympathise with you; it's tough buying a car at this price point, and, realistically, running anything of this age is likely to result in a few things needing replacement from time to time. How much this will cost depends to a large extent on what you are capable of doing for yourself - if you have no mechanical skills or facilities to work on it, then you're likely to be paying out for garage repairs on an ongoing basis, and this is rarely cheap.

Whatever you choose to buy, expect a few bills, especially during the first year, and keep back enough money to cover them. Don't rely on any used car warranty you may be offered for this; most of the things that are likely to need replacing will be considered 'wear and tear' items, and won't be covered.

My final comment is about buying older used cars generally, and isn't aimed particularly at 500's, or even just Fiats. Many of them are just tired, with most of the 'wear and tear' items considerably worn and torn; their owners are contemplating replacing tyres, battery, exhaust, suspension, brakes, clutch and cambelt in the near future, and that could easily be £2k-£3k if you take it to a garage. These cars are still serviceable, and will pass an MOT, so rather than live with the potential liability of all this, the owners trade them in before all the bad stuff happens.

These trade-ins are all out there now on garage forecourts in their thousands, just waiting for someone like you to come and buy them.

You're already doing the right thing by discussing your prospective purchase on this forum. Shop carefully, and if you can, take someone with you who knows what to look for in a used car.

Last edited:
That seems expensive, over a year ago we paid £5,100 for a 2015 500 S and only 30k miles, and from a local dealer. Came with new MOT and service.

Thank you for the advice.
I decided not to go for the car.

I’m looking at a 2015 (15 plate model) with 53k miles and 3 owners, priced at £5k.

It’s currently got a no advisory MOT until July 2022.
However last 3 years it’s failed it’s MOT for various suspension issues. I’ve attached the last 3 MOT results.

Should I stay away from this car? They won’t put a new MOT on it. I really want a Fiat 500, but as everyone says such a minefield with older cars. One positive about this 2015 model is, that the cancel has been changed.

Thanks for the advice

Attachments

• 91AB7481-88B5-4344-9302-990E1B383067.png
    91AB7481-88B5-4344-9302-990E1B383067.png
    221.8 KB · Views: 36
  • B25F0747-B6AB-4548-8BE6-21E579A7F35B.png
    B25F0747-B6AB-4548-8BE6-21E579A7F35B.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 7090E3E7-763B-4CCE-A131-E189ED8746AB.png
    7090E3E7-763B-4CCE-A131-E189ED8746AB.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 31
The major fail points must have been repaired or it would not have passed later. An MOT to july is pretty decent as is.

Other items are wear and tear items, brakes, suspension arms (though they have done a lot better than ours). Easy enough if you can do basic car repairs, otherwise price them up from local garages,

As a general rule, people dont sell cars on if they are perfect and dont need anything, always expect that something will be needed.

The other option is to get a full RAC or AA inspection, they cost a fair bit too for a good report.

The other option is to get a full RAC or AA inspection, they cost a fair bit too for a good report.

Yes, this the route I would go if you’re hell bent on buying the car. Garage or private sale? Either way you tell them you will pay for inspection if it passes with flying colours ;

Thanks for the advice.

The car is a pop star model, 1.2 engine.

I’m just worried it will be a money pit, but then as you’ve said I should keep funds aside to fix.

I’m just worried it will be a money pit

I would be too.

It looks to me like a rubbish car. If it were £3k instead of £5k, and you had strong maintenance skills, it might be worth a punt, but at that price, just forget it.

Too many owners, and the last one put a lot of miles on it and may well have dumped it just before many things are going to need replacing.

There's no way of knowing if any of those MOT advisories ever got fixed.

This is top money for a low end 2015 500 1.2. You'll lose at least £2000 the moment you drive it off the forecourt. And if whoever buys it spends another £2000 in repairs by the time of its next MOT, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Personally I wouldn't even bother going to look at it.

The car market has gone a bit silly just now; there are a lot of tired, poorly maintained mid life cars on the forecourt for top dollar prices and you need to avoid getting lumbered wih one of these.

Good used car deals are few and far between, but they are there - someone I know recently bought a mint i10 privately, under 4 yrs old and with less than 13k on the clock, for significantly less than the screen price of that 500. At this price point, I'd suggest you focus on finding a good car of the right size and type, and not worry too much about the marque or model.

Last edited:
Is this good or bad, not up on looking at older cars, https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-de...g-location=at_cars&transmission=Manual&page=5. No air con, will sweat in the summer,

Car prices have gone mad at the moment, my own cars trade in value has gone up £3000 since the lockdown. Plus another choice, depends on circumstances of course, you can get a new 500 pop hybrid for £160 deposit and £160 per month (48 months)

Last edited:
Is this good or bad

Nice spot.

That has at least the potential to be a good car. Price is reasonable for a private sale car in the current market; it would likely be at least another £1000, perhaps even £1500, on a forecourt. The owner could probably expect to walk away with perhaps £500 less than that if they sold it to the trade for cash.

I'd certainly want to view that one.

Last edited:
Isn't pop the base model?, so wont have any decent toys, like aircon, bluetooth, usb, etc.

There are a few deals about if you search ebay and autotrader, but you need to be quick and preapred to travel

Just an update. Still haven’t bought a fiat 500 yet! My heart is still very much set in one. My budget is £5K and there are a lot of cars that seem to have high mileage at this price. I found a 63 plate, 29k miles, colour therapy model near me for £5250. They won’t lower the price. They will put a new MOT on it and fix the body panel gap between the lower light and bumper (pictured) and it’s had its cam belt changed recently. Should I go for it? I wanted a lounge model but maybe this will do….

Attachments

• 6DEB81B6-706F-42B5-89A7-1083248132C5.jpeg
    6DEB81B6-706F-42B5-89A7-1083248132C5.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 32
Maybe market price but £5k for a 7 year old car seems expensive

Especially one that's practically 8 yrs old, at the bottom end of the model range, and has obviously been pranged.

Trade value in good order is probably around £3300-£3500 just now, so you'll be losing the best part of two grand once you drive it off the forecourt.

Personally I'd walk away from this one.

Last edited:
2013 cars are around £3.5k, albeit Colour Therapists are worth a bit more.

The one above has low miles and that's worth something but £5,000 should be able to buy it. If you like it, tell them you have £4800 and let them think about it.

For that money it needs to have a while aerial and the standard white/chrome hub-caps (not eBay specials, or regular silver hub-caps). The Therapist hub caps cost a bomb... so damaged/lost ones tend to not be replaced with the correct ones.. but it's the correct ones that makes it worth more than a Pop.

The loose looking light isn't anything too severe. The light is bolted to a moulding that is bonded to the inside of the bumper. It needs re-bonding with something that can glue polycarbonate, so not just a bit of Evo-stick... but not beyond the abilities of any bodyshop.

Ralf S.

Back