Technical Tailgate wiring

Currently reading:
Technical Tailgate wiring

PT500

Hello all. New here with a 2011 Twin Air Lounge. It has the ubiquitous tail gate wiring breaks. I'm reasonably good with spanners etc and it doesn't concern me that this needs doing. I'm wondering if it is possible to source the elephant trunk grommet as a solo item or is the only supply with one of the ebay/amazon kits. All suggestions, serious or humorous are welcome!

Hello all. New here with a 2011 Twin Air Lounge. It has the ubiquitous tail gate wiring breaks. I'm reasonably good with spanners etc and it doesn't concern me that this needs doing. I'm wondering if it is possible to source the elephant trunk grommet as a solo item or is the only supply with one of the ebay/amazon kits. All suggestions, serious or humorous are welcome!

Hi :)

Search
'Maybelline' on here

That thread covers lots about this task ;)

The wires a break at the same point a longer section usually in the flexi and a short part near where it exits.
How I fixed ours was solder a new piece of "silicone covered test meter cable dont use normal wire" to the long bit and pull through so the old longer part comes out, now solder to the other broken end heat shrink on both, repete for all wires regardless if broken or not, do one at a time can get hard to pull through some spray lubricant may help, I used all the same colour red for every wire ok if you do it methodically. 5a cable more than enough for all but 2
The two thick heated rear screen wires could give you a problem I didn't do these stupid me the earth broke a year or so later, for ease I ran the new wire on the outside of the flexi poking it through a hole at the flexi ends I made.

I have failed to source a new "elephant trunk" so, capitulated and ordered one of them there repair kits. Ordered on Tuesday evening and only despatched yesterday. Pretty poor response I'd say...................

I have failed to source a new "elephant trunk" so, capitulated and ordered one of them there repair kits.
I'd also want to repair this using cable of my own choosing.

Why not just use the trunk and sell the rest of the elephant to someone with broken wiring but a sound grommet?

Last edited:
I'd also want to repair this using cable of my own choosing.

Why not just use the trunk and sell the rest of the elephant to someone with broken wiring but a sound grommet?
A sound idea, but as a first attempt at this, I'm going to keep all the kit together, except maybe the rear wash hose, which looks sound and I may not cut it. I think I can withdraw it and feed through the new trunk. Decision to be made during the repair.

The SenCom kit is mostly rubbish. I have used the grommet and screenwash hose with the two barbed connectors. Sadly these are undersize and leak badly. The pre installed insulated cable connectors were rock hard and either split or shattered when crimped. Luckily, I have access to another car and drove to a vehicle wiring supplies unit a few miles away. I stocked up on various colours of cable and some japanese bullet connectors and insulators. The tailgate end of the wiring was finished last night just as darkness fell and this afternoon I connected the other ends up in the cabin. All connections are now accessible instead of buried behind bodywork. The whole lot is now working as Fiat intended and tomorrow I will pop out and get the correct washer hose connectors. Shame on SenCom for sending the wrong size and poor quality fittings. Sourcing the grommet is really the only thing that pushed me towards buying the kit. BIG mistake.

Anybody else doing this job, read the above advice from jrkitching and varesecrazy............................

Is that the kit that’s on eBay?
I want to properly repair the 500c before i sell it
the repair I’ve done is good, but all wires on show as I just couldn’t get them back though the grommet

cherrs John I know. I’ve already repaired it without the kit, but I couldn’t get the wires back through the grommet even with lubrication, so ended up bodging…it works perfectly but doesn’t look good., hence asking whether the kit was the same.

Sourcing the grommet is key to a good job. Mine was in pieces. I didn't need to cut it, just fell aprt in my fingers!

I think I ordered about 3 lots of eBay just trying to get the right size. Also wanted to keep the colour the same.
I even tried using the calpol tube trick

All finished. A shame that the SenCom connectors were so loose in the supplied pipe that I could almost shake them out! I went to GSF this morning and collected 2 metres of 3mm washer hose. With a little heat, the connectors slid into place and as they are a better fit into the Fiat hose, no leaks! I now have both connectors and wiring in easy access places in case of future problems. Job done.

Back