A trip to Amsterdam

Currently reading:
A trip to Amsterdam

Speaking from experience are we, Dave, hmmm?

:p

no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes

no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes no yes

I was waiting for you to say "yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but" etc. :p

I went last year flew from east midlands airport, worked out about £100 for 2 return flights with Thomson fly.
We booked a hotel halfway between the station and main square for 3 night about £120. Dont forget to go to the Heinken museum only £7 to get in and you get 3 half pints on the way around then they give you a free glass as you leave bargain.

I went last year flew from east midlands airport, worked out about £100 for 2 return flights with Thomson fly.
We booked a hotel halfway between the station and main square for 3 night about £120. Dont forget to go to the Heinken museum only £7 to get in and you get 3 half pints on the way around then they give you a free glass as you leave bargain.

nice 1, thanks for the info :D

going there on the 31st of march :D for 2 nights, both are on the ferry, which comes to £67, not sure how much money to take though, and can you take your own drink on the ferry? oh and whats the drinkingf age, i know 16 for anything under 15% and over 18 for everything else, but if they think your under 18 can you still get in bars? thanks

You'll need big cash as it's London prices in da dam.

Top tips here from a frequent dammer: -

1) Avoid FEBO - it's like an ATM for food and should only be attempted if you are absolutley slaughtered and the kebab shops are blatently serving pedigree chum.

2) Keep you wits about you when crossing the road - pedestrians are after trams, trucks, vans, cars, motorcycle, cycles, unicycles, scooters, rollerskaters.......... in the pecking order and people will not stop! Be particularly careful near Centraal Station as at points you have 4 tram lines, 4 road lanes and 2 cycle paths to cross in one go and a green man does not guarantee a pulse on the other side of the road.

3) As said before, only buy hash and weed in the coffee shops and never buy from the ones near centraal station or in the red light district as it's over-priced rubbish. Get yourself away from the damrak and down to liedsplien (ask for Leicester Square - they'll know what you mean).

4) Get a copy of rough guide to amsterdam if only for the maps as they really do help you get around.

5) This should be your coffee shop hit list:-

a) De Rockerij (The rockery - down a side street near Liedsplein) one of the few coffe shops that you can have a beer in.
b) Global Chillage - best hot chocolate and whipped cream n the whole of Amsterdam and the best place for resin fans;
c) Abraxas - egyptian theme with sofas and great coffees for a nice chilled aftrenoon;
d) Homegrown Fantasy - just for the toilet (you'll know what i mean when you get there just don't be too mashed when you go) ;) ;
e) Kashmir Lounge (if you can find it). Beyond Vondel Park and then some this is the finest chillout coffee shop in da dam and is frequented more by locals than tourists. As such drinks are very reasonable and the weed is very competitively priced.
f) Avoid Bulldogs like the plague unless your idea of fun is cheasy pop hits and being puked on by boozed up brits who can't hold thier drink and have no concept of how to behave in someone else's country.

Last but most definitely not least, have some respect. Don't smoke gear on the streets as it's just darn rude after they have given you all these wonderful places to smoke. Also, doing so can land you in hot water with the law as it may be tolerated but it's still illegal to smoke cannabis outside of the coffee shops (although you'd pretty much have to run full pelt into a copper and have a kilo of weed fly out of your pocket to get in any real bother). The Dutch are wonderfully friendly people and are very welcoming as long as you don't run around wearing a "Where's the weed?" T-shirt grinning like a raving lunatic - you're not American after all. ;)

Have fun!

Yo

a) De Rockerij (The rockery - down a side street near Liedsplein) one of the few coffe shops that you can have a beer in.
b) Global Chillage - best hot chocolate and whipped cream n the whole of Amsterdam and the best place for resin fans;
f) Avoid Bulldogs like the plague unless your idea of fun is cheasy pop hits and being puked on by boozed up brits who can't hold thier drink and have no concept of how to behave in someone else's country.

Last time i went i spent 6 days in Dam!! got an apartment about 15 mins out of the centre.

Agree with everything Ozric-Al said but i would also suggest......

Hill-Street Blues (Centraal Station, just on outskirts of red-light district) - really cool coffee shop, with lots of grafetti on the walls (look closely near the bar you might find my name!!!)

Dampkring - near the shopping part (very close to the Diesal shop), really cool coffe shop, always stocks alot of the entry's to the Cannabis Cup thats held every year. They also filmed a scene from Oceans 12 in there!

One thing i would say is go and see Sergio, he is normally chilling out-side the Bulldog at Dam Square, he does some krazy tricks with a football!!! Give him a couple of Euros and he;ll have a game with you and do some mega tricks (he climbs the tree whilst juggling the footbal!!!!)

I love amsterdam, best city in the world if you ask me!! Can't wait to get back out there!!

Last time i went i spent 6 days in Dam!! got an apartment about 15 mins out of the centre.

Agree with everything Ozric-Al said but i would also suggest......

Hill-Street Blues (Centraal Station, just on outskirts of red-light district) - really cool coffee shop, with lots of grafetti on the walls (look closely near the bar you might find my name!!!)

Dampkring - near the shopping part (very close to the Diesal shop), really cool coffe shop, always stocks alot of the entry's to the Cannabis Cup thats held every year. They also filmed a scene from Oceans 12 in there!

One thing i would say is go and see Sergio, he is normally chilling out-side the Bulldog at Dam Square, he does some krazy tricks with a football!!! Give him a couple of Euros and he;ll have a game with you and do some mega tricks (he climbs the tree whilst juggling the footbal!!!!)

I love amsterdam, best city in the world if you ask me!! Can't wait to get back out there!!

Oh yeah, I forgot about Sergio. He's the mutts nuts!

Another point to note - give the "tourist museums" a wide berth. Things like the torture, bondage and hemp museums are an absolute waste of money. The sex museum is a giggle but really quite pointless.

If you up for a laugh try Boom Chicago. Near where Sergio performs it's like a stage version of Who's line is it anyway and really quite good value for money.

haha LMAO! :p

and thanks Kurt and Ozric-Al again, great info, really looking forward to it now (y)

couple of days of being 2 years ago since i made this thread, still never gotten to amsterdam.

all of the ads i seen for £40 going from south shields port to amsterdam for the weekend on the ferry (6 hours in amsterdam) i can't see anywhere! :(

been told not to bother getting a flight and staying a couple of nights there, specialy for the first visit as it can be a risky place to be at night.

Back