Technical 1242 engine

Currently reading:
Technical 1242 engine

kamikaze

yeah i know this is has been a topick like twothousen and something times before but i have some questions :eek:)
is every 1242 engine ok to use? "the new 16v engine?"
do you use the gearbox from the sinq or the 1242? "six speed box would be nice :D "do you use standard driveshafts?
any answers will be much appreciated :)
need to get this out of my head and start scavenging :bang:

I reckon even I can help on this now: - whatever I say isn't fact but others will correct me if i am wrong :)

The 1242 8v is fine as it's SPI like the 1108, the 16v I believe is MPI - it uses a different ECU etc. to the 1108 hence needs a lot more work to be used. It is possible to use some of the parts (the hotter cam etc. Tom has done this (arse of box))

The standard gearbox is fine for the 1242 8v.

Standard driveshafts - yes AFAIK.

Another point is that it's a bolt for bolt fix and looks practically the same (just sitting a little higher that's all, nothing noticible!). The only thing you do need to be aware of is that you need to create a spacer between your present exhaust and the new manifold on the 1242 as there is a different in height of approx 10mm or so which needs solving.

Thanx mate..

i know the problems regarding the mpi and integrating the ecu in the cinq loom but im interrested in if the 16v head will come in conflict
with the hood? or anything else for that matter
anyone know if the 6 speed box of the sporting would fit?
would be nice to just throw both of em in there, close the hood and start tinkering the electrics :D
a friend of mine is an car electrision so thats the least problem...
anyone know the weight for the 1100 the 1242 8v and 16v by the way??

AFAIK the SPI and MPI have the same design just a different head and will fit fine, just there's a lot of work with the loom and ECU as you say.

There's somebody out there (who sometimes comes on here) with a 1242 16v, I am not 100% sure whether he has the 6speed box though. I think the 6 speed box is quite rare?

Tom bought the 16v [by accident i think?] and just changed the head as it was too much work to change it all IIRC. I believe the 1242 8v as standard is 60BHP but a big increase in torque where as the 1242 16v can be in guises up to 80BHP i think?

I don't even own a car ATM nevermind a cinq or know too much about engines, lol, this is just info I have picked up from previous threads! More knowing people will reply soon :)

Good work Paul!!

I dunno anything about the 1242 16v head, but I imagine that it might cause a few probs- cos i think the inlet manifolds are longer.

The engine weighs about 50kg I think...Can look up on ePER though!

chears mate

the 1242 16 in the type2 punto sporting has 80 ponies and a 6 speed box
guess im gonna end up with the easy solution anyway sinse theese engines and boxes firstly dont grow on trees and probably cost more than a 1242 8v AND a turbokit... easy choise really :D

Yeah the 6spd boxes really arent cheap...£300 (650 EUR) was a good price apparently..

But playing with the 8v can be good (Im hoping for near to 90-100BHp from mine, remaining N/A)- it may be a bit optimistic, but Im gonna go as high as I can reliably

sensors?
from the old engine to the new?
sorry dont quite get you... :rolleyes:

kamikaze said:
sensors?
from the old engine to the new?
sorry dont quite get you... :rolleyes:

Oil pressure switch and TDC Sensor...

The TDC Sensor needs to be the one from the Cnq- and the O/P switch needs to be the Cinq one- the Punto one fouls the fan!!

pghstochaj said:
The 1242 8v is fine as it's SPI like the 1108, the 16v I believe is MPI - it uses a different ECU etc. to the 1108 hence needs a lot more work to be used. It is possible to use some of the parts (the hotter cam etc. Tom has done this (arse of box))

i know it possible to fit the 75 cam, but looks like paul was saying the 16v would fit :confused:

Back