General 1200c 69hp (petrol, series 7) or the 1000cv 70hp (mild hybrid, series 8)

Currently reading:
General 1200c 69hp (petrol, series 7) or the 1000cv 70hp (mild hybrid, series 8)

andy1

1200c 69hp (only petrol, series 7) or the 1000c 70hp (mild hybrid, series 8)

tomorrow i have to buy a 500 but i don't know if the 1200c 69hp (only petrol, series 7) or the 1000cv 70hp (mild hybrid, series 8).

i come from a panda 1.3 multijet eleganza which i am going to miss a lot,
i just want to know which one of the two engines is better for performance? or less worse if you prefer.
to have a little fun sometimes, like a quick overtaking once in while...

i normally change gear around 2000-2500 rpm unless i have to overtake, i can get to 3000rpm then

Last edited:
Re: 1200c 69hp (only petrol, series 7) or the 1000c 70hp (mild hybrid, series 8)

i normally change gear around 2000-2500 rpm unless i have to overtake, i can get to 3000rpm then

There is probably little point comparing your current multijet to a future petrol car, the multijet will drive very different, it will seem to have more power because its power is delivered at much lower revs.

You’ll need much higher revs in the petrol to get moving.

I agree the hybrid is unnecessary complication unless you need it for a specific reason, it doesn’t really do a great deal anyway.

Having gone from a 105hp twin air to the mild hybrid . I can highly recommend not getting one, the Aux battery system just doesn’t do anything. Rated at 70hm even when compared against the 69hp 4 pot it’s a bag of crap.
Sorry to be so blunt
It's basically a improved start stop system the motor doesn't drive the car at all

Sorry to be so blunt

No apology needed - just tell it like it is.

IMO the mild hybrid 500 is a product of the marketing department, not engineering. If I were buying a new car tomorrow, the mild hybrid Fiats wouldn't even make it onto my long list.

Fiat's best is arguably the Euro4 1.2 Panda 169 from around 2010; the finest in what Fiat have traditionally been good at, which is cheap, basic but well engineered & reliable small cars.

Last edited:
Having gone from a 105hp twin air to the mild hybrid . I can highly recommend not getting one

I fully agree! It is why I abandoned FIAT. After 6 years I wanted to trade in my TA, but the 1.0 isn't a worthy successor. Why would anyone go voluntarily from 145 Nm at 1900 rpm to 92 Nm at 3500 rpm?

Having gone from a 105hp twin air to the mild hybrid . I can highly recommend not getting one, the Aux battery system just doesn’t do anything. Rated at 70hm even when compared against the 69hp 4 pot it’s a bag of crap.
Sorry to be so blunt

Isn’t that a bit like saying I’ve gone from a BMW M3 to a twin air , the twin air is a bag of crap ? Pre lock down (the first one) I had two test drives in a hybrid 500
and up to 50mph (didn’t go any faster) it felt the same as my old 1.2 500, the gearing is lower, so you change up sooner but it felt the about the same to drive.

If I was buying a 500 today I’d look for a preregistration 1.2 because as said it’s a known good engine, but maybe in the future having a hybrid badge on the car will be cheaper to go in city’s, even if it’s only a enhanced stop start, badged as a hybrid.

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated! :)

I have gone for the:
500 lounge 1.2 petrol+GPL euro 6d-temp, 0km, registered october 2020.
(I don't know about the UK but in Italy there are GPL stations everywhere)

my worry is how much it will feel different coming from a 1.3 Multijet euro 4,
not because of the 1.3 engine->1.2 engine but because of the euro4->euro6
(in the italian forum some people say that the 1.2 fire has become bad since euro6)

also, is this euro6 thing something that is enforced 100% electronically or mechanically too?
not that i want to change anything :)

Last edited:
GPL : LPG
Yes we have Liquified Petroleum Gas
Been in the UK @30 years

nice! wondering if refuelling stations are as common as in Italy?
I have only been 4 years in the UK but I never did drive there.
It would be nice to come back for an holiday with my car :D

You also have CNG.. we do not.. :eek:

the refuelling stations in Italy were never enough to be a viable option for most people.
and the current "hybrid" trend is probably killing it

Back