Technical 4x4 Transmission power & torque limits?

Currently reading:
Technical 4x4 Transmission power & torque limits?

Bonefish Blues

Established member
I've had a search here & elsewhere, but can't see any info on what the safe upper limits of clutch & 4x4 transmission are, can anyone help?
The 1.3 multijet seems amenable to remapping to good effect with people like Celtic, but it's always wise to be cautious before, rather than after the event!
Any general guidance on how long the clutches last also? The car I'm looking at is c104K & late '13 btw.

TIA :)

I've had a search here & elsewhere, but can't see any info on what the safe upper limits of clutch & 4x4 transmission are, can anyone help?
The 1.3 multijet seems amenable to remapping to good effect with people like Celtic, but it's always wise to be cautious before, rather than after the event!
Any general guidance on how long the clutches last also? The car I'm looking at is c104K & late '13 btw.

TIA :)
Short answer I don’t know

The gearbox’s has been pushed in modded turbo puntos. I believe the box and drive shafts do fail at around 460nm and probably don’t last long a fair bit below that

But I have no idea about the rest of the system

Wasn’t there a guy on here that stuck a panda 100 engine in a 1.2 4x4, he might have a clue, or practical experience at least

Short answer I don’t know

The gearbox’s has been pushed in modded turbo puntos. I believe the box and drive shafts do fail at around 460nm and probably don’t last long a fair bit below that

But I have no idea about the rest of the system
Cor I wouldn't mind a 460Nm Panda!

What did the Rotrex Supercharger push out?

Several have tried those over time on here

Pretty sure the 4x4 cinq that did those excellent Standing Quarters on Youtube was NOT based on a panda..
There’s loads of info on Italian forums.

From a fairly mild 200bhp 1.2
To a 700bhp delta integral swap into a Punto GT

Including some 1.3 and 1.9 puntos drag racing are on YouTube

Any info on the 4x4 transmission capacity you've seen?
There’s definitely a Fiat Cinquecento 4x4 with a 1.4-litre T-JET and high boost

I don’t know what the hardware used

I then get a bit foggy

It’s either blue or yellow

And either polish or Italian

Might be these guys ?

If you scroll down the page you can see some 4x4 fiats being worked on

I can’t auto translate the page unfortunately

Luckily I'm fluent* so I'm able to see that they're swapping the transmission out and fitting upgraded driveshafts and the like.

*Well actually I found the translate function but let's not let the truth get in the way ☺️

Failure of drive shafts will be from fatigue, cyclic loading rather than pure overload. Below a certain stress level steel has no fatigue limit. You could make some rough assumptions that you double loading you would half the log of life. But the damage done at the higher loading use, not at say constant cruising speed. However the way you use the clutch and if the tyres actually grip will affect the actual torque the driveline sees. You can use harder clutch facing, but my money on your tyre bill being the limiting factor?

Yes, understood. TBH it gets along very nicely as it is, and being able to pick up really good tyres at c£60 a corner is brilliant (ex fitting) - we just had to replace one on our XC70 and it was £171 supplied and fitted :cry:

Back