Technical 2000 2.8 Idti Ducato MK2 - Starter Motor Just Clicks

Currently reading:
Technical 2000 2.8 Idti Ducato MK2 - Starter Motor Just Clicks

Mainman44

Hi,

Wondered if anyone had any ideas on why my 2.8 Idti engined motorhome won't start and the starter motor just clicks when trying to start the engine.

New battery, and I fitted a new starter motor, as I thought the original 23 year old one had a faulty solenoid.

Factory and 3rd party immobilisers are both working.

When I took a jump lead from the battery positive and touched it on the +ve of the starter, it made it start initially, but no longer works this way anymore. I also took the battery negative and attached it to the engine low down, in case it was an earthing issue - didn't help.

Is there a separate starter motor relay somewhere?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated 👍

Thanks - Martin

Make sure battery is now not flat.
Run a temporary wire from solenoid trigger terminal , touch it to battery positive if starter operates correctly then fault is in starter trigger circuit(possible but unlikely)
If fault remains problem is with high current starter circuit , either ground wires or positive wires .
Last option is your new starter is faulty - unlikely.

I have had replacement starters, 3 in a row for our Uno many years back, batteries and alternators all faulty so definitley dont rule this out. The starter is clearly either faulty or not getting enough powers so step back to first priciples and check it for the basics. Give thet starter and the solenoid a sharp tap with a block of wood and a mallet.

How long since it last was driven. Check if necessary the engine turns freely. Check those battery leads are still sound. There could be a fault inside any insulation that is not obvious.

I have had replacement starters, 3 in a row for our Uno many years back, batteries and alternators all faulty so definitley dont rule this out. The starter is clearly either faulty or not getting enough powers so step back to first priciples and check it for the basics. Give thet starter and the solenoid a sharp tap with a block of wood and a mallet.

How long since it last was driven. Check if necessary the engine turns freely. Check those battery leads are still sound. There could be a fault inside any insulation that is not obvious.
Many thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have banged the starter motor with a hammer and wood. I think it's definitely not getting enough current, so the 23 year old wiring may be at fault.

I have managed to book an auto electrician to look at it in three days. Hopefully he will work out what's wrong!🤞

Many thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have banged the starter motor with a hammer and wood. I think it's definitely not getting enough current, so the 23 year old wiring may be at fault.

I have managed to book an auto electrician to look at it in three days. Hopefully he will work out what's wrong!🤞

In the meantime..

Worth trying this...

We have had more than one case of a seized alternator.. Bringing similar non crank weirdness

Try uncoupling the Alternator belt..

If it helps.. Could save some wasted electrical tests

Back