XP and dual (etc) core?

Currently reading:
XP and dual (etc) core?

All my serious (and most of my non serious) computing is on a couple of Linux boxes.

But I have an ancient, decrepit and free P3 running on XP SP3. It's painfully slow, but I need some version of Windows to run the FIAT manuals (at least, until I use ghostscript to reformat them) and I want to learn CAD -- not that there are no CAD programs for Linux, but they're not ones you'd want to learn on.

So, plan is, get new box, put my copy of XP SP3 on, et viola.

But, new box will be dual core (of some description) and I know that earlier versions of XP wouldn't run on dual core: at least, that's my assessment after trying to install an early version on a mate's broken Vista box.

Is it possible?

I assumed all versions of XP worked with dual core, I've had XP on my computer since sp2 without any problems at all. I've also put XP on a few dual/quad core PC's in sp3 form without any problems.

You may as well give it a go, if worst comes to the worst and for some reason it wont run I guess you could borrow a newer copy and use your product key? Or obtain a new copy from the interwebs :devil:

Back