Technical A500 Windscreen Washer Issue

Currently reading:
Technical A500 Windscreen Washer Issue

I've had the car sitting off the road for a few months and now the windscreen washer wont work. I can hear the motor working fine and the headlights wash perfectly but just no water coming to front or rear windscreen. Just a blockage maybe or a bigger issue? Any help appreciated.

S

The same pump supplies both front and rear, I would guess a blockage, ideally remove the bumper, then remove the entire washer bottle and pump(s), remove pump and clean the inside of the washer bottle, reassemble.
Also flush the pipes by removing the washer jets, rear might be a issue.

My guess is the washer fluid has become stringy/contaminated/degraded over time and its blocked the inlet.
Use a newly bought screen wash additive to the correct dilution.

The same pump supplies both front and rear, I would guess a blockage, ideally remove the bumper, then remove the entire washer bottle and pump(s), remove pump and clean the inside of the washer bottle, reassemble.
Also flush the pipes by removing the washer jets, rear might be a issue.

My guess is the washer fluid has become stringy/contaminated/degraded over time and its blocked the inlet.
Use a newly bought screen wash additive to the correct dilution.

Thank you! Sounds like a job for my mechanic :)

The pump pushes into the tank sealed with a rubber washer. It would leak over the road if it had come loose.

There is a t piece connection or two under the scuttle panel which would dump fluid into that recess so have a look and see if that’s wet.

Could it be the pump is making a noise but not actually pumping anything? Might be worth taking the pump out and trying without the connection and see if it’s coming out of the top of the pump.

The pump pushes into the tank sealed with a rubber washer. It would leak over the road if it had come loose.

There is a t piece connection or two under the scuttle panel which would dump fluid into that recess so have a look and see if that’s wet.

Could it be the pump is making a noise but not actually pumping anything? Might be worth taking the pump out and trying without the connection and see if it’s coming out of the top of the pump.

Definitely no water on the road or scuttle panel. If the pump is gone, does the Abarth use the same pump as the standard Fiat 500? Thanks

Before you go running off to your Mechanic (£££'s) I would get a garden hose pipe and carefully push it down to the bottom of the screen wash tank and turn on tap slowly to flush out any dregs/gunk in bottom of tank and over filter/mesh that protects the inlet of the pump. Run it until all/any gunk/bits and old screen wash comes out of the top of the tank but don't forget to add a % of good screen wash afterwards if you get a result!

Back