Technical 2019 4x4 cross - all season tyres options + 175 or 185?

Currently reading:
Technical 2019 4x4 cross - all season tyres options + 175 or 185?

burtstyle

I’ve come across a few posts discussing tyre sizes and so just wondering if there’s clarity on it as there seems to be disagreement as to legality etc for 185.

Since owner my cross I’ve found some databases list it as a city cross but it’s defo a 4x4 one( as I think I paid a bit less as the sell listed as a city), but this database inconsistency is causing me to distrust anything that works of my reg plate.

So I want some all season tyres for the winter - are people rating crossclimates over vector3 ? Is there anything else to consider?

Also if you look at the attached pic of my hand book (this is an extra booklet to the main handbook), it states 185 is an option for the cross models. My wheels have ET30 stamped on them (they were mint so of course the wheels may not be the exact ones it came with).

With this in mind, if you had the choice would you opt for 185 or 175?

Attachments

• ED63E5E0-930D-4647-A59E-A8BB2DEB72B3.jpeg
    ED63E5E0-930D-4647-A59E-A8BB2DEB72B3.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 304
In the earlier days, before the raft of non 4x4 Cross models it was simple...
the 'normal' 4x4 Panda had full winter, semi off-road 175/65 R15 tyres on 15 inch wheels with an offset of ET35 (Continental CrossContact Winter)
the 4x4 Cross came with 185/65 R15 all season tyres on 15 inch wheels with a ET30 offset (so the tyres didn't catch the subframe, I believe) and was fitted with All season Goodyear Vectors.

This suggests 185s will fit your wheels.

I changed the factory-fitted Conti CrossContacts on my 4x4 even though only part worn as they turned out to be pretty poor in summer, and especially in the wet. I went for Michelin CrossClimates (175/65) and have been very impressed -- but not seen snow (changed two years ago). Since then, the CrossClimate has been improved, first to a 'plus' version and now to CrossClimate 2. In the very latest tyre tests, these newer ones seem to be very good, not only bettering other all-season tyres, but also working better than many full winter tyres in the snow. They seem to wear slowly too; mine have apparently hardly worn at all after 15000 miles or more, which is pretty impressive. But in other tests, teh Goodyear Vectors do very well, and again are now in a third generation. To be honest it seems there's little to choose between them.

Amazing thank you. We have vectors on our t6 camper and they are great. Might give the crossclimates a go though for the panda.

A quick "just in case" as an addendum: though they've deleted their account here, we used to have a Norwegian friend who managed to use 195/55 Nokians on his Cross without spacers and minimal rubbing (only when icicles were dangling from the wheel wells), and I have 185/65 summer (Bridgestone 005) and 185/60 winter (Continental 860) on my "regular" 4x4 (ET35 offset) with no rubbing or issues other than the aforementioned icicles and winter buildup of sludge. I have definitely seen the advantages of the larger contact patch on the summers as braking and cornering have improved significantly, while I found the opposite true for the winters (went for the 185 width mostly due to the sporadic nature of bad weather where I live, but the aquaplaning and off-road snow performance is definitely worse than the 175 CrossContacts). As Herts has already said, the Michelins are winning tests left right and center, but depending on where you are getting them in the right size may be an issue, but I'd say for an all season the difference between a 175 and 185 would be negligible.

A quick "just in case" as an addendum: though they've deleted their account here, we used to have a Norwegian friend who managed to use 195/55 Nokians on his Cross without spacers and minimal rubbing (only when icicles were dangling from the wheel wells), and I have 185/65 summer (Bridgestone 005) and 185/60 winter (Continental 860) on my "regular" 4x4 (ET35 offset) with no rubbing or issues other than the aforementioned icicles and winter buildup of sludge. I have definitely seen the advantages of the larger contact patch on the summers as braking and cornering have improved significantly, while I found the opposite true for the winters (went for the 185 width mostly due to the sporadic nature of bad weather where I live, but the aquaplaning and off-road snow performance is definitely worse than the 175 CrossContacts). As Herts has already said, the Michelins are winning tests left right and center, but depending on where you are getting them in the right size may be an issue, but I'd say for an all season the difference between a 175 and 185 would be negligible.

A addendum about Bibendum !!! thank you.

Will be interesting to see what dry handling changes, I actually like what iit does at the moment it’s a fun car.

I was looking at getting some steels for the winter cross (just basic pepper pots), but then i thought I need to find the right offset - do you run second wheels? .

A addendum about Bibendum !!! thank you.

Will be interesting to see what dry handling changes, I actually like what iit does at the moment it’s a fun car.

I was looking at getting some steels for the winter cross (just basic pepper pots), but then i thought I need to find the right offset - do you run second wheels? .

