General Write off??

Currently reading:
General Write off??

Harrysmom

My daughter's 500 lounge was hot wired and driven carelessly up a blind bend the wrong way up a one way street.
They have found it and state it's 'just been hotwired with a broken window'
Bearing in mind 3/4 scroats street seen in it she doesn't want it back, fears it may be more damaged than that say.
Just wondering how much work a 2015 500 would take to write it off which is what she wants.

My daughter's 500 lounge was hot wired and driven carelessly up a blind bend the wrong way up a one way street.
They have found it and state it's 'just been hotwired with a broken window'
Bearing in mind 3/4 scroats street seen in it she doesn't want it back, fears it may be more damaged than that say.
Just wondering how much work a 2015 500 would take to write it off which is what she wants.
Just a thought, have you heard it running since theft as they often "scream the t*ts of them" and cause further engine / clutch/ gearbox, damage etc.? Hence the saying "drive it like you stole it!":(

No it's being assessed next week, that's why I'm asking if anyone knows if it's hot wired week they write it off due to the electrical components?

No it's being assessed next week, that's why I'm asking if anyone knows if it's hot wired week they write it off due to the electrical components?
It depends on what damage they find, however I would point out if written off by insurance company they are notoriously mean on value of payout and unless protected policy daughter may find her premium rockets next time even though not her fault.
It may be an idea to get professional advice before excepting a offer from insurance company and if they take it away you lose all control of the situation.:(

It depends on what damage they find, however I would point out if written off by insurance company they are notoriously mean on value of payout and unless protected policy daughter may find her premium rockets next time even though not her fault.
It may be an idea to get professional advice before excepting a offer from insurance company and if they take it away you lose all control of the situation.:(
She doesn't have a choice, the police have taken it and then it's collected by her insurance company.
Yes her premiums will sky rocket due to no fault of her own.
She had another car wrote off two years ago the offer was good (again not her fault someone drove into the side of her) and now this, not lucky with cars!

She doesn't have a choice, the police have taken it and then it's collected by her insurance company.
Yes her premiums will sky rocket due to no fault of her own.
She had another car wrote off two years ago the offer was good (again not her fault someone drove into the side of her) and now this, not lucky with cars!
What often happens is the Police get it towed to their "approved " recovery yard who then bill the insurance company for storage before it is collected or disposed of.
Some years ago I had a motorcycle stolen from my property, it wasn't in use so not insured, many months later I located it and the police went around the next day and discovered several stolen bikes, collected them and put them into a storage facility, I found out that if I didn't collect the remains of my bike as it had been cut up /destroyed I would be billed for it and to add insult to injury about a year later I found out the Police had decided along with the CPS no further action, so a total waste of time. It turned out later the people involved had a history of stealing pedal bikes and had gone on to Motorbikes, who knows where they have got now! A pity they were not stopped at the first offense before they progressed.:mad:

Once they have assessed it you’ll know for sure what the damage is, it could have other bumps dings and dents and it could have other damage to the interior.

What I would say is once you have a figure, talk to the insurance company. When I hit a dear in my Punto the repair costs where pretty much the same as the value of the car and the insurance company were happy either way to repair it or cut me a cheque and scrap it, so I asked for it to be scrapped and they sent me the money that day and collected the car a few days later.

I don’t think anyone can really answer your question anymore than you can without seeing the car or the extent of any damage

Once they have assessed it you’ll know for sure what the damage is, it could have other bumps dings and dents and it could have other damage to the interior.

What I would say is once you have a figure, talk to the insurance company. When I hit a dear in my Punto the repair costs where pretty much the same as the value of the car and the insurance company were happy either way to repair it or cut me a cheque and scrap it, so I asked for it to be scrapped and they sent me the money that day and collected the car a few days later.

I don’t think anyone can really answer your question anymore than you can without seeing the car or the extent of any damage
Thanks, yes you're right.
We'll have to wait and see.

Not much.

The problem is finding a comparable car for the settlement they're likely to offer.

But I'd agree that writing it off and starting again is probably the best way forward.

Who knows how much hidden damage they've done to the mechanicals.

Whatever, I hope your daughter gets the result she is hoping for.

Yes it's going to cost her whatever, but mostly the insurance.
She had her renewal through and it's double, at 28 with 5 years no claims (well she has one now) you'd think it would be getting better.
Unsure now if that 5 goes to 4 but because it's protected I assume not?
I feel for her as someone wrote off her car two years ago and we were in the position of finding more cash then.
Trouble is she needs a car.no public transport.

Yes it's going to cost her whatever, but mostly the insurance.
She had her renewal through and it's double, at 28 with 5 years no claims (well she has one now) you'd think it would be getting better.
Unsure now if that 5 goes to 4 but because it's protected I assume not?
I feel for her as someone wrote off her car two years ago and we were in the position of finding more cash then.
Trouble is she needs a car.no public transport.
So her next car needs to be cheap to buy and insure, plus one that they can't steal or do not want to steal.:(

Do you have any idea how they had bypassed the immobiliser? I know there used to be a way pressing pedals in a certain way with the key in the barrel the older cars would fire up.....one of the reasons why Ive turned off keyless entry on my Ford is due to just how easy they can be to open with a laptop

Her current car was just this! Who makes it even more difficult, anyway why shouldn't she have the car she wants?

They can now bypass the immobiliser...
How?

Usually you have an encryption system between key and immobiliser then immobilisr and ecu.
I'm sure you can get tools to bypass it (hack in or brute force), but unlikely to be had by joyriders.

You'd be surprised....no car is safe
Upping the security on her next one with a high spec steering lock, alarm, dash cam and CCTV...

Back