Technical 1.2 8v to a HGT front axle swap

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 8v to a HGT front axle swap

I wouldnt bother with a front axle - it'll upset the suspension cambers etc etc

So if your after the bigger brakes, get the calipers - Put new pads and discs on

Dont put a HGT rear axle on an 8v, as the arse will overtake you happily
As the HGT rear brakes are an 8v's front brakes (failing that - just drive in reverse)

Ziggy

I wouldnt bother with a front axle - it'll upset the suspension cambers etc etc

So if your after the bigger brakes, get the calipers - Put new pads and discs on

Dont put a HGT rear axle on an 8v, as the arse will overtake you happily
As the HGT rear brakes are an 8v's front brakes (failing that - just drive in reverse)

Ziggy

The HGT/JTD front hubs are different to the 8v/16v ones and AFAIK the calipers (and carriers) are not interchangable. The extra axle weight of the JTD/HGT needs different geometry and spring rates to account for it.

It's worth it if you get more feel/control. But better tyres are pretty much a must.

only time i struggled with poor brakes is when i was
loaded up
Rear drums werent working correctly
i was doing alot of braking
the brakes were cooking at a high roasting temperature and required alot more pedal effort to stop

That was the only time i struggled to lock up - but i was at that point suffering from brake fade

Ziggy

One day I'll let you try one of my Centos with GT3 front brakes (and 195/45 tyres) -- they're ridiculously good. ;)

yeh but a cento would go in the boot of a punto:D
to be honest with big brakes and bicycle tyres i would have thought it would be a bunny hopper rather than a get down and get with it

Back