Styling WILL 17s FIT ON MY CAR

Currently reading:
Styling WILL 17s FIT ON MY CAR

Yes they will fit but look a wee bit silly, a good set of 16s look much better imo (y)

Yeah but I wouldn't lower it too much afterwards.
and don't forget the bigger the wheels the less acceleration you'll have

Coilys would be the ultimate way to go... They sure do however a 205/35R17 keeps the gearing the same as standard :D

WILL 17s FIT ON MY CAR..... ANY PICS

Capslock.jpg

:cry:

Yes they will fit but look a wee bit silly, a good set of 16s look much better imo (y)

I agree there's one down my way with 7 spoke 17s and it looks like a pram with saucers for brakes. Not good.

16s should be ok but avoid anything with big gaps between spokes as it shows off the tiny brakes a bit too well. 15s should be cheaper too and wont ride so harshly.

No need to worry about the gearing changing. Just get tyres with the correct profile so they dont change the rolling radius. The tyre suppliers should be able to help with sizing.

Last edited:
some of then 17s are a lot heavier than 15s

Wouldn't of thought that would do anything as surely the force needed to move a car with say 40kg of extra wheel weight = pretty much the same as a car with 40kg of weights in the car???

The only thing I could think of for why it could damage anything would be very wide tyres along with high acceleration as the wide tyres would keep traction at times where the standard width tyres would spin.

I suspect the point was larger wheels turning more slowly. That would be unlikely to harm the gearbox but could easily mess up performance and increase fuel consumption. though as Paul12345 says it might only be 2% which no-one would notice.

The wide tyres giving more grip thing is a mistake. Wide tyres reduce the contact pressure per sq cm so grip actually goes down. Just fell them skip about on wet roads. This is why narrow tyres can run a harder long life compound - they press the tread down harder so can often give more grip. The snag - they dont look as nice and many narrow tyres are cheap, horrible & wouldnt grip with a bus riding on them..

The wide tyres giving more grip thing is a mistake. Wide tyres reduce the contact pressure per sq cm so grip actually goes down. Just fell them skip about on wet roads. This is why narrow tyres can run a harder long life compound - they press the tread down harder so can often give more grip. The snag - they dont look as nice and many narrow tyres are cheap, horrible & wouldnt grip with a bus riding on them..

To many factors involved for blanket statement eg there will always be a tradeoff between traction/weight/torque/conditions as you say on a wet surface a narrow tyre will cut through the water easier than normal.

But if you had a drag race in normal conditions one with 1" width tyres and one with standard width I think I know who'll be sat there spinning wheels or going slowly to avoid it.

What I meant was you'd expect fiat to design it so that standard wheels would give the best performance in normal day to day driving, and also design to the gearbox to withstand anything you do with standard wheels.

Now at some point a wider wheel will give better grip and if it gives better grip at a time where the gearbox is under the max pressure fiat designed it for...

Its all down to having enough friction between tyre and road surface. Sticky tyres like slicks work better the wider they get as the rolling surface is gluing itself down. In other conditions a narrow wheel can give all the grip you need. An extreme example is a railway loco running really narrow metal wheels they dont slip unless seriously provoked.

Everything is a compromise and wide tyres do not necessarily give more grip or better handling. But as said they do look nice & with a soft compound and a good tread design the lost grip is recovered well enough.

I dont see the big fuss whip some 17's on it pal i did if you think it looks good that's all that matters cause your driving it.. nobody else i put 17's on cause 15's look too small here's my 17's on mine and mines being lowered very soon..

Attachments

• P01-08-10_17-23.jpg
    P01-08-10_17-23.jpg
    734.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P01-08-10_17-24 (2).jpg
    P01-08-10_17-24 (2).jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 14
WILL 17s FIT ON MY CAR..... ANY PICS

Yea they are grand you will need 5mm spacers all round though,
Corky your car is mint my car is pretty much the same but iv black wheels. How did you do your back lights like that? Really like it! should look animal when its lowered.

Last edited:
Back