XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 1 - anyone?

Currently reading:
XP Service Pack 3 Release Candidate 1 - anyone?

Anyone installed the above yet?

I decided to give it a go today, having heard a few good things about. However, no visual differences that I can see so it is probably more performance enhancing....

Granted, it is still RC1, and full not due out to next year, but meh.

SP3RC1 is bascially just a collection of all the hundreds of small fixes that i've already downloaded individually over the last few years. i can see no changes to my desktop. definately no new features.

i installed it because i heard it improved performance a lot, but i cant tell the difference.

in system properties it now says service pack 3, v.3244
is yours the same version?

Last edited:
Dunno, lets have a look :eek:

As you rightly said, no new features at all, just the improved performance intrigued me...

Ok, just had a look - same as you.

I got mine by running a batch file that changed your registry - this allowed it to be picked up via Windows Update.

BUT if you Google it, I have seen a few places that you can download it from.

If you are interested, put this into Notepad:

@echo off
reg delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\XPSP3 /f 2> NUL
reg add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\XPSP3 /v RCPreview /t REG_SZ /d 1c667073-b87f-4f52-a479-98c85711d869 /f
echo XPSP3 registry key has been set. Please check for updates in Windows Update.

Then save it as SP3.bat - then run it - then Windows Update.

Just came on to ask this and found this thread. MS have it for download here. Busy installing now - I'm not bothered about looks (still run the old windows 'look' for that reason) but will be pleased if it makes things run more efficiently and with fewer problems (y)

Let us know please how you get on Helz! I've got XP with SP2 and am quite happy with it, though anything to speed it up would be great. Not interested in a different look/ front end, just more efficiency would be nice. And though it's relatively stable making it even more solid would be even better (y)

By OE do you mean Outlook express?

What does it change in it? I use mine for checking hotmail, and i no Outlook on vista doesnt allow that.

Back