3d tv

Currently reading:
3d tv

Who the hell wants to sit watchin the TV with the worst looking pair of national health glasses ever stuck on their head.

3D Technology = (y)

3D TV = (n)

I have the cash but I'll not be wasting it on a 3D TV. If we have to wear glasses we may as well buy 3D Virtual Headsets. The technology has been around for years, tried and tested and is 20 times cheaper.

I can't decide if to buy before Xmas or in the New Year but the trouble is the standards aren't in my view stable.

LG's passive entry is the one I'd bet on but I reckon it could get messy - if it really takes off - with all the shutter systems then plummeting in price. What's a little weird is that LG is in both markets (shutter & circular polarized) which makes for a difficult marketing strategy :confused:

Mind you, could be a chance to buy a cheap 3D TV if you don't mind the headaches ;)

In a movie theatre it's good - but on a TV it doesn't work so well.

Too small and fast moving things become very blurry. Both me and my GF just got squiffy eyed watching it.
That sounds like a shutter system Ben (powered glasses).

You shouldn't get that with passive (you just lose a little resolution)

My parents got one a couple of weeks ago because there was a deal for the TV, bluray player and two extra pairs of glasses for £899. And because my mother gets obsessed with silly things such as these.

I've only watched A Christmas Carol last night, and while it seems decent enough, the screen just isn't large enough tbh.

There aren't many films out at the moment that make it worth its while atm, so I would advise to wait and see what happens both with the tech and the amount of films that come out.

I remember reading a couple of years back that they are capable of making 3d tv without the glasses. It means during the filing to use 2 cameras at certain perspective points then merging them on 1 screen however they do that.
I think it was sony who made it. But due to the way its filmed older films wouldnt work in 3d. So all old programs/films will still be the same.

Although it gives me a sore head after a bit of watching it. Its as though there's too much at once and your brain is focusing on too many layers at once.

If I recall when reading this they expected them tv's to be available for public between 2013 and 2015.
Whether or not they do is another thing

I think they were called polarising?

It's whatever the new Sony ones are :) (in Taipei at least)
From what I'm aware Sony are committed to active shutter technology (unless you know different ;))

One company that is active in passive (circular polarized technology like at the cinema) is Hyundai but only in the far east at the moment I think.

Now this interests me, NO STUPID GLASSES. (y)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11467352
Yes; the pace of technology is amazing!

This system is basically an extension of the passive system but without the cheap glasses.

From a distance they will look like a normal 2D TV but as you walk closer the image will suddenly change to 3D. In fact in theory I believe if you keep going closer then the image will then drop out of 3D but then suddenly drop in again as you get really close (would look ghastly though).

Since both the viewing distanse and viewing angle are rather restricted then I'm not sure they offer much advantage over wearing glasses. Existing passive systems (the ones you get in pubs) can be viewed at any distance and quite wide angles. However, just like Hi-Fi, there's really only one optimum seat to view 3D from.

It means during the filing to use 2 cameras at certain perspective points then merging them on 1 screen however they do that.
I think it was sony who made it. But due to the way its filmed older films wouldnt work in 3d. So all old programs/films will still be the same.

This is how they do it, and why this fad of "3D'ing" old films etc will just cheapen the effect. If it wasn't filmed in 3D then it's just a computer system guessing at how to make it look.. and that's when it looks a bit wrong!

Back