Technical wiper fault

Currently reading:
Technical wiper fault

OK so dismssing faulty relay and switch

"when ign is switched on and wipers aren't parked they will start at turn of key" =normal
"if parked they stay put till stalk moved" = normal

"put tester on the block put wipers on and theres intermittent power showing on meter at all settings on stalk"

"Intermittent" as in erratic or regular on off like a relay going? You've said you hear a relay going on and off in time with the power going on and off, which relay is it? The main wiper relay or the one in the switch?

Have you found C10 earth and made sure it's got cood contact?

With a multimeter- power off - check resistance of the earth from the motor to any good earth- should be near zero

Which wire are you testing for power at the wiper mpotor? One of the wires at the wiper motor WILL show power on and off as the wiper spindle rotates. That's the park switch

i should imagine the earth point on inner wing is the big black box 3"x1" as u describe i take if with wipers goin you remove this from inner wing it should stop? when i put tester on block that plugs into motor i selected slow speed and meter read 12v until it stops and then restarts put it on fast same conclusion and with itermittent havnt tested motor as i thought its the power supply to the motor thats the problem when power to block connecter comes and goes you do here a clicking sound i.e relay sound coming from coloum at same time as power coming/going

"i should imagine the earth point on inner wing is the big black box 3"x1" as u describe i take if with wipers goin you remove this from inner wing it should stop?"
Yes as that should be the earth for the wipers

"when i put tester on block that plugs into motor i selected slow speed and meter read 12v until it stops and then restarts put it on fast same conclusion and with itermittent havnt tested motor as i thought its the power supply to the motor thats the problem when power to block connecter comes and goes you do here a clicking sound i.e relay sound coming from coloum at same time as power coming/going"

But which wires are you testing?
1 =power to motor when wiper switch in on position
2=earth
3 = constant 12v to wiper park switch with ign on
4= not connected =dead end "parked position" for park switch
5= earth to motor when wiper switch is off- connected to C10

Certainly sounds more like a power supply problem than a wiper motor fault.
Put your finger on the wiper motor relay and see if it is that one that's clicking on and off as both the relays are "in the steering column".

If it's the big relay clicking on and off, upstream of the fuse, then you can dismiss everything downstream like switch, wiper motor and motor earth

i just put the black rod off tester to earth on block connecter and put red on whichever had a 12v supply to it when i had selected slow speed and watched reading on meter while wipers were running it showed 12v till the power stoped waited a few secs and back on again tha was the same with fast setting to r relays in coloum accesable

OK- do like i said and put your finger on the T12 wiper relay and feel if that one is clicking on and off when your wipers are on continuous. The relay should stay on whenever the ignition is on so probelms there mean narrowing down the fault

Took my heap into dealers and they deplaced whole wiper section under warranty,swtch,motor etc.:)

Could do with an update
You've said a relay is clicking on and off yet you've changed the switch (which contains one relay) and the other relay T12 you "cant feel any clicking on the relay"
So which is relay is clicking?
Have you got the right relay?

Once you've found which relay is going on and off and producing this on/ off power then you go further.

after all this trouble decided to swap wiper motor from my miss jtd and guess what working perfect on buying car noticed it had new motor from breakers so thats why i didnt check it and when tested block connecter to motor the fault was there anyway got motor new £30 ebay:) many thanks to all who help especialy deckchair5 thanks for your time/help

it took 30 mins remove 2 bolts holding wipers on ,then remove black trim panel disconnect wiper motor block connecter then 3 bolts holding wiiper frame in place, thats wiper assembly out :)

Back