Technical 1971 Giardi brake problem

Currently reading:
Technical 1971 Giardi brake problem

RHDGiardi

I've just joined this forum in the hope that someone out there can help, having tried everything and everywhere else, including suppliers in Italy.

I have a 1971 Giardi which has a bent front offside backplate, so bent that the wheel bolts clunk against the wheel cylinder. I've straightened it as best I can, but I still need to use short bolts (from a Beetle) to get the wheel to go round. The brakes aren't very good as a result of this distortion.

So buy a new backplate, I hear you cry. Problem, they aren't made for a Giardi. They're bigger than on the saloon, same size as the late 126, but the bolt pattern differs, and the Giardi drums have the bolt holes in the drums, whereas the 126 uses hubs at the front.

So, I really need a new (or at least unbent) offside front backplate for my Giardi .... anyone got one?
IMG_6320.JPG

I also have 1972 saloon.

I've just joined this forum in the hope that someone out there can help, having tried everything and everywhere else, including suppliers in Italy.

I have a 1971 Giardi which has a bent front offside backplate, so bent that the wheel bolts clunk against the wheel cylinder. I've straightened it as best I can, but I still need to use short bolts (from a Beetle) to get the wheel to go round. The brakes aren't very good as a result of this distortion.

So buy a new backplate, I hear you cry. Problem, they aren't made for a Giardi. They're bigger than on the saloon, same size as the late 126, but the bolt pattern differs, and the Giardi drums have the bolt holes in the drums, whereas the 126 uses hubs at the front.

So, I really need a new (or at least unbent) offside front backplate for my Giardi .... anyone got one?
View attachment 427307
I also have 1972 saloon.
The brakes on the Giardy are Fiat 600----so looking for brake parts for these cars may be your answer. I am away until Teusday, but if you want to contact me direct ([email protected]) after that, I will try and help you with a list of 600 suppliers. For a start, try 'Motobambino' at Carnforth---Mark Jayes is "the man".

The brakes on the Giardy are Fiat 600----so looking for brake parts for these cars may be your answer. I am away until Teusday, but if you want to contact me direct ([email protected]) after that, I will try and help you with a list of 600 suppliers. For a start, try 'Motobambino' at Carnforth---Mark Jayes is "the man".
Thanks for responding, apologies for delay in replying. I usually use Ricambio for parts, Franco is very knowledgable, but I've been in touch with Mark at Motobambino and Toto at fiat500spareparts and none of them can help. The backplates on my Giardi are the same size as those on the 126 (much larger than the 500 saloon), but they have adjusters on the back which those on the 126 do not. Also, the front wheels have no hubs (as the 126 does), the Giardi wheels bolt straight into the brake drums. This may well be the same as the 600, I don't know, but I don't think new backplates for the 600 are available either. I think I've located a pair of front Giardi backplates at a supplier in Turin, just waiting for confirmation. Meanwhile, the car is usable, but I wouldn't like to have to do an emergency stop!

Back