Technical Starter motor problem. Does this look alright?

Currently reading:
Technical Starter motor problem. Does this look alright?

smart51

Established member
Yesterday I couldn't start my car an hour or two after a long run. It barely turned over like the battery was dead. Later, it wouldn't turn over at all, it just pulled the battery down so the generator light went off. The battery was at 13.5V, which is a little high, but certainly not dead.

So today I've taken off the starter and stripped it down. There is 1.7 ohms across it, which seems fine. Inside doesn't look bad if you ignore the grime, though the switch contacts could be cleaner. It looks fine to me.

Those of you who know, how does it look to you?

20240421_143335.jpg

20240421_152033.jpg

20240421_152048.jpg

I've cleaned up the contracts a bit, though they didn't look bad before.

20240421_152059.jpg

The bushes aren't bad though there is a tiny amount of play. Apart from the starter lever dust cover, which is shot, does anything need replacing?

I'm not convinced that this is the problem but it did need doing.

20240423_131158.jpg

More concerning is that the new switch sticks on when fully tightened down. The copper bus bar is bigger than the old one and seems to be sliding on the stud so that the other end sticks on the contact on the body. I'm not sure whether to return it or file it down and try again. A permanently stuck on starter is not a hood thing.

20240423_134550.jpg

Hmm. Rebuilt starter motor fitted. Same problem. The battery is toast and its only a year old. 13.5v with the ignition on. 6.5v with the headlights on. Does this mean the regulator is suspect?

Frustrating... Still it does seem like you've found a problem there. The battery does indeed sound dead if just turning the lights on drops the voltage that low.

It could just be bad luck with the battery, it could be a charging issue? I guess a new battery is going to be needed regardless, but once you have it in then maybe it's worth checking the voltage when the car is running at idle and revved up, make sure there's nothing strange going on with the regulator. I have a feeling the original style regulator's are in theory adjustable if its over or undercharging, but in practice it's probably just better to fit a modern replacement.

For reference. the pictures of the starter looks at least as good as condition as the two I have here which work.

Frustrating... Still it does seem like you've found a problem there. The battery does indeed sound dead if just turning the lights on drops the voltage that low.

It could just be bad luck with the battery, it could be a charging issue? I guess a new battery is going to be needed regardless, but once you have it in then maybe it's worth checking the voltage when the car is running at idle and revved up, make sure there's nothing strange going on with the regulator. I have a feeling the original style regulator's are in theory adjustable if its over or undercharging, but in practice it's probably just better to fit a modern replacement.

For reference. the pictures of the starter looks at least as good as condition as the two I have here which work.
The old regulator's are indeed adjustable. But . . it's a nasty looking procedure, judging by the pages in the factory workshop manual.

Personally, get a new electronic one and have done with it.

That confirms it. New battery fitted, engine starts (good!). Voltage across the battery terminals when the engine is idling - 17.7V. Not good.

So what kind of regulator do you recommend?

Back