Technical 2010 Panda electric door/wing mirror internal parts

Currently reading:
Technical 2010 Panda electric door/wing mirror internal parts

Rogereld

Greetings everyone. My first post here so I hope I am in the correct place.
I have recently taken ownership of a 2010 Panda 100HP. Originally fitted with electric door mirrors, the driver side took a hit and has been replaced by the previous owner with a mechanical version as they could not obtain the electric motor version at the time. I have the parts of the original mirror in a box. The mechanical replacement is fitted without the interior trim panel and the control knob attached to the three mechanical adjustment twist cables is protruding in towards the steering wheel leaving a functional but not ideal repair.

Does anyone know how to remove the motor driven internal section that holds the mirror glass from the body of the internal section of the mirror. I am hoping I can replace the mechanical internals with the electric internals. The other option is to replace the whole body of the mirror but that will require releasing the very large spring and post that holds the mirror body on to the pivot where it folds. The original electric mirror has broken at the point where the alloy tube connects to the door bracket.

Not sure what your asking for

The door mirror is normally held on by a single nut on the inside behind the trim

It only turns one way but the latch can be released with a small screwdriver

The mirror comes off this is what's underneath, mine manual mirror

The pivot it riveted

IMG_20230711_160608.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings everyone. My first post here so I hope I am in the correct place.
I have recently taken ownership of a 2010 Panda 100HP. Originally fitted with electric door mirrors, the driver side took a hit and has been replaced by the previous owner with a mechanical version as they could not obtain the electric motor version at the time. I have the parts of the original mirror in a box. The mechanical replacement is fitted without the interior trim panel and the control knob attached to the three mechanical adjustment twist cables is protruding in towards the steering wheel leaving a functional but not ideal repair.

Does anyone know how to remove the motor driven internal section that holds the mirror glass from the body of the internal section of the mirror. I am hoping I can replace the mechanical internals with the electric internals. The other option is to replace the whole body of the mirror but that will require releasing the very large spring and post that holds the mirror body on to the pivot where it folds. The original electric mirror has broken at the point where the alloy tube connects to the door bracket.
Depending on the damage, might be worth doing a forum search for Panda Wing Mirror repair.
There is a guide (for the 2012+ Panda) but I think most of it applies to the 169 Panda and 500 as well.

Depending on the damage, might be worth doing a forum search for Panda Wing Mirror repair.
There is a guide (for the 2012+ Panda) but I think most of it applies to the 169 Panda and 500 as well.
Thanks for advice. It is a 2010 panda with the larger style (2010-2012) door mirrors. I searched before posting and already found advice on how to remove the entire mirror assembly from the car. I have the original broken mirror assembly in a box, in several parts. The original breakage was in the plastic casting of the outside door bracket at the pivot point so I cannot use the original door bracket. Damaged bit is circled in the attached photo.

The replacement manual mirror has a fully functioning door bracket. To change the entire original electric mirror housing on to the new bracket requires removal of the very strong spring within the pivot and I found no guidance on how to remove and replace this and it looks like it needs a spring compressor or a bit of tooling made to do the job.

I have now removed the painted cover off the door mirror currently fitted on the car to look at what has been fitted to replace the original electric mirror. I broke one of the 4 cover tabs so I hope it will re-fit without problems. The replacement unit was from ECP and has slightly different mirror fittings inside so I don't think I can interchange parts with the original.

I was hoping I could just replace the electric motor unit holding the mirror glass, and feed the electrical wires down through the pivot and in to the (3 pin) coupler inside the car. But as the case mouldings are different this does not seem possible.

Conclusion is I will probably have to wait until I find a complete second hand electric door mirror of the larger 2010-2012 type and replace the whole thing, using the painted cover from the original if I can get it to fit safely with only 3/4 tabs.

IMG_6976a.jpg

Yep no way to repair properly, easily

Mine got broke off in a car wash its been glued back together with the original slow cure JB Weld

You loose the ability to swing it out of the way, it will also not fold if you hit someone

But it has held together for over a year now

With the help of a bit more research and a few pictures found on another thread I have looked more closely at the part of the bracket that I thought had broken tabs. Encouraged by the possibility that what I thought was damage to the plastic "bayonet" socket was perhaps just the way it was made, I have attempted a repair.

I used a coach bolt and a selection of penny washers and a large nut as a spacer and with the application of a bit of grease to help everything move I managed to compress the large spring and turn the alloy tube using the pointed ends of a pair of pliers. It took several attempts but now the mirror is returned to working condition and I have re-fitted it to the car door.

Photo attached of the various bits I used. The top penny washers were just big enough to engage with the metal tube, without covering the two slots that the end of the pliers went in to to turn the tube. At the bottom it needed a larger washer to go against the plastic at the base of the bracket. The large nut was just a spacer so that the socket would engage with the small nut without the threaded stud protruding too far.

Before compressing the spring the electrical wiring needed disconnecting from the mirror end and removing from the tube, and then re threading after the mirror was connected to the bracket. ( The connector plug inside the door is too big to fit through the tubes so I had to remove it from the mirror end.) This requires removing the mirror glass and unscrewing the internals of the mirror to get at the connnector on the mirror.

IMG_6979.jpg

You'll need a complete mirror unit. 100HP mirrors painted body colour but the black body can be done with the correct primer.

Here's one

Here's a better one ready to paint

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This is a 2010 Panda 100hp. From 2009 to 2013 the door mirrors are larger and different shape to earlier cars. There are listings on ebay for both types but I have not needed to use a new mirror.

As mentioned already, the original mirror was successfully repaired using the tools pictured, and replaced on the car. It is now fully functioning. My last post was to report how I fixed the mirror for the benefit of anyone who may encounter a similar problem later.

This is a 2010 Panda 100hp. From 2009 to 2013 the door mirrors are larger and different shape to earlier cars. There are listings on ebay for both types but I have not needed to use a new mirror.

As mentioned already, the original mirror was successfully repaired using the tools pictured, and replaced on the car. It is now fully functioning. My last post was to report how I fixed the mirror for the benefit of anyone who may encounter a similar problem later.

Well done (y)

I assume this was the Supplied electrical mirror you reassembled..?

(There are a couple of GUIDES around for 500's) one using bolts..one using cable ties..

I SOMEHOW did the same job at the side of the road with my 'damaged by previous owner' mirror

Its certainly a strong spring !!

After finding the original mirror hanging from its bracket by the wires, the previous owner had obtained a replacement mirror from Euro Car Parts and fitted it to the car a few months ago to make it roadworthy, but it was a mechanical (cable) version as that was all that was available to him at the time.

He put all the bits of the original electric mirror in a box and passed them on to me with the car. It is the original electric operated mirror that I have managed to re-assemble.

My first hope of retaining the shell of the mechanical mirror and using the electric motor and glass from the original proved to be impossible, partly because the aftermarket mechanical mirror did not have identical internal parts to the original.

Back