Wii online: Lan connection

Currently reading:
Wii online: Lan connection

Hey, hope people can help me with this, iv tried reading into it all and not sure what my best option is right now. so would like advice.

Got a Wii and seen all the retro games on the virtual console online, so wanted to connect wii online. However the wii is downstairs, my PC is upstairs. I dont have a router. I do have broadband

Iv read that i can buy a lan adaptor to which i run a 'patch' cable from the LAN adaptor to my PC, or get a router, this might sound a very stupid question (from me, most are) but cant i just get the LAN adaptor and plug a lead into my phone line ............yes no :eek: would be so much easier. unless anyone can find a cheap router that will work for me to connect my wii online

Can anyone help with this please?

Many thanks

Last edited:
cheers jug & custard, should have it all sorted soon then hopefully, never used a router so thats gonna be my next lot of questions really isnt it :eek:

Hey stu, well i have talk talk broadband and bought the belkin router on ebay that jug found, yet after searching online now, found there are some compatability issues with the belkin router and the wii :( ooops

Yeah - it won't work - if you are on ADSL you really need to get a modem/router combination.

That one is fine for cable services OR if you have an ethernet modem. I bet the one you have is USB.

oh crap i've just realised it isnt a router/modem, just a router!! :bang:

it will still work, but you will need to use your modem and the router. you just connect your modem to the router, then your PC to the router, then wireless for the wii.

Last edited:
Hola personas, received the router through the post, got a mate here helping me (is on the forum aswel :)) and guess what .................. the router stopped working, it broked :( daveypoo is not happy! stupid ebay, found it suspicious aswel that the seller left feedback before they even posted the item ! will be seeking refund

Anyhow ordered Netgear modem router under £30 so hopefully will be sorted. will keep update on this

Sincerely

Crazypoo

Right guys new router/modem arrived today, its a Netgear DG834G, things looked better at first as i connected all wires to it, ADSL Power and the LAN to the PC, it lights up for power, internet, and wireless but 'test' doesnt stay lit, and it wont connect to the net, i looked on the instructions which said go to http://192.168.0.1 but it wont connect to that, and even when i connect it all back to my talk talk modem it doesnt find that site :confused::confused: maybe its firewalled if so, im hopeless at adding ports or whatever it is im to do, any advice??

Please :(

Hey stu wondered if u were about :eek:

ye i can get onto that link, i have windows firewall
and not sure if spybot search is anything? tried turning it off still didnt work :(

Any installation CD with it - at what stage did you type in your DSL username and password?

Don't worry about Spybot - so that link works yes? You need to log into the gateway [i.e. the router] and configure your net connection - PPPoA and passwords, etc.

Back