General You can't get _______ than a KwikFit fitter

Currently reading:
General You can't get _______ than a KwikFit fitter

Just a sorry MoT tale, with a 'happy' ending (actually more of a neutral one). I realised my MoT was due the day before, so I booked it at KF, not too far from where I live. I won't do that again.

To give the short version, it failed on towbar electrics (new) so I had a fitter come out at 8pm, when he established that nothing was wrong. Although the towbar was under warranty, I had to pay for the call-out since there was no fault (fair enough). Then it passed the re-test next day. I was offered no explanation or curiosity by the KF manager. I subsequently learned from the DVSA that an MoT test station doesn't have to use a certified test rig for this test, so that's where my curiosity goes.

Anyway, I complained to KF customer services and two months later, after an email prompt, they phoned me back and agreed to refund the £80 call-out fee.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 39
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 36
Heh, now there's a tale which echoes down through the ages, I still remember KwikFit failing my dad's car on it's exhaust in the early 80s. He laughed and presented them with the receipt - the very same KwikFit branch had fitted a brand new stainless exhaust to his Allegro the week before :bang:

Wow, didn't know towbar socket check was even testable?

I've had a trusty 940 Volvo estate (as a tow car) for probably 20 years and have never seen the socket tested (it's a 97 car).

I fitted a towbar to the Panda 4x4 and again never seen it tested... And I usually hang around at the MOT test since it's a rare opportunity to have a good, unfettered, look at the underside.

Surely its the driver's responsibility to check any attached trailer (or lightboard) functionality when attached; with nothing attached (and faulty) the socket causes no harm??

I guess I just learned something.

with nothing attached (and faulty) the socket causes no harm??

You'd think. Mind you, it reminds me of failing a bike MOT 'cos I had an indicator switch and no indicators. Apparently if it has the switch, it has to work. Presumably this is in case you forget you don't have indicators and expect them to be indicating!

If you read the test description it's fine if you disable the connector or the towbar in a way that clearly can't be used. Mine is removable, but that doesn't count unless I destroy the connector so it can't be re-attached :(

P.S. Apparently it's well-known that some socket testers are dodgy.

Attachments

• dvsa.JPG
    dvsa.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 30
Hi

I have a Panda Cross no towbar, and I recently had one fitted To my Peugeot Partner Tepee for a Thule Bike Rack
Vehicle has standard Reverse Sensors and Rear Camera, so I specifically asked for a Vehicle Specific wiring kit that disengages the Rear Sensors when Towbar is in use

All fitted by a local reputable company

6 months later after no issues car needed to go into Peugeot for service and a warranty repair, a failed Reverse Sensor (that I hoped wasn’t caused by Towbar Wiring )

Anyway it needed a MOT so I asked them to do everything

Reverse sensor was a unit failure, Warranty

But car failed MOT, they took great pleasure in telling me it was the Towbar Wiring and sent me a little Vid of them testing the socket and their machine failing it

Took it back to Towbar company, told them electrics work on Thule Rack, but it failed the MOT, their answer was the testing Machine only uses a tiny current ( or something like that) so they added a little resister, total pain in the arse, car went back and passed the MOT
Nothing actually wrong with wiring, just a very sensitive Testing tool

That was my similar experience

Last edited:
Nothing actually wrong with wiring, just a very sensitive Testing tool

That was my similar experience

It's a disgrace that you can't just turn up with the trailer or bike rack fitted and show the lights working. Double insult if it's actually a problem with the test hardware. The DSVA man told me they can test it with the same kind of consumer lightboard you're likely to buy from Halfords anyway, there's no rule they have to have a fancy tester.

When my car failed, I turned up with bike rack fitted to Towbar, left car and rack at garage, rode my bike home, so they are only interested in using their machine, not that the wiring actually works in the real and, and happy to make a smug video telling me my vehicle had failed
Then trip back to Towbar centre, leave vehicle
Another trip back to garage
Total waste of my time

Last edited:
When my car failed, I turned up with bike rack fitted to Towbar, left car and rack at garage, rode my bike home, so they are only interested in using their machine, not the the wiring actually works in the real and, and happy to make a smug video telling me my vehicle had failed
Then trip back to Towbar centre, leave vehicle
Another trip back to garage
Total waste of my time

I took my rack too. The guy told me I had to unplug it as they weren't allowed to, and if I didn't they couldn't MoT it.

I don't suppose sticking a 13-pin to 7-pin adapter on would make them leave it alone :cool:

It's a disgrace that you can't just turn up with the trailer or bike rack fitted and show the lights working. Double insult if it's actually a problem with the test hardware. The DSVA man told me they can test it with the same kind of consumer lightboard you're likely to buy from Halfords anyway, there's no rule they have to have a fancy tester.
Dvsa man needs to read the rules
They can not use a consumer device to test the socket on official approved devices

pin Euro-socket
On vehicles fitted with a trailer 13 pin Euro-socket, use an approved device to check that the socket is wired to correctly operate the trailer:

position lamps
stop lamps
direction indicators
Some 13-pin test tools may continually flicker when plugged into the socket of a vehicle that uses controller area network bus (CANbus) systems.

Where this happens, it generally indicates that there’s continuity at each pin on the vehicle’s socket. When the lamps are operated in turn you will usually see that each individual LED will function correctly.

Provided the self-test facility on your tester does not show any faults, then you should pass the socket test.

Defect Category
(a) A trailer electrical socket:

(i) insecure
(ii) likely to become detached

Minor
Major
(b) Trailer electrical socket wiring:

(i) insulation damaged or deteriorated
(ii) insulation damaged or deteriorated and likely to cause a short-circuit

Minor
Major
(c) A 13-pin trailer socket: