70% of people on incapacity benefit are expected to return to work.

Currently reading:
70% of people on incapacity benefit are expected to return to work.

And unfortunately it will get worse. I had 2, I could afford 2 I would have had more, but wanted to work and do something with my life.

Those on benefits, now a single mother has to return to work when the child is of school age, you think she will?
Or you think she will bang another one out, keep her benefit coming in for another 4 years.

Because the ones they are trying to stop, don't care how many they produce!

Again spot-on the money kidda! (y)

Trouble is, it seems it is every person's right to have children whether they can be looked after or not... again another by-product of the Nanny State. Really we should only have the kids we can afford without loading up the State resources... but then we need more taxpayers to fund Parliamentary Pensions & expenses... that's the real driver for the "Back-to-Work-at-all-costs" culture... purely my personal opinion of course!

Last edited:
:hug: back to you too...nice weather for pimms actually :)

But when making cuts...why up the allowance? £1500pcm to which it now stands will afford them a nice semi detatched in an ok area.
Before, they would be in the slums £900 = a 3 bed flat, somewhere estate like.

and does nothing in anyones life change?
since we had my boy,both mine and her jobs/wages/hours have changed
not really that simple is it?

Every sympathy custard, found myself in that situation more than once (n)
Point is tho, you not producing a couple more to stay with your head above water without forethought for the future. :hug:

£350 pcm will move them into the slums the last government tried to convince us they wanted removed.

You misread me....I said pw...its changing from £920per month to £350 per week!!!

The thing that needs to be addressed regarding housing benefits is the greedy landlords who KNOW what the top rate is and intentionally let to people on housing benefit knowing full well they can get this amount. It has very little to do with being a nice house in a great area. It could be a run down 3 bed house in the middle of a ghetto, worth £500 a month but if a landlord knows that they can get three times that from Housing Benefits then some of them will. The tenants dont care because they are not the ones paying it.

The inclination to work the system doesnt just apply to jobless people, single parents and scroungers, its starts there and works it way up and many a property developer has built up a handsome portfolio at the cost of the taxpayer. The thing is, no one looks down at them living in a mansion and driving a top of the range car around to collect all the rent do they? They are viewed as 'hardworking' and 'successful' and 'self made'. They are guilty of scrounging as much as anyone falsely claiming a benefit the only difference being that they getting disgustingly rich doing it.

Thats why housing benefit needed to be capped at a lower rate IMO.

The thing that needs to be addressed regarding housing benefits is the greedy landlords who KNOW what the top rate is and intentionally let to people on housing benefit knowing full well they can get this amount. It has very little to do with being a nice house in a great area. It could be a run down 3 bed house in the middle of a ghetto, worth £500 a month but if a landlord knows that they can get three times that from Housing Benefits then some of them will. The tenants dont care because they are not the ones paying it.

The inclination to work the system doesnt just apply to jobless people, single parents and scroungers, its starts there and works it way up and many a property developer has built up a handsome portfolio at the cost of the taxpayer. The thing is, no one looks down at them living in a mansion and driving a top of the range car around to collect all the rent do they? They are viewed as 'hardworking' and 'successful' and 'self made'. They are guilty of scrounging as much as anyone falsely claiming a benefit the only difference being that they getting disgustingly rich doing it.

Thats why housing benefit needed to be capped at a lower rate IMO.

No argument here Fiona...

And @ Missey... my bad speed reading :( It really is outrageous that those non genuine cases get to live where hard working folks cant... for free (but really at our expense) You'd never see that in the growing economies of China & India for example... & they both have space race & military programs which we cant afford. By the way, we still pay money to India to support their economy... Huh? Beyond me!

tbh I think every person in the whole country, with half a brain cell sees that the whole system stinks!

And yes, it desperately needs reform, but as I said before, half baked plans, cuts that actually lead to increases, really does not give me hope nor trust in our current government to do the right thing or sort out the right parts and does leave me fearful for the future of this country.
They seem to be hurrying through these ideas without really thinking of the implications or the impact or backlash/long term damage that these changes will cause.

Probably quite easy to do, if you have never gone hungry, or found yourself in anything but an upper class situation.

I also pity the poor sods who voted for them in the middle classes, the middle income families who are now going to be squeezed to the brink.

but why should she go through that, its not like she is going to grow a new leg for gods sake!

because not having a leg don't have same affect on every one, so cant get automatic dla for it. i had a mate when i was younger who only had one leg and he played football well and was a labourer on building sites.
most people had no idea he only had 1 leg until he took it off and hit them with it.

:D at your mate lol .... It does affect her though, she lost it from the thigh and has had numerous operations...losing a little more each time.
Her leg causes sores from the socket and shes just gone under the knife again to have a titanium rod fused to the bone, so she can have a clip on leg, which hopefully will increase her mobility...feel awful talking about her behind her back, but she is a classic example really.

cuts cuts cuts, weed out the scroungers-fine, but 70%????, wheres the work???? unemployment going up up up. funny how the pots empty but we have a bottomless pot for a war at the drop of a hat.

And what really worries me, is I have read that these assessments are going to be carried out via private firms who have a £14,000 incentive per person who they get off of benefits.

That is disgusting, they could just create jobs by employing people to do this.

Its nice to see they are trying to sort out all the leaches in society, its sad to say its taken to such circumstances as the current economy to sort it.

Many disabled people can work, but then there are people who arent disabled or have minor ailements and decide they cba working.

My father has a disabled badge, has congestive heart failure, over weight due to ill health, diabetes and many other problems, he still find the energy (all be it very hard) to run his own very successful business and advise other businesses!

ill leave the room before i go mad

This is the thing I wanted to bring up - if you struggle to look after your kids then you shouldn't have had them. But again, it's a digression from the original topic ... ;)

That's hardly a fair comment. We waited until we were fairly secure (financially), we both had decent jobs, decent pay etc, we were relatively comfortable then we planned our first child, spent a bob or two decking out the nursery - we could afford new cot, pram etc etc etc but within a few months of #1 son arriving the interest rates went up so our mortgage repayments doubled. Not only that but the Government introduced the Poll tax - and again, we were worse off.
So we went from being fairly well off to scrimping and scraping. I had taken a year out of work (unpaid leave) to look after our child (wife earned a bit more than me so it made more sense). We could have put son in childcare but there were no freebies for us, we would have had to pay full whack - and full time child care costs would have meant I was working for nothing.
Seemingly, we were entitled to very little by way of benefits. As far as the state was concerned, even though I was on unpaid leave - I was still employed :confused:. No smoking or drinking or bingo nights out for us.

cuts cuts cuts, weed out the scroungers-fine, but 70%????, wheres the work???? unemployment going up up up. funny how the pots empty but we have a bottomless pot for a war at the drop of a hat.

Plenty to be done, just look around at the state of the roads, rubbish lying everywhere especially in parks and other places we all go to relax in. If you claim dole then you do a days cleaning up or similar, at least earn some of your dole money and create a nicer place for us all.

That's hardly a fair comment. We waited until we were fairly secure (financially), we both had decent jobs, decent pay etc, we were relatively comfortable then we planned our first child, spent a bob or two decking out the nursery - we could afford new cot, pram etc etc etc but within a few months of #1 son arriving the interest rates went up so our mortgage repayments doubled. Not only that but the Government introduced the Poll tax - and again, we were worse off.
So we went from being fairly well off to scrimping and scraping.

Same story for us.

You must have amazing foresight to know what your life will be like a few years in the future.

Most people don't have that luxury :rolleyes:

No, most people ignore the foresight because they can't conquer their urge to breed. And anyone without kids who dares to have an opinion on them is shot down immediately by those with them.

Back