Technical 2017 Tipo warning lights

Currently reading:
Technical 2017 Tipo warning lights

Allanf38

Hi everyone, I own a 2017 Tipo (base model, so nothing fancy). Over the last few weeks I've been having various warnings appear intermittently - engine management, hill hold assist, anti skid etc. When these come on, the car goes into limp mode, and I have to press the accelerator hard to get it moving again. I tried to book it into the local Fiat garage to get it checked but despite multiple calls they never got back to me, so I took it to a local RAC recommended garage which had rave reviews online. They diagnosed a faulty throttle position sensor (I think that was what she said) and replaced the accelerator pedal unit. The problem re-appeared a couple of days later. After searching online, I saw that it could possibly be a bad battery so I replaced with a new battery (to be on the safe side I bought a start/stop battery even though the car doesn't have start/stop), but the problem continues.

The problem is very intermittent - for example we recently drove from Glasgow to the Isle of Wight, pottered around the IoW for a week and drove back again with no problem. After dumping our cases back in the house, I jumped back in the car to get some milk from Sainsbury's and the problem came back. The only other problem of not is that prior to these warnings appearing it very, very occasionally (as in maybe once every two months) idled slightly rough when sitting at traffic lights, but this was solved by tapping the accelerator.

Anyone have any ideas what to look at next? I love the car so don't really want to have to think about replacing it, would rather solve the problem if possible.

Oh no, how embarrassing - that's probably the most important piece of info, isn't it? It's the 1.4 petrol.

I think the battery is starting to go.

Lots of weird lights and things happen when the battery is starting to give a lower voltage, it doesn't take a lot of voltage drop, half a volt, to cause it. It happens to modern cars because they're full of sensitive electronics.

The long trip would help for a while, not sure it would show errors.

Worth getting the battery condition checked.

Lots of weird lights and things happen when the battery is starting to give a lower voltage, it doesn't take a lot of voltage drop, half a volt, to cause it. It happens to modern cars because they're full of sensitive electronics.

Apperntly he has had a new battery sounds like op need to get the codes checked again otherwise we are just guessing at this point

He said he's installed a new battery already, but if people think voltage is a likely cause, could it be the alternator ?

I had the same thing happen when my battery failed with a dead cell. Even though he’s fitted a new battery I would double check the connections and check the alternator output. Two of my past new Fiats both had the same lights appear when one battery packed up and the other went flat.

Thanks everyone, I've checked the connections and all seem fine, as for checking the alternator output that is as beyond me as building a nuclear reactor. However the lights have all gone off now, and everything seems to be running fine. I wonder if possibly the new battery wasn't fully charged, and having done a few decent runs it's now up to capacity. I'll see how it goes - if it reappears I'll take it back to the garage to get the codes checked again.

When you put the new battery in did you have it coded so the car knows it’s new and treats the charging as if it’s new? It’s not just a case of popping a new battery on cars with a monitored system.

When you put the new battery in did you have it coded so the car knows it’s new and treats the charging as if it’s new? It’s not just a case of popping a new battery on cars with a monitored system.

Not of Fiat's
Just need a new battery fitting a it self Learning within a day or two
No coding required for a battery

Hi everyone, I own a 2017 Tipo (base model, so nothing fancy). Over the last few weeks I've been having various warnings appear intermittently - engine management, hill hold assist, anti skid etc. When these come on, the car goes into limp mode, and I have to press the accelerator hard to get it moving again. I tried to book it into the local Fiat garage to get it checked but despite multiple calls they never got back to me, so I took it to a local RAC recommended garage which had rave reviews online. They diagnosed a faulty throttle position sensor (I think that was what she said) and replaced the accelerator pedal unit. The problem re-appeared a couple of days later. After searching online, I saw that it could possibly be a bad battery so I replaced with a new battery (to be on the safe side I bought a start/stop battery even though the car doesn't have start/stop), but the problem continues.

The problem is very intermittent - for example we recently drove from Glasgow to the Isle of Wight, pottered around the IoW for a week and drove back again with no problem. After dumping our cases back in the house, I jumped back in the car to get some milk from Sainsbury's and the problem came back. The only other problem of not is that prior to these warnings appearing it very, very occasionally (as in maybe once every two months) idled slightly rough when sitting at traffic lights, but this was solved by tapping the accelerator.

Anyone have any ideas what to look at next? I love the car so don't really want to have to think about replacing it, would rather solve the problem if possible.
I’ve had similar issues and have just replaced the brake switch that’s connected to the foot brake. The cue for me was that the cruise control wasn’t available after it fails.

Back