Technical 500 Disc Brakes - Problems & Solutions

Currently reading:
Technical 500 Disc Brakes - Problems & Solutions

Dpn't get me wrong I wasn't questioning what you were doing for a minute, I think that to me this is normal practice...do people really put pads in without copper grease or white grease:confused:

They're assembled dry in the factory - which is why so many folks are having problems :bang:.

Most people don't touch them or get them changed (pads) for at least 2 years.
I can only speak from experience, but after 2 years my pads were probably about 80% worn on the worst pad and there was quite a bit more meat on the pad in the pair. I didn't use much copper grease when I did the pads and discs which meant that they were now starting to rub slightly, but there was more or less no difference in wear between the two pads on the n/s front corner almost a year on from when I did them.

To be fair, back in Australia my dad never put any copper grease on when he did the pads on his cars, but there simply isn't the moisture, the crud on the roads or the salt.

I can only speak from experience, but after 2 years my pads were probably about 80% worn on the worst pad and there was quite a bit more meat on the pad in the pair. I didn't use much copper grease when I did the pads and discs which meant that they were now starting to rub slightly, but there was more or less no difference in wear between the two pads on the n/s front corner almost a year on from when I did them.

To be fair, back in Australia my dad never put any copper grease on when he did the pads on his cars, but there simply isn't the moisture, the crud on the roads or the salt.

Yes I agree...the salt on our roads have a lot to answer for!

Out of interest what is the mileages people are having these problems (noises) at and age of vehicle?

Strange how some manufactures have problems and some dont, must be more to it?

Yes I agree...the salt on our roads have a lot to answer for!

Out of interest what is the mileages people are having these problems (noises) at and age of vehicle?

Strange how some manufactures have problems and some dont, must be more to it?
Must be the design of the calipers catching more crud and perhaps as jrkitching suggests, poor quality steel which rusts more than perhaps better quality steel would?

I can't honestly remember when my brakes first started grinding, but by 28k miles there was a significant difference between the two pads on the n/s front and I changed them for Brembo pads and discs as they were cheap and the faff of getting everything apart meant it wasn't worth disassembling and greasing to put the original pads in, plus I had to hammer the crap out of one of the pads to get it out and it was fubar after that!

About 8k miles and due to me not cleaning things up as jrkitching advises and also not putting enough copper grease on, they started rubbing lightly about 8k miles later. Next time I do the pads I'll take the reaction frames off and clean them up properly, perhaps even paint them with caliper paint :)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but having an issue and looking for some advice....

My Fiat 500 1.2 Pop is 11 months old has done 10,400 miles. I use it pretty much everyday, I do an average of 40 miles a day and most of it is out of town.

I started to feel a "judder" through the brake pedal, thought maybe there was a bit of corrosion on the discs so braked hard a few times but the "judder" continued so I took my car back to the dealership I bought it from. I'm being told the disks are corroded and I need to have the discs and pads replaced, I'm also being told it's not covered by the warranty and it's going to cost £255.42! I'm pretty horrified to be honest. The first service isn't due until 18k miles and I'm still on the first set of tyres - I suspect the discs are warped, because I can feel the "judder" and I'm not sure I'd feel corrosion so much but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Any advice really appreciated. Ta :)

Hi,

I'm new to the forum but having an issue and looking for some advice....

My Fiat 500 1.2 Pop is 11 months old has done 10,400 miles. I use it pretty much everyday, I do an average of 40 miles a day and most of it is out of town.

I started to feel a "judder" through the brake pedal, thought maybe there was a bit of corrosion on the discs so braked hard a few times but the "judder" continued so I took my car back to the dealership I bought it from. I'm being told the disks are corroded and I need to have the discs and pads replaced, I'm also being told it's not covered by the warranty and it's going to cost £255.42! I'm pretty horrified to be honest. The first service isn't due until 18k miles and I'm still on the first set of tyres - I suspect the discs are warped, because I can feel the "judder" and I'm not sure I'd feel corrosion so much but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Any advice really appreciated. Ta :)

Silly price! I got a bit of marketing through the post during the winter which was offering discs and pads for £120 or so. Anyway, the parts are about 60 quid and it's dead simple to do :)

https://www.fiatforum.com/500/308819-quick-word-caution-front-brakes.html

They probably are corroded and worn. My independent garage were shocked when they seen mine. Luckily it's very reasonable to get to. Mine costed £80 for discs and pads and fit.

