Technical Wiring for aftermarket side marker lights

Currently reading:
Technical Wiring for aftermarket side marker lights

lycopersicum

Hello everyone,

I have a 2013 Ducato L2H2 panel van that I'm converting to a camper. I'd like to install LED side marker lights just ahead of the rear wheels, because I can't see anything on the side of the car when I'm maneuvering in complete darkness.

What's the simplest safe/legal way to wire them up? Can I splice them off the wiring for the rear position lights or do I have to use the coachbuilder's socket? Would I need to use a relay in that case?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2013 Ducato L2H2 panel van that I'm converting to a camper. I'd like to install LED side marker lights just ahead of the rear wheels, because I can't see anything on the side of the car when I'm maneuvering in complete darkness.

What's the simplest safe/legal way to wire them up? Can I splice them off the wiring for the rear position lights or do I have to use the coachbuilder's socket? Would I need to use a relay in that case?
The problem with wiring them into the existing lights is the body computer measures the wattage, and if its outside set limits the computer thinks there is a fault and turns off the lights. You could try it and see what happens. If computer says No you might be able to replace an existing bulb with an led bulb to bring the total wattage back down to a level the computer will accept. Failing that you could connect the new lights through a relay activated by the supply to the existing lights.

+1 to Reg 65 comments.

If led markers are just "simple" leds then just test by hooking up to a rear light and turning on for a good while ......If the body computer detects too much current in the circuit it will switch that circuit off . Body computer resets the circuit next time vehicle turned off and on.

Hi

An LED side marker light will typically draw 0.05 to 0.10 Amps (0.6 to 1.2 Watts at 12 Volts). This is quite small compared to the conventional tungsten bulbs, so it is likely that the Body Computer will not flag a fault.

I suggest you wire them up temporarily and check that all is OK before you drill holes and fit permanently.

If you have a coachbuilders socket, and you want to wire in the "definitive" manner, then section 4 and following of the manual available in the downloads section of the forum at:

gives the method. Yes, for this you will need a relay, and note that the relay switching connection from the converters socket pin 11 goes to ground when the lights are on.

(as above, you might get away with adding a low-wattage led into the existing circuit(s) but it isn't guaranteed)

An alternative is to use a relay. Live from the battery to relay from relay to the marker lghts and then to earth. The switch side of the relay take the live from from the side lamp live feed wire feed. Using the exisiting side light wiring as a switch circuit for the relay. This feed takes no appreciable current and will not upset any can bus systems. Downside is you will need quite a lot of wire and will have to route this through or under the vehicle. A rough wiring diagram that shows how is in the fitting fog lamps guide Panda 169.

Back