Technical 2019 4x4 cross - all season tyres options + 175 or 185?

Currently reading:
Technical 2019 4x4 cross - all season tyres options + 175 or 185?

I've used the Vector 3s since the came out...very long lasting tyre on a light car (15k to shave 2mm off the fronts but now rotated).

Been through snow ice and 35 degrees in summer and been entirely happy, very good wet weather performance as well.

I've used the Vector 3s since the came out...very long lasting tyre on a light car (15k to shave 2mm off the fronts but now rotated).

Been through snow ice and 35 degrees in summer and been entirely happy, very good wet weather performance as well.
Yes, they're consistently top of the tests I've seen. Whether they're worth the price premium over the 2nd and 3rd performers like the Vreds & the Hankooks, I guess not to me (although I accept that in real terms it's not all that much!)

Yes, they're consistently top of the tests I've seen. Whether they're worth the price premium over the 2nd and 3rd performers like the Vreds & the Hankooks, I guess not to me (although I accept that in real terms it's not all that much!)

Obviously your cash and decision but both the Michelin and Goodyear are designed to Evolve as they wear (not sure about the others)

So while new they may be close unless the Cheaper ones do similar once part worn the performance gap may be significantly bigger.

Things like grooves that get wider as the tire wears so aquaplaning performance is maintained as the tyre has less tread and sipe design that both changes as it wears and is cut to the carcass so they don't disappear.

In my case I think they'll easily last 40k if not a bit longer if they go below 3mm in summer at which point they are worth the extra.

Last edited:
I have used the Hankook HS2s since their launch on the family XC70 and they're really excellent, and also wearing very well. I think that the difference is now very slim between the best-rated (no longer the CCs, interestingly, which new iteration has had a mild panning in some tests) and the next-rated* iyswim.

*Albeit there's a huge gulf down to the poorer performers.

I have used the Hankook HS2s since their launch on the family XC70 and they're really excellent, and also wearing very well. I think that the difference is now very slim between the best-rated (no longer the CCs, interestingly, which new iteration has had a mild panning in some tests) and the next-rated* iyswim.

I had hankook on my MK1 cross, I wasn’t enamoured by their wet weather performance, but they were much better than than the continentals on wet grass/light mud and snow

I'm not saying in testing there's a big gap it's more..after 20k on a car have the sipes and wet weather performance been maintained? Pretty much all testing is on brand new tyres.

If the thing looks like a summer tyre once it's a bit worn then the all season nature of it might be a bit compromised.

Will say my car not being a 4x4 I've never attempted to greenlane in it..so no idea what they are like off off road but never had any issues on wet grass or mud within reason and they are M and S marked. Been through snow deep enough the front bumper was plowing without it stopping.

I'm not saying in testing there's a big gap it's more..after 20k on a car have the sipes and wet weather performance been maintained? Pretty much all testing is on brand new tyres.

If the thing looks like a summer tyre once it's a bit worn then the all season nature of it might be a bit compromised.

Will say my car not being a 4x4 I've never attempted to greenlane in it..so no idea what they are like off off road but never had any issues on wet grass or mud within reason and they are M and S marked. Been through snow deep enough the front bumper was plowing without it stopping.
Yes - it's why I'm confident at that level :)

175 or 185 both rated for use so should be any insurance issues as long as they are fitted to the correct rims

I’d take snow testing with a pinch of salt. Fresh powder, minus 20C isn’t the same as slush at 0C, fresh layer snow isn’t the same as compacted glazed roads and so on.

Here in Cheshire I look at wet weather braking, noise and cost.

If I lived in the Shetland islands they often drive in winter on studs.

Using the same model tyre but in different sizes

185 will give best dry grip

175 will be harder to aquaplane

Seeing Fiat use both the choice is yours

By way of update, I had the Vred all seasons (185/65, which fit just fine without spacers as far as I can see) fitted earlier today, plus a full alignment and it's already clear that the car is a good deal quieter and more compliant than previously with its smorgasbord of Michelin, Yokos, Bridgestone and Runway (or summat) - but there again that's not exactly unexpected!

It also gave me the opportunity to have a good look underneath, and all seems in remarkably good condition, so fingers crossed we're set fair.

In the last cold snap in early December I had to do a 400 mile trip and much of the time roads were covered in a small dusting to a few inches of snow. There were some some big icy patches and a number of ice rink car parks too. The last five miles the roads looked odd but I never gave the condition a thought as had not had any warning calls from home. When we got out when back home there was an inch of frozen snow and it was difficult to stand up. Mich Alpin 4s (175) performed very well indeed with not a single second of lost grip or hairy moment to report. I think they are good enough to have convinced me to do like for like in the future if they are still available.

Update on my update. I had rubbing on full lock this morning, doing a U in the road. Looks like I will need those 5mm spacers after all...

Update on my update. I had rubbing on full lock this morning, doing a U in the road. Looks like I will need those 5mm spacers after all...
I guess as the suspension drops (eg during cornering). There's already a section of the subframe that appears to have been 'cut away' to allow the wheel clearance on mine, and it s very close to that on the level (it and its two predecessors all the same, so a factory 'mod')

I run Conti contact 6 on my summer alloys and Michelin Alpin on the winter steels the car came on. Mich are noisy but very good on wet and muddy roads the best I have used for a very long time indeed. Wear over 2 winters ranges from nearly imperceptible to 0.5mm. The Contis have worn far far faster and though they are quiet and grip well I shall not be buying any more as 5mm of wear over the same distance as the michelins is not acceptable. Either 175 or 185 are Ok according to the handbook so my next summer tyres will be the 185s unless they cost a lot more. Front grip on the 4x4 is not a big strength and although I dont fling the car about, I would like a greater margin for emergencies hence going up a size. My experience of Cross climates was they are Ok but they do have a documented weakness on cornering aquaplaning and I felt it was noticiable although not to a very serious extent. Snow performance was however much less good than I expected although a little better than summer tyres. Cross climates have evolved twice or three times since my foray 4 years ago and I believe they are much improved. I think the next summer set will be Goodyear Vectors as they will offer more off road grip than a summer tyre. Not much point in having a 4x4 and the wrong boots! I shall stick with the 175 for my winter boots.
Going for Goodyear Vectors myself soon (seems to be one of the favourites). Will report back on Summer & Winter performance.

Back