Technical Motorbike engine conversion

Currently reading:
Technical Motorbike engine conversion

rpschesterfield

Hi ive just signed up and will likely be around for a while for advice ect. Ive just bought a 1997 ciquenento that im going to to put a bike engine in the back. Its looking like either a Kawasaki zx10r or zx12r. Im just looking for any advice i can get on what brake upgrades are available for the front i.e punto brakes or whatever as the rear will be converted so a solid axle and use the bike brakes
Also im looking for different options with suspension ideally coilovers on the front and springs and shocks on the rear and ive noticed fiat 500 wheels are the same pcd so has anyone used any on you cars and how do they fit?

Ive just finished a Kawasaki zx6r conversion in a quad bike and im building this fiat to run at santa pod when its finished just for shits and giggles and to give me something to do on a sunday when the weathers rubbish.

My current list of vehicles are as follows

03 impreza sti (478 bhp)
15 golf gtd (the mrs car)
15 yamaha raptor which ive turboed
14 quadzilla xlc with 600 ninja engine ive done
And now the ciquenento lol so as you can see i have no experience with little cars whatsoever so any help is massively appreciated and hopefully il get to know you all

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_074632217.jpg
    IMG_20230522_074632217.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 111
There was someone a long while back did a similar conversion on a Punto. They completed the project then posted a video online of themselves driving like an absolute psychopath on the public roads shortly after which they disappeared off the forum and the car appeared on eBay. (just a cautionary tale) but if you can find that old thread you might find some useful info.

Id say the standard Punto brakes are probably no better than the Cinq brakes, so maybe look at something more custom like a multi pot caliper, The abarth 500 had the option of brembo 4 pot calipers (ignore anything from the Punto abarth as the later grande and EVO cars used a vauxhall platform and wheel fitment).

Sounds like you've got a sound background in projects like this, so I don't doubt you'll find something suitable. Keep us posted with the build.

Im not the sort to drive Like a nutter on public roads this will purely be for santa pod and possibly to attempt the gymkhana style sprint races again track based but i will attempt to keep it road legal for convenience of committing to places, i cant really see me doing the weekly in Tesco in it but who knoes.thanks for the Punto brakes info il have a look at what i can muster up its going to be a month or so before i can get started so im just at the start of the research stage and making measurements so il cross a punto as a donor for the brakes off the list

I haven't if im honest il have a look. I can imagine the headaches involved in that build bieng a 4x4 it im honest im looking to stick to rwd for the fun that comes with it on the corners especially if i make it a solid rear axle but i can imagine his advice will be invaluable so il drop him a message and see if hes still around

Thanks alot

Its looking like either a Kawasaki zx10r or zx12r.

Why not a ZX12R in the back and a ZX10R in the front? 😅

The Seicento brakes are the same as the regular (base model) Punto brakes... so you might need a bit more brake power.. but I'd build it first and see what it's like; The regular brakes are good enough to lock the standard tyres, so "more brakes" isn't any use if the wheels/tyres aren't wider too.

Ralf S.

Morning bud,
As good as that sounds i am trying to work a budget of about 5k so i dont think it would stretch to that u fortunately haha i didnt realise it was a bank holiday this weekend so im planning on getting the engine and box and all the bits i dont need gone this weekend and then start on the front with the suspension and brakes and make some decisions on how im going to attack it as i cant start the bike engine in the back till after the summer as the price of bikes has gone sky high at the moment but im going to look and see of i can change the hubs to something that will accept better brakes from another car for example an golf gti or something again this is just an idea atm as i havent looked yet but if i did that then i can get some better wheels as id like to try and have them at least double the width as the ones on are like my mountin bike wheels haha
Once ive figured out how im gunna do it i can get some parts ordered and make a start. Everyone ive told so far in my friends circle has just laughed so its making me want to go as mental as possible haha

Morning bud,
As good as that sounds i am trying to work a budget of about 5k so i dont think it would stretch to that u fortunately haha i didnt realise it was a bank holiday this weekend so im planning on getting the engine and box and all the bits i dont need gone this weekend and then start on the front with the suspension and brakes and make some decisions on how im going to attack it as i cant start the bike engine in the back till after the summer as the price of bikes has gone sky high at the moment but im going to look and see of i can change the hubs to something that will accept better brakes from another car for example an golf gti or something again this is just an idea atm as i havent looked yet but if i did that then i can get some better wheels as id like to try and have them at least double the width as the ones on are like my mountin bike wheels haha
Once ive figured out how im gunna do it i can get some parts ordered and make a start. Everyone ive told so far in my friends circle has just laughed so its making me want to go as mental as possible haha

Look at Fiat 500 parts. I vaguely recall that the 1.4 petrol used disc brakes at the back and if so, then the standard Fiat parts are more likely to fit on the Seicento, since Fiat (like other manufacturers) use existing parts where they can, during the design of new cars and only design the new parts that they don't already have.. so there's times when completely random cars use the same bits (e.g. the 500 and Stilo anti-roll bar links are allegedly the same, Punto and Seicento discs are the same.. etc.). It can save you a lot of fabrication.

Ralf S.

Thats valuble info bud thanks alot i took the engine out today so hopefully this weekend i can get into measurements ect if the kids will let me of course

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_185113096.jpg
    IMG_20230526_185113096.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 40
Back