General Your Best Average MPG On a Run 0.9 Twinair Turbo

Currently reading:
General Your Best Average MPG On a Run 0.9 Twinair Turbo

TA Waze 4x4 [90] Actually its 83 BHP as no 90 HP engines were ever fitted to UK Waze cars...

But I did 57.6 from Manchester to Norwich last week and saw instant MPG readings of Nil for quite a few miles. I tucked up behind a Veg firms HGV going this way and keeping him about 100 yards ahead kept my mpg over 70 for at least 50 miles. Even after some local running its still showing 55, so these things can be coaxed to economy. Its only better in eco mode below 45mph or so. I switch this off if there is a head wind or gradient. Eco does save a little juice in town.... but its just a bit boring. AT 60 its of no use at all. Seems a bit pointless. Just make the cars less powerful or for us drive them slower and economy will improve.

Generally mine does 43.5, exactly the same as my Panda 100. But if driven hard its quite easy to see it sink to single figures eco on or not.

I'm doing full tank comparisons of ECO on versus off.

Sad to say, ECO does make a difference of several MPG. Sad because it robs the car of all its personality!

Try eco off with a light foot and put eco on on down hills and in town.

I think this car has the most ****** up fuel maps on the planet, and after 5 years I still cannot decide whats best. Going through average speed cameras on the A17 I use eco to stop the speed creeping up. That seems to be its only useful function. It does also help on 5 mile trips through our local lanes to the shops.

I thought I might resurrect this thread given the fuel availability problems in some parts of the UK.

I decided to see what my 2012 Twinair 4x4 could really do on my thrice weekly 90 odd mile commute.
My previous best had been around the 50mpg mark but imagine my surprise when with a little effort I managed to achieve the heady heights of an indicated 60mpg
Some **** traffic has seen it drop to 55mpg after day two but quietly quite pleased.

Spike
This is the thing with the TwinAir - it is capable of really good economy, but you’d have to try hard to get it. Once you learn the techniques, though, 50mpg is fairly easily reproducible and in excess is on the cards fairly readily if you ‘switch’ to the right mental approach.

This is the thing with the TwinAir - it is capable of really good economy, but you’d have to try hard to get it. Once you learn the techniques, though, 50mpg is fairly easily reproducible and in excess is on the cards fairly readily if you ‘switch’ to the right mental approach.

I agree, I'm nearly 3k miles in and I'm still learning how to drive it. Now I'm at the point where the early upshifts don't worry me, they did at first, I thought no way can that be right but it is.

Spike

The easiest way to boost MPG in a Twinair is to fill up with Vpower.

ECO mode does deliver an improvement in economy but it always feels like you’re towing a skip behind you. Makes an otherwise delightful little car absolutely hateful.

I think you have it here. As with all ecomomy driving keeping the revs low is a key issue and just following the indicators helps. This engine revs so easily and sounds like its running slower than it is.

May be we should have an Twin air economy run some day?

The advice I was given is "Ignore the vibrations and drive it like a diesel"

Well on a mad dash from the garage to home a few weeks back I am embarrassed to admit to 7.3 over 5 miles...

Mmmm... challenge accepted!

(But not until the queues at the filling stations subside. Until then, my right foot will be tickling the accelerator like it's made of gossamer)

Just my input on the 2013 4x4 Twinair I had for 12 days lol...

First tank was 49 mpg mainly motorway doing average 60mph, normal unleaded (computer showed about 44.5 mpg)
Second tank was 41 mpg on a mix of motorway at 60 and city driving, normal unleaded
Never did a 3rd tank but driving the car on mainly motorway at 70mph it was showing 37 mpg on the computer using super unleaded

Sadly, I will never have the discipline to go for maximum economy - my 96k 2013 TA 4x4 gets the heavy leads boot treatment here in hilly Mid Wales. The economy isn't scintillating but it is a hoot to drive and the mini road rocket performance surprises a fair few unsuspecting motorists.
I'm perfectly happy with mid to high 30's mpg (a massive improvement on the 16-22mpg of a 3.7L Cherokee!).

When I got my 4x4 TA I zeroed the "B" Trip and tonight I crossed the 10k miles mark, in a little over 7 months 😱.
Average indicated MPG on that is 46.6. Not too bad, mostly long trips, 50 miles, and mostly motorway.

Spike

Attachments

• IMG20220407191755.jpg
    IMG20220407191755.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG20220407191858.jpg
    IMG20220407191858.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
For probably the 2nd time in 65,000 miles my twinair is on 'rocketfuel'

Driving to work..then MOT station Tesco were sold out of everything other than E5/99RON

NOT running any better in my book.. but will get a 119mile A road trip tomorrow.. so mpg might be interesting (will have to be 60 to be classed as an improvement..)

They are both 2013 spec 85bhp Twinairs..
But the panda seems ashtmatically muted by comparison

I do recall how feeble the Punto was when brand new.. and gains were still being felt after the 20k mark.. and the panda is still on 19k.. so Ive not given up..
I have h

For probably the 2nd time in 65,000 miles my twinair is on 'rocketfuel'Driving to work..then MOT station Tesco were sold out of everything other than E5/99RON NOT running any better in my book.. but will get a 119mile A road trip tomorrow.. so mpg might be interesting (will have to be 60 to be classed as an improvement..)

I don’t use anything other than Vpower. The best MPG I’ve achieved to date has been an indicated 56 on 150 mile motorway run last month. That was with ECO off, but AC on. With ECO on I reckon I might have nudged 60. Car has 9000 miles on it.

I’ve posted before that that Vpower does deliver a meaningful enough boost to MPG to justify the price difference; more importantly the car just runs so much more happily on it. With a few more miles on the car since the last time I commented, I now find ECO mode — which was previously unusable — is tolerable on it.

Back