Technical 2000 Ducato 14 burstner screen demist problem

Currently reading:
Technical 2000 Ducato 14 burstner screen demist problem

Goolash

Anyone know how the windscreen demist function works on a Burstner i642. 2000 ducato 14, 2.8. Integrated motohome.
The demist is practically non existent, the blower works ok on floor and face, but switch to screen and you get no flow from the vents contained in the cover from dash to screen. The fan speed doesnt change, so no blocks. Can't seem to remove this cover. Wondered if I could gain access from glove box but can't remove this either. Any ideas?

Anyone know how the windscreen demist function works on a Burstner i642. 2000 ducato 14, 2.8. Integrated motohome.
The demist is practically non existent, the blower works ok on floor and face, but switch to screen and you get no flow from the vents contained in the cover from dash to screen. The fan speed doesnt change, so no blocks. Can't seem to remove this cover. Wondered if I could gain access from glove box but can't remove this either. Any ideas?
This does sound like you have a feed pipe loose somewhere , more so as the floor and face vents work fine . But i'm gonna be honest here , i'm not exactly sure how much help , i'm actually gonna be . I only have very limited knowledge of the heater system , and that's totally due to my converting the radio socket to double din . This is made more difficult as my primary phone packed up 2 weeks ago , and the replacement does not have a camera . I didn't realise this when i ordered it , so is something else that needs addressing . I should also warn you , my van is a left hooker , however as no one else has posted , i will try and help .
Okay well , access to the heater is pretty poor with the dashboard in place . Basically the heater is mounted centrally , with the blower in the offside foot well , and the heater matrix on the nearside . What i believe is a collector box is mounted above the heater , and if you have the original donor vehicles dashboard fitted , can be accessed by removing the upper centre switch panel below the heater vents . Not that there's much point in doing such a thing , as interestingly the collector appears to be moulded as part of the dashboard top . On my van , a previous owner had cut a hole into this , to feed a gps wire and i ended up having to put it right , and plug the hole . I know for a fact the face vents are fed directly from this collector , and so would suspect this is where the feed for the windscreen is too . I'm unsure how the lower vent is supplied , logic dictates there must be some kind of bypass somewhere behind the heater , but this is surmised . Purely because there are none of the usual heater pipes you would expect to see . Instead the pipes are a moulded tube , more rectangular than round , probably to save space .
As it happens , my base vehicle is exactly the same year , and model as yours , however it's a coachbuilt Hymer . There are no heater out flow pipes within the engine space , only twin intakes from the space between the bumper , and front off side wheel . These feed into what appears to be , a filter box , of the type that probably housed a pollen filter at one time . It then passes through the firewall , i guess to directly feed the heater . Heat from the engine cooling system also passes through the fire wall beside this , to feed the heater matrix , towards the nearside of the heater box .
Now with all that said , this means the windshield feed , must actually be inside the vehicle somewhere , but is not visible , even when the lower dash panels are removed . Trust me , my van still has these panels removed , and i've just slipped out to check . I suspect it may feed behind a panel outboard of my dashboard , that i've not had to remove . But the truth here is , i don't even know if this panel can be removed , i've not had to access this area .
And so , that is pretty much it , however i would throw a caution in at this point . The 230 series has an electrical issue regarding the blower motor , in that prolonged use of the fourth fan speed , can melt the fuse , and damage the fuse block . It's actually a well known fault , and one i've had to deal with . The fuse block is no longer available , and took 3 years to source , eventually finding a used one from a breaker , in Lithuania .

I have had same problem with my 2002 i642.. I lifted the cover from top of dash.. There are no ducts connected to vent holes.. So air is blown from original van fittings and finds its own way to the new dash cover holes!!! so now real power to them, Mine does keep windscreen and side windows clear if I dry them first!! I hope this helps.

I have had same problem with my 2002 i642.. I lifted the cover from top of dash.. There are no ducts connected to vent holes.. So air is blown from original van fittings and finds its own way to the new dash cover holes!!! so now real power to them, Mine does keep windscreen and side windows clear if I dry them first!! I hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply. That's interesting as the whole dash cover gets quite hot when on demist which would be the case if there are no ducts. Was it easy to remove the dash cover, mine seems to be stuck even with all the screws removed. Am I missing something?

This does sound like you have a feed pipe loose somewhere , more so as the floor and face vents work fine . But i'm gonna be honest here , i'm not exactly sure how much help , i'm actually gonna be . I only have very limited knowledge of the heater system , and that's totally due to my converting the radio socket to double din . This is made more difficult as my primary phone packed up 2 weeks ago , and the replacement does not have a camera . I didn't realise this when i ordered it , so is something else that needs addressing . I should also warn you , my van is a left hooker , however as no one else has posted , i will try and help .
Okay well , access to the heater is pretty poor with the dashboard in place . Basically the heater is mounted centrally , with the blower in the offside foot well , and the heater matrix on the nearside . What i believe is a collector box is mounted above the heater , and if you have the original donor vehicles dashboard fitted , can be accessed by removing the upper centre switch panel below the heater vents . Not that there's much point in doing such a thing , as interestingly the collector appears to be moulded as part of the dashboard top . On my van , a previous owner had cut a hole into this , to feed a gps wire and i ended up having to put it right , and plug the hole . I know for a fact the face vents are fed directly from this collector , and so would suspect this is where the feed for the windscreen is too . I'm unsure how the lower vent is supplied , logic dictates there must be some kind of bypass somewhere behind the heater , but this is surmised . Purely because there are none of the usual heater pipes you would expect to see . Instead the pipes are a moulded tube , more rectangular than round , probably to save space .
As it happens , my base vehicle is exactly the same year , and model as yours , however it's a coachbuilt Hymer . There are no heater out flow pipes within the engine space , only twin intakes from the space between the bumper , and front off side wheel . These feed into what appears to be , a filter box , of the type that probably housed a pollen filter at one time . It then passes through the firewall , i guess to directly feed the heater . Heat from the engine cooling system also passes through the fire wall beside this , to feed the heater matrix , towards the nearside of the heater box .
Now with all that said , this means the windshield feed , must actually be inside the vehicle somewhere , but is not visible , even when the lower dash panels are removed . Trust me , my van still has these panels removed , and i've just slipped out to check . I suspect it may feed behind a panel outboard of my dashboard , that i've not had to remove . But the truth here is , i don't even know if this panel can be removed , i've not had to access this area .
And so , that is pretty much it , however i would throw a caution in at this point . The 230 series has an electrical issue regarding the blower motor , in that prolonged use of the fourth fan speed , can melt the fuse , and damage the fuse block . It's actually a well known fault , and one i've had to deal with . The fuse block is no longer available , and took 3 years to source , eventually finding a used one from a breaker , in Lithuania .
Thanks for your full description. The problem I have is that I can't seem to be able to remove the panel from dash to screen but thanks to wkmarine it seems the air just finds its way to the vents.
Re. Fuse. Mine melted, I replaced it with a separate plug in fuse holder which I had to mount under the fuse block. Not ideal, but it doesn't show any signs of overheating. Have also had to replace the fan speed switch.
have had same problem with my 2002 i642.. I lifted the cover from top of dash.. There are no ducts connected to vent holes.. So air is blown from original van fittings and finds its own way to the new dash cover holes!!! so now real power to them, Mine does keep windscreen and side windows clear if I dry them first!! I hope this helps.

Back