I just resort to going to the Continental dealer I got the TS860's from and have them swapped out each season to be honest.

There is one small ‘upside’ to the 185/65 tyres: they are slightly larger in overall diameter (by about 13mm) and so give you a whole 6.5mm extra ground clearance - which is why the original Cross 4x4 is often quoted as having extra raised suspension over the regular 4x4.

Another small "upside" is that the GPS speed of the car at indicated 100kph is now 98kph as opposed to the 94 with the 175's, although acceleration is similarly (but negligibly) damped.

I’ve come across a few posts discussing tyre sizes and so just wondering if there’s clarity on it as there seems to be disagreement as to legality etc for 185.

Since owner my cross I’ve found some databases list it as a city cross but it’s defo a 4x4 one( as I think I paid a bit less as the sell listed as a city), but this database inconsistency is causing me to distrust anything that works of my reg plate.

So I want some all season tyres for the winter - are people rating crossclimates over vector3 ? Is there anything else to consider?

Also if you look at the attached pic of my hand book (this is an extra booklet to the main handbook), it states 185 is an option for the cross models. My wheels have ET30 stamped on them (they were mint so of course the wheels may not be the exact ones it came with).

With this in mind, if you had the choice would you opt for 185 or 175?
Michelin Latitude Cross 185x65x15 extra strong sidewall - Mud and Snow rated

my cross 4x4 year22 got both 175 and 185/65 r15 in the papers... so will go on the wider ones in summer and stay on 175 for snowy days ...
just ordered bridgestone blizzak lm005.

I run Conti contact 6 on my summer alloys and Michelin Alpin on the winter steels the car came on. Mich are noisy but very good on wet and muddy roads the best I have used for a very long time indeed. Wear over 2 winters ranges from nearly imperceptible to 0.5mm. The Contis have worn far far faster and though they are quiet and grip well I shall not be buying any more as 5mm of wear over the same distance as the michelins is not acceptable. Either 175 or 185 are Ok according to the handbook so my next summer tyres will be the 185s unless they cost a lot more. Front grip on the 4x4 is not a big strength and although I dont fling the car about, I would like a greater margin for emergencies hence going up a size. My experience of Cross climates was they are Ok but they do have a documented weakness on cornering aquaplaning and I felt it was noticiable although not to a very serious extent. Snow performance was however much less good than I expected although a little better than summer tyres. Cross climates have evolved twice or three times since my foray 4 years ago and I believe they are much improved. I think the next summer set will be Goodyear Vectors as they will offer more off road grip than a summer tyre. Not much point in having a 4x4 and the wrong boots! I shall stick with the 175 for my winter boots.

Just picking up the thread, which is really useful, can I just check my understanding of something?

Standard 4x4: Notwithstanding that your experience suggests that 185/65 R15s will just about fit without rubbing, for extra insurance, as it were, I could fit 5mm spacers which have the effect of taking the standard 4x4 wheel offset of ET35 to the Cross's ET30, which Fiat specs as standard to ensure that the wider tyre fits.

Have I got that right?

The handbook for my 2018 (non Cross) 4x4 shows both tyre sizes - but looking more closely shows the wheel offset different for each. Logically (to me at least) a 5mm spacer would adjust for that. But since 5mm isn’t very much, maybe just try without?
I suppose little to no harm would be caused and I could retro-fit if necessary - me being cautious and checking there would be a resolution route if necessary.

I'm planning to fit Vred. All Seasons (Quatrac 6) and I haven't seen any mentions of them, and I know that whilst 185/65 is a standard, different tyres behave differently in terms of their profile when on a rim iyswim.

BTW would I also need to buy longer wheel bolts if I fitted spacers or is 5mm a sufficiently negligible difference?

Haven't actually bought the car yet, but barring any last-minute panics should do over the next day or few. Tyres are first on the list as there are no two tyres the same on the car at the moment, bless it!

I suppose little to no harm would be caused and I could retro-fit if necessary - me being cautious and checking there would be a resolution route if necessary.

I'm planning to fit Vred. All Seasons (Quatrac 6) and I haven't seen any mentions of them, and I know that whilst 185/65 is a standard, different tyres behave differently in terms of their profile when on a rim iyswim.

The Quadtrac came second - to Goodyear - in the most recent all-season tests from here

I used Vredestein Quadtrac on my old 2005 Panda and they were good - it not so long lasting. But they, like all other options - have been through several iterations since then.

Yes, I've looked at the tests and I reckon they just shade my previous favourite the Hankook. Vred's a bit of an overlooked brand, and not on my radar previously.

I was so impressed with the HiFly ‘vigorous’ on my Cherokee XJ I bought 175/65 for my panda 4x4 2005, guess what, no longer suppled to UK

Back