Lancia Ypsilon 843 2006. 1.2 8v 60HP Airbag Failure Light

Currently reading:
Lancia Ypsilon 843 2006. 1.2 8v 60HP Airbag Failure Light

mraleximer

Hello everyone, i have 2006. Lancia Ypsilon 843 1.2 8V 60HP and since i bought it few months ago i am occasionally getting error message on my dashboard Airbag Failure Switch Off Engine. I drove my car to few mechanics with official diagnostics and they told me ECU does not read Airbag or in the other words there is no communication with the airbag system. Any help on how to reach airbag ECU or what else too look for in order to repair this issue. I am not having airbags under driver nor passenger seats so there are no any jacks i can inspect. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, i have 2006. Lancia Ypsilon 843 1.2 8V 60HP and since i bought it few months ago i am occasionally getting error message on my dashboard Airbag Failure Switch Off Engine. I drove my car to few mechanics with official diagnostics and they told me ECU does not read Airbag or in the other words there is no communication with the airbag system. Any help on how to reach airbag ECU or what else too look for in order to repair this issue. I am not having airbags under driver nor passenger seats so there are no any jacks i can inspect. Thank you.
Have any of your mechanics tried the "proxi alignment " program on their diagnostic tools to see if the BCM Body computer can find the airbag in it's search ?

First one told me he has universal diagnostic and he cant see the detailed report but then i went to local Fiat/Lancia/Alfa mechanic and they used official diagostic so i asked them can they see these further reports and they said yes ofc but after 10 minutes of checking they still told me even they cannot see the communication with the airbag ECU. In both cases they checked diagnostics only when the error code/light was displayed. But sometimes after driving for more than 20min the error goes away and then it comes back and so on...

First one told me he has universal diagnostic and he cant see the detailed report but then i went to local Fiat/Lancia/Alfa mechanic and they used official diagostic so i asked them can they see these further reports and they said yes ofc but after 10 minutes of checking they still told me even they cannot see the communication with the airbag ECU. In both cases they checked diagnostics only when the error code/light was displayed. But sometimes after driving for more than 20min the error goes away and then it comes back and so on...
Good diagnostic equipment usually shows pending error codes as well as stored/current error codes.
Also if they can go into the airbag side it should show what is connected and what is functioning etc.
By using the "proxi alignment" program which is in a full version of MES (multiecuscan) which many Forum members here use and there is a specific section that gives gives even better advice regarding this.
I personally used the Snap On Zeus diagnostic tool at my friend's garage which carries out the same functions.
I would expect the Fiat Dealer Tool to be superior if used by a professional.
If it cannot see it at all that is a problem.
Is it possible the car was involved in an accident by a previous driver and Air Bag system has not been repaired correctly?
On my daughters 2012 Punto Evo a poor repair by the previous owner to the passenger seat sensor damaged the BCM which I had to replace also as it controls many functions including the airbag system, after which the Snap On tool identified everything and correctly "installed" it, removing all the error codes/lights etc.
If you can supply a full list of all the error codes that come up on your vehicle it should help further.:)

Last edited:
Good diagnostic equipment usually shows pending error codes as well as stored/current error codes.
Also if they can go into the airbag side it should show what is connected and what is functioning etc.
By using the "proxi alignment" program which is in a full version of MES (multiecuscan) which many Forum members here use and there is a specific section that gives gives even better advice regarding this.
I personally used the Snap On Zeus diagnostic tool at my friend's garage which carries out the same functions.
I would expect the Fiat Dealer Tool to be superior if used by a professional.
If it cannot see it at all that is a problem.
Is it possible the car was involved in an accident by a previous driver and Air Bag system has not been repaired correctly?
On my daughters 2012 Punto Evo a poor repair by the previous owner to the passenger seat sensor damaged the BCM which I had to replace also as it controls many functions including the airbag system, after which the Snap On tool identified everything and correctly "installed" it, removing all the error codes/lights etc.
If you can supply a full list of all the error codes that come up on your vehicle it should help further.:)
I have found the error and it was front crash sensor. I have replaced it and now there is no error, BUT the amber ( yellow) airbag light flashes a few times before i turn on the engine and then both red and yellow airbag lights go away. Sometimes yellow light does not flash and airbag failure error is again present. I heard the low battery could be the culprit but the car starts fine and i have no low car batery symptoms.

It is good you have found the crash sensor fault.
Low battery voltage and earthing issues have been known to throw up error warning lights etc. but in your case I suspect the previous accident history is at the bottom of the problem.
Ideally you need someone with a good diagnostic computer to connect to the ABS/BCM computers etc. to read what is connected and what is working correctly or not.

It is good you have found the crash sensor fault.
Low battery voltage and earthing issues have been known to throw up error warning lights etc. but in your case I suspect the previous accident history is at the bottom of the problem.
Ideally you need someone with a good diagnostic computer to connect to the ABS/BCM computers etc. to read what is connected and what is working correctly or not.
Can you please help me with another issue. I am unable to see the outside temperature because the number data is missing from where it should be. I have googled few pictures with another instrument panelt from my car model and i can see on some cars there is not the value as well? TY

Attachments

• 355488181_10226443853875551_7011020140621081461_n.jpg
    355488181_10226443853875551_7011020140621081461_n.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 48
Back