Technical 1971 500 Torque settings

Currently reading:
Technical 1971 500 Torque settings

matt1267

I have a 1971 500. Does anyone know the torque setting on the two rocker assembly bolts? In both Llb and newton. Going to buy a torque wrench but they all seem different!!

I have a 1971 500. Does anyone know the torque setting on the two rocker assembly bolts? In both Llb and newton. Going to buy a torque wrench but they all seem different!!
According to the 'Factory book of words', the torque for the "rocker-shaft to head"nuts is 15.2 ft,lb. (21.2 Nm). The studs need to be put in tight (use the 'double nut system) before you re-fit the rocker-shaft. Strangely, this went up to 18 ft.lb (25Nm) on the 126 engines, although I can't see any difference in the parts. The difficulty in 'torquing' those nuts (don't forget to fit a flat washer, followed by a spring washer under the nut) is that they are a long way down the stud--you WILL need a long 13mm socket. For most of the torque settings on the 500/126 engine, a 3/8in drive torque-wrench (and sockets) will do. The 1/2 in drive torque wrenches tend to be for higher torque settings.

Back