General Wiring a towbar.

Currently reading:
General Wiring a towbar.

jmee54

Hi all, I have a 2009 fiat 500 pop to which we had a towbar fitted. It has became necessary for us to say goodbye to this car and we've replaced it with a 2016 Lounge.

I want to transfer the towbar to the newer car. The fastenings seem pretty straight forward, albeit nicely rusted and probably willing to put up a fight, but it is the wiring that I am not sure about.
I haven't investigated it yet, but is there anything I need to know or is it also a straight forward swap. I am concerned that there may be some sort of electronic jiggery pokery needed to appease the wiring gods.
All of this computer driven stuff I find a little confusing - canbus, what is it and will it affect my endeavors?

Cheers John

Yes agree with chris 3234. Its known as a 7 way relay. if you take the wires and relay from your current car there is no reason you cannot put this into the new one. You may need a new connector to join the ends of your relay wires to the cars wiring. If you use a 7 way connector, buy the fitting tool as without it you will have trouble getting the connections to work. I always soldre the connections, you know they will not come apart and that they will work. The relay takes power direct from the battery and uses the cars can bus wiring as signal wires which have almost no current draw themselves allowing towbar to be wired with no ill effects to the car. There is plenty of good info available on the internet on how to do it and good circuit diagrams. I will look out the wiring diagrams for socket connection and up load them here in the next few days.

Thank you both.
I have uploaded details of wiring 7 and 13 pin sockets, 7 way bypass relay, straight relay 7 way and trouble shooting 7 way relays into the micesllaneous section downloads. This will hopefully be apporved and published in the next 28hours. I recommend Haynes Tpwing, trailer and Caravan manuals. These are comprehensive and give a lot of useful information that you would find helpful. Feel free to pm me on here if you have any issues you would like a second opinion on. Apologies for the delay uploading.
ECS towing have a helpful web site and Ryder towing site is A1 too.

Last edited:
I have uploaded details of wiring 7 and 13 pin sockets, 7 way bypass relay, straight relay 7 way and trouble shooting 7 way relays into the micesllaneous section downloads. This will hopefully be apporved and published in the next 28hours. I recommend Haynes Tpwing, trailer and Caravan manuals. These are comprehensive and give a lot of useful information that you would find helpful. Feel free to pm me on here if you have any issues you would like a second opinion on. Apologies for the delay uploading.
ECS towing have a helpful web site and Ryder towing site is A1 too.
Hi, Thank you! Where would I find these? Cheers John.

Downloads tab (above) then the categories menu then selct miscellaneous. Curreently they are at the top as the newest uploaded things
Hi again. I go there, I click on the topic, but there is nothing in the post! Confused John.

Hi again. I go there, I click on the topic, but there is nothing in the post! Confused John.
It works for me click on the post(s) and you should see a download button right side half way ddown the scren shot, which should get yu to the documents which are photos of some stuff I have collected over a lot of years.

Back