Also much better to use non original fiat parts here, anything is better than theirs!

Hi again,

Thanks guys - so friendly and helpful. So....it looks like I'm going to have to foot the bill? :( How disappointing. The other thing I've been told is that I must fit genuine Fiat parts or my warranty will be void? I am a little surprised as apparently these are not covered by the warranty anyway? Do they have to be fitted by the dealer too to avoid messing up my warranty?

Thanks - you've been so helpful :)

Hi again,

Thanks guys - so friendly and helpful. So....it looks like I'm going to have to foot the bill? :( How disappointing. The other thing I've been told is that I must fit genuine Fiat parts or my warranty will be void? I am a little surprised as apparently these are not covered by the warranty anyway? Do they have to be fitted by the dealer too to avoid messing up my warranty?

Dont do it at fiat do it at an indie! brakes are never covered so its irrelevant if you have genuine parts or not.

Hi again,

Yes, they tried the same thing on me when I said that I would replace my wipers with decent ones, not Fiat ones. I politely pointed out that I could live without the warranty on my wipers, and that the warranty over the rest of the car would be unaffected.

Really bad form for them to try to scare you into using them to change the brakes on that basis, but not unexpected.

Which is the dealership in question?

Hi again,

You will lose your warranty over the bits that they could reasonably argue would be affected by the pads and discs. But really there's nothing to worry about, never heard of anyone having any problems with the braking system of the 500 other than what you've experienced.

Discs and pads are almost never covered by warranty. If you can manage to post on this forum then you're more than able to do the brakes on your 500.

If you still don't fancy doing it then go to an independent.

Thanks :) I actually thought that it made no sense to buy fiat parts if it's parts that aren't covered by warranty but they are soooo slippery it's always a worry that just when you think you know the score the goal posts move again. I feel much better for having had the benefit of the experience of the folks on here, thanks again. I have a mechanic friend who'll fit some new decent discs and pads in that case. I have already been to Trading Standards once with my car when after I ordered it they phoned to tell me I'd need to pay extra for the paint on the rub strips, I told them they had signed the paperwork which included the rub strips and so as they were in breech of contract I wanted to cancel my order - they backed down and included the rub strips! When I went to collect the car it didn't have the chrome window strips but I had ordered the chrome pack. I was told that the "factory fit" chrome pack included the window strips but the dealer fitted one didn't as they could only be fitted at the factory. I refused delivery and made them order me another one from the factory with the window strips. When I collected my car it wasn't at all clean inside or out. I asked for a free valet the next time I was at the garage and got that. Then 2 weeks after I brought my baby home they phoned to say it had been registered with a number plate that was already taken and I'd have to change plates! I'd to phone lots of people to change details and they sent a man out with a new tax disc and plates. I mean for goodness sake, what a shambles! Strangely I still love my 500 though, it's not his fault! This is just another nail in my dealers coffin, I will be going to trading standards and waving my "not fit for the purpose for which they were sold" banner over the discs, I've nothing to lose but at least now it'll be substantially less expensive if/when I do have to fork out for new brake bits. The dealer, named and shamed as Lloyd Fiat, Carlisle. :mad:

Last edited:
Thanks :) I actually thought that it made no sense to buy fiat parts if it's parts that aren't covered by warranty but they are soooo slippery it's always a worry that just when you think you know the score the goal posts move again. I feel much better for having had the benefit of the ecperience of the folks on here, thanks again. I have a mechanic friend who'll fit some new decent discs and pads in that case. I have already been to Trading Standards once with my car when after I ordered it they phoned to tell me I'd need to pay extra for the paint on the rub strips, I told them they had signed the paperwork which included the rub strips and so as they were in breech of contract I wanted to cancel my order - they backed down and included the rub strips! When I went to collect the car it didn't have the chrome window strips but I had ordered the chrome pack. I was told that the "factory fit" chrome pack included the window strips but the dealer fitted one didn't as they could only be fitted at the factory. I refused delivery and made them order me another one from the factory with the window strips. When I collected my car it wasn't at all clean inside or out. I asked for a free valet the next time I was at the garage and got that. Then 2 weeks after I brought my baby home they phoned to say it had been registered with a number plate that was already taken and I'd have to change plates! I'd to phone lots of people to change details and they sent a man out with a new tax disc and plates. I mean for goodness sake, what a shambles! Steagely I still love my 500 though, it's not his fault! This is just another nail in my dealers coffin, I will be going to trading standards and waving my "not fit for the purpose for which they were sold" banner over the discs, I've nothing to lose but at least now it'll be substantially less expensive if/when I do have to fork out for new brake bits. The dealer, named and shamed as Lloyd Fiat, Carlisle. :mad:
You're not going to have any luck with the discs sadly. They're a wear and tear part and you'd be extreeeeeeeeeeeeeemely lucky to get it covered. Get the Brembo discs and pads I linked to. The pads are far better and it's 40 quid. Not really worth arguing over that small amount of money.

