General Write off??

Currently reading:
General Write off??

Once they have assessed it you’ll know for sure what the damage is, it could have other bumps dings and dents and it could have other damage to the interior.

What I would say is once you have a figure, talk to the insurance company. When I hit a dear in my Punto the repair costs where pretty much the same as the value of the car and the insurance company were happy either way to repair it or cut me a cheque and scrap it, so I asked for it to be scrapped and they sent me the money that day and collected the car a few days later.

I don’t think anyone can really answer your question anymore than you can without seeing the car or the extent of any damage
Point out that it was immaculate and demand every single scratch be fixed. I do detailed condition surveys of mine for this exact reason.

This is the thing, what if she was to Keep it and then it developed an issue say two months later and how on earth can they check for the kind of damage done to it.

Also thinking of when she trades it in they'll wonder why it's another fiat, maybe even older .. because it'll be so she can afford and if that know it's been stolen surely they'll reduce their trade in price to her.

It was immaculate, fully serviced so well looked after but where (other than paper work) is the evidence it was lovingly cared for.
She had personalised it inside with fancy mats flowers the usual girly things...plus things she'll have to replace like an expensive phone holder, charger adapter etc etc

Last edited:
plus things she'll have to replace like an expensive phone holder, charger adapter etc etc
Check the terms of the policy to find out what's covered; you may be able to claim up to a certain limit for contents stolen with the car.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 084417.png

Apparently she has to have actual receipts for everything, unfortunately the first CD she bought doesn't come under this not much else really...
And who's to say what's been taken when it was in storage etc?

*update*
She received a letter dated Monday yesterday saying her car is 'likely beyond economic repair ', despite her calling every day this week it seems no one is communicating, we are going to call the insurance company today try to get some answers.
She's also not heard a peep from the police.

She's also not heard a peep from the police.
That's unsurprising.
She received a letter dated Monday yesterday saying her car is 'likely beyond economic repair ', despite her calling every day this week it seems no one is communicating, we are going to call the insurance company today try to get some answers.
Ok that's also unsurprising. Even very lightly damaged stolen recovered cars these days seem to get written off by the insurers. They can recover a fair proportion of what they'll pay out to you by selling the salvage.

At some point, they'll make you a settlement offer for the market value of the car. You might have to send them the vehicle's service history and the second key, as without these, the market value will be less. But wait until asked; just have them to hand for now.

The collective experience of the forum is that you may be able to get them to increase their first offer, but don't expect a great deal from this, perhaps a couple of hundred pounds or so.

Has she currently got a replacement hire car? If so, then once they have made a settlement offer, you'll need to return it, perhaps after a short grace period.

I'm preparing by looking at prices on auto trader, no hire car they wouldn't let her have one. Being younger it was an added extra she couldn't afford.
Dreading their offer it's going to mean more money whatever...

Dreading their offer it's going to mean more money whatever
It might not be as bad as you think, though you're right in saying it's unlikely to be as much as the advertised price of a similar car on autotrader.

If I had to pick a number out of the air, I'd say they'll offer you somewhere in the region of £5500.

But I hope it's more than that.

And just in case you're interested, this is a picture of the kind of damage that would result in a car of similar age and value to your daughter's being written off by an insurance company.

Salvage 500L.jpg

Well, I'm sure someone is making a tidy little profit from these write offs....such a shame it was immaculate before someone trashed it. Someone's going to get a bargain with it's low mileage and fsh.
It's odd but everyone I speak to find it hard to believe anyone would want to steal Fiat 500!

Someone's going to get a bargain with it's low mileage and fsh
You could buy it back from the insurers and repair it.

But I'd only recommend doing this if

1) your daughter wants to keep the car
2) you, or someone you know and trust, is able to do most or all of any necessary repairs
3) you are prepared to take the risk that the car may have been damaged mechanically by whoever stole it
4) you're planning to keep it for a long time, since written off cars aren't easy to sell and are worth less.

In your case, I'd say it's probably best just to cut your losses and move on.

Totally agree.
Just a shame that this car was bought to replace her previous write off, she doesn't have much luck!

And just in case you're interested, this is a picture of the kind of damage that would result in a car of similar age and value to your daughter's being written off by an insurance company.

View attachment 440119

Don’t know about that my wife had a front end bump (her fault) back in 2021, her car was a 2016 Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.0 litre and the insurer spent £6700 repairing it, frankly I was amazed at the time then last December the same car which my son now owns was involved in another crash only this time someone ran into him and it’s just been repaired again by the insurance company no idea what they spent on it but it needed quite a bit of work including a new rear wheel and tyre and various bits of repainting to the back panels.

I’m pretty sure my son said the insurance company have valued the car at £8500.

Well, I'm sure someone is making a tidy little profit from these write offs....such a shame it was immaculate before someone trashed it. Someone's going to get a bargain with it's low mileage and fsh.
It's odd but everyone I speak to find it hard to believe anyone would want to steal Fiat 500!
To be clear, you haven't seen the car, but if I read the thread correctly, it's a smashed window, and 'hotwiring'*, and the thief/ves was driving it shortly afterwards when apprehended.

If the emotional tie to the car is severed, move on, but the price for you to buy it might be very attractive, so don't rule it out. Electrical systems are easy to check using diagnostic kit, and of course a window's easy-peasy, as is hoovering out the glass.

*Which is what people used to do in the olden days - now it's more virtual/electronic, AIUI, so things haven't necessarily been damaged.

View attachment 440119
My Punto was "uneconomical to repair" when I phoned them up and said I didn't want the car back, they said the work would be £1400 the car was worth somewhere around £1400 so once all was said and done it could have gone either way. The damage to the are visibly was even less than the damage shown in your picture.

My Punto was "uneconomical to repair" when I phoned them up and said I didn't want the car back, they said the work would be £1400 the car was worth somewhere around £1400 so once all was said and done it could have gone either way.
Insurance companies will often write cars off even when the cost of the repair is significantly less than the market value of the car.

From their perspective, they want to minimise the total cost of settling the claim. A significant element in the cost equation is the scrap value of the salvage, which can be considerable, particularly if the car is only lightly damaged. Another consideration is that if they scrap the car, the insurance is terminated at that point, and they will have no further liability; if they repair it, the insurance runs until the end of the term. Not wanting to continue to insure a driver who's just had an accident can also push them toward a writeoff.

If they scrap the car, they'll get the salvage value, the value of the remaining term of the policy, plus the notional value of not having to insure a driver who is now a higher insurance risk. If they repair it, they don't get any of that.

Back