Technical 1.4 16v '08 Coolant Leak 'n' Pics

Currently reading:
Technical 1.4 16v '08 Coolant Leak 'n' Pics

gadb

Hello all,

Noticed my coolant goes down slowly and there's a damp patch on the drive when I move the car. Had the bonnet open and the battery out to investigate where that might be coming from and it appears to be just to the left of the battery. There's what appears to be a coolant pipe that's unsettlingly moist and some sort of sensor (coolant temp?), all coated in a telltale crusty pink frosting.

How do I find precisely what bit is weeping? Is there a usual suspect given age/model? How on earth do I get in there to fix it?

Many thanks for your help.
Best,
G.

Attachments

• Airbox and Battery Bay.png
    Airbox and Battery Bay.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 239
  • Leaky bit.png
    Leaky bit.png
    873.3 KB · Views: 85
Hi @gadb

Just be aware.. The 1.4 uses a different part to the more common 1.2

I believe yours has an extra hose

Look on shop4parts. For more information and a good idea on cost
Yeah, I noticed on the Love500 channel (YouTube) he'd got the 1.4 part for a 1.2 and it had an extra port that he had to block off. On my 1.4, it looks like this serves a return route to the coolant reservoir.

Had a look on shop4parts and they have the part, but the flawed original design with the plastic hose fitting that breaks (and has probably broken in my case). Will try and find one with the metal hose fitting and all necessary ports.

The two relevant hose clips look like they might be "one time use" affairs - don't appear to have a release mechanism. The large is about 38mm diam and the small about 22mm. Will get some bog standard flat/hex head replacements.

The new thermostat will probably have much better plastic so wouldn't worry, my Mazda ones body is entirely plastic, the body has never failed(the internals 3 times)
Here's a all metal one

Had a look on shop4parts and they had the original, which I probably would have bought, however my account has somehow become corrupted and their technical support is essentially "works for me <close-bug-as-not-an-issue>" and I've literally had it with them.

Bought an aftermarket part off eBay (NAPA) which has the return port and is entirely metal. Not sure how good this brand is - haven't encountered them before.
New Part.png

I've taken the housing out now. Worst part was struggling with the hose clamps - they're all throw away types and in my case the fasteners are all facing down and towards the cabin, meaning they're difficult to release in a "nice" way. Resorted to my Dremel and cutting wheel <cringe> and supreme clenching, trying not to damage the hoses. Unsurprisingly, when I got the housing out, it was indeed the plastic hose insert that had snapped. I'll be using stock hex head hose clamps when I put everything back, being super careful not to overtighten.
Snapped Plastic.png

Another big pain with this job is getting the cables out of the way. There's a metal bracket with three nuts that all the cables are clipped to. I found undoing those nuts (they look like aluminium) and pulling the bracket away from the side of the engine gives better access and means you don't have to fiddle with all the latching plastic clips. The thermostat itself has one of those "slide back" yellow clips that once unlocked, allows a latch to rise up over a tooth so you can disconnect the thermostat. Mine was a bit of a struggle to disconnect.
Wiring Bracket Bolts.png

There appears to be no bleed valve anywhere I can see on my 1.4, however, the extra return (to reservoir) pipe has a click fitting (with a button) that can be disconnected without removing the hose clamp (sadly, I was over eager with the dremel before I realised this). I suspect this is the way you're supposed to bleed the system, but that's just a hunch.

EDIT: Nope, this click fitting is just convenience. The system will bleed itself into the header tank once the engine is running, although you need to recheck coolant levels and top up if necessary.

Coolant Return Pipe (and Bleed Mechanism?).png

No silicon residue was evident when I removed mine so I won't be using any when I put the new one on. There's an inlaid rubber gasket that can hopefully create the seal.
Engine with Housing Removed.png

Last edited:
I only used the rubber gasket as well and the Panda (new owner is still in touch with me) is still going strong. Bleeding goes automatically when warming up. Think I topped it up with about half a litre after it ran till the fan came on.

gr J
Yep, think you're right. I left the return pipe disconnected while refilling and coolant started pee'ing out before I'd got anywhere near 'Min'. Connected it back up and when I started the engine, I noticed some sputtering coming from the return hose back into the header tank (which I guess was air in the system). Will keep my eyes on the levels and top up.

Here's a gratuitous pic of those ugly screwfix hose clamps, in situ (return pipe and thermostat disconnected in photo).

All Done.png

Back