I'll probably go for the Brembo as you suggest, I'm motorbike daft so I'm familiar with the brand :) Not a lot of money but how many folks are blindly paying the £255 having been scared into getting their prematurely worn out discs and pads replaced at their Fiat Dealer? It's just not right. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again to everyone who's helped - I am most impressed :)

I'll probably go for the Brembo as you suggest, I'm motorbike daft so I'm familiar with the brand :) Not a lot of money but how many folks are blindly paying the £255 having been scared into getting their prematurely worn out discs and pads replaced at their Fiat Dealer? It's just not right. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again to everyone who's helped - I am most impressed :)

Fiat dealer quoted my sister £149 to have hers done the other week after it was picked up on the service... As you can see i got her the bits and did it no way was i seeing her getting mugged ..... At least the 500 uses standard size / head bolts the newer Grande puntos use a mixture of odd ball sizes and fittings ranging from none standard 7mm alan key headed bolts to E torx....

Last edited:
Hi there harlequin. I am also from Carlisle and got mine from lloyds. I had a totally different experience to you but then I have nearly 20yrs motor trade experience and didn't let anything get confused. Must admit your experience isn't anything new to what I have heard before. But I do work on the principle that if they haven't done wrong to me then I don't jump on bandwagons.

Anyhow a couple of tips. Call County motors and ask them. They have 20 yrsnexperience and when a workmates niece had identical issue to your own, including needing new calipers they sorted it out at a fraction of the cost. Worth the call anyhow.

I will be using county as a price check for any work lloyds quote for.

Also, I don't think you have a hope in hell of getting trading standards involved re your discs and pads. Consumable part that can be influenced by so many things. Only pads and discs I have ever seen warrantied are those that have worn massively unevenly due to sticky calipers or squeaky pads. Neither applies to your issue so I think it's a case of replace with better and forget warranty as it never seems to apply to discs and pads

Probably seen yours around if it's around Carlisle regular

Hi there harlequin. I am also from Carlisle and got mine from lloyds. I had a totally different experience to you but then I have nearly 20yrs motor trade experience and didn't let anything get confused. Must admit your experience isn't anything new to what I have heard before. But I do work on the principle that if they haven't done wrong to me then I don't jump on bandwagons.

Anyhow a couple of tips. Call County motors and ask them. They have 20 yrsnexperience and when a workmates niece had identical issue to your own, including needing new calipers they sorted it out at a fraction of the cost. Worth the call anyhow.

I will be using county as a price check for any work lloyds quote for.

Also, I don't think you have a hope in hell of getting trading standards involved re your discs and pads. Consumable part that can be influenced by so many things. Only pads and discs I have ever seen warrantied are those that have worn massively unevenly due to sticky calipers or squeaky pads. Neither applies to your issue so I think it's a case of replace with better and forget warranty as it never seems to apply to discs and pads

Probably seen yours around if it's around Carlisle regular
Hey :) I don't judge suppliers by their mistakes but by the way they react when mistakes are made. This applies to Lloyd and in the name of fairness I would say that Lloyd are fairly good at sorting out their blunders. This is not their blunder either, although it would seem they are expensive for repairs. I just feel that maybe they've made one too many blunders with the whole you must fit Fiat parts tactic. Meh, it's all gravy. You may have seen my 500 but I'm not local to Carlisle, I live in Scotland :)

Back