Technical 500 Disc Brakes - Problems & Solutions

Currently reading:
Technical 500 Disc Brakes - Problems & Solutions

I got great satisfaction out of fitting the brembo pads and discs for peanuts compared to what the dealer would have charged. Plus the pads have a better feel to them :)

Do the discs feel any better than OEM maxi? Do they seem to last longer and corrode less?

...The other thing I've been told is that I must fit genuine Fiat parts or my warranty will be void?...

The joke is that original fit FIAT components are just about the cheapest, shoddiest parts on the planet. Buy something else if you can. Almost anything would be better.

Not so funny if you're the one who's paying to replace your prematurely worn pads, discs, lower wishbones, door handle, breather hose, top mounts, exhaust or whatever.

FIAT parts quality is just about acceptable if you're paying discounted Panda prices, but for 500 money I'd say they're taking the p**s.

The joke is that original fit FIAT components are just about the cheapest, shoddiest parts on the planet. Buy something else if you can. Almost anything would be better.

Not so funny if you're the one who's paying to replace your prematurely worn pads, discs, lower wishbones, door handle, breather hose, top mounts, exhaust or whatever.

FIAT parts quality is just about acceptable if you're paying discounted Panda prices, but for 500 money I'd say they're taking the p**s.

You are right, but with German cars the parts also do go wrong after a certain point and it completely breaks the bank. I still prefer the Fiat way, meaning you can easily replace parts for cheap even if its non OEM. They are simpler cars than the Germans, who's parts are mainly bespoke and only they make them. Cars are getting way too complicated and as a result way too expensive to repair.

Genuine parts are not all that bad... it's just that Fiat "Ricambi" box is a bit expensive.. :D

But I've only ever had to change "big stuff" at 10 years old or more and 6-figure mileages...

I can't begrudge it... but it doubles the value of the car! :D

Ralf S.

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP and the supporting members; this inspired me to have a go replacing the pads on my 5 year old 500, which I did yesterday and without problems (so far!).

I didn't go as far as to remove the reaction frame from the caliper, but did some in situ emery clothing of the corroded area.

I replaced the pads with Mintex parts for £18 from ebay.

Nice. Did you consider trying the brembo max discs? I wonder what difference they make.

Not a lot. They wear the pads faster, create more dust and make a whirring noise tho.

Bosch are great quality products. Brembo replacement discs for the 500 are cheap too.

Bosch are great quality products. Brembo replacement discs for the 500 are cheap too.

Spare parts in Greece are not so easy to source like the uk cant just order everything online = )
And it is expensive to deliver spare parts from UK to Greece.

Anyway Bosch service told me front discs + pads including labor are 260 euros which I find fair enough.

Spare parts in Greece are not so easy to source like the uk cant just order everything online = )

Anyway Bosch service told me front discs + pads including labor are 260 euros which I find fair enough.
Not really. But if you're willing to pay.....

Not really. But if you're willing to pay.....

Well I went on that website you were talking about nextday brakes and Brembo Front Discs + pads = 110 GBP so like 130 Euros. I guess if I ordered them myself and then paid an indie to fit it hed charge what 100 euros? So I don't think I could get it much cheaper than what Bosch is offering unless I change it myself of course = )

Well I went on that website you were talking about nextday brakes and Brembo Front Discs + pads = 110 GBP so like 130 Euros. I guess if I ordered them myself and then paid an indie to fit it hed charge what 100 euros? So I don't think I could get it much cheaper than what Bosch is offering unless I change it myself of course = )

As a fully fitted price for discs and pads from a garage / indie it's a fair price. They have to make a living too.

Absolutely understand your issues in Greece. If it makes you feel worse, I've just bought a genuine set of Fiat front discs for £22 delivered and genuine Fiat front brake pads for £26 delivered off the bay of e. My fitting time is free, all for under £50.

Absolutely understand your issues in Greece. If it makes you feel worse, I've just bought a genuine set of Fiat front discs for £22 delivered and genuine Fiat front brake pads for £26 delivered off the bay of e. My fitting time is free, all for under £50.

Yes but 1.4 discs are like double the price as they are both bigger and ventilated. The rear discs of the 1.4 are the same as the fronts of the 1.2 i think as in 240 mm non vent vs 257 vent. :)
Oh and from what i see Bosch discs are superior to fiat discs.
Of course i can't beat your price but worth mentioning the points above.

Last edited:
Yes but 1.4 discs are like double the price as they are both bigger and ventilated. The rear discs of the 1.4 are the same as the fronts of the 1.2 i think as in 240 mm non vent vs 257 vent. :)
Oh and from what i see Bosch discs are superior to fiat discs.
Of course i can't beat your price but worth mentioning the points above.

That all depends on where the discs were made. There are some good foundries out there and there are some that aren't so great. I would argue that EBC discs were some of the best discs available on the market, though I wouldn't use their brake pads because I found them too harsh on a previous car. For a small 1.2 car like our 500, I'm happy to have paid the £15 plus the delivery charge on the orignal Fiat discs.

Personally I don't think that for a 1.2 the brand of disc would make a difference, but pads certainly, the Brembo pads I fitted are much better and are lasting a lot better too

Personally I don't think that for a 1.2 the brand of disc would make a difference, but pads certainly, the Brembo pads I fitted are much better and are lasting a lot better too

I've had bad experiences in the past with very cheap discs (though not on the 500) - it's usually the machining which is of poor quality, leading to out of balance &/or warped discs, with unacceptably excessive runout which is way out of tolerance. The end result is a car which will vibrate on braking & take forever to bed in the pads.

To some extent, you get what you pay for.

Back