General Wife wants a 500

Currently reading:
General Wife wants a 500

mkp182

Hi guys,

So on Saturday we are going to order a 500 for the wife and I was wondering if you guys have any advice.
We are looking at ordering the 500 twinair plus automatic on the Fiat i deal, I'm not too bothered about owning the car at the end of the deal just wanting the monthly payments as low as possible.
Do Fiat give any discounts or is there no point trying and if so how much would you look at paying for a twinair plus with autobox and maybe a couple of options?
The car is basically just to get her to work and back everyday (10 miles or so), am I going for the right engine/model?
Is there any must-have options?

Thanks in advance

Michael.

If it is to be a "workhorse" doing a short commute then you would be better off (financially) with a 1.2, not the Twinair (unless you are going into the congestion charge zone).

Also, the autobox is a really good one but it is expensive, so think about if you really need it. (I have one but then my wife only has an auto licence.)

People are scoring good discounts now - someone recently got 5% I recall.

Good luck.

Hi guys,

So on Saturday we are going to order a 500 for the wife and I was wondering if you guys have any advice.

Hi Michael & welcome to the forum :wave:.

Buying a TA+ for your wife to do a 10 mile commute is a bit like buying the latest Smart 3D HDTV to watch 1970's DVDs. Fine if you can justify the cost, but far more car than you actually need to get the job done.

Disregard the claims made for the TA's fuel economy - the real world experience of many, many folks has shown it to be at best no better than the 1.2, & if driven hard, it's actually worse.

Do Fiat give any discounts or is there no point trying

For the first 2-3 yrs, discounts were a bit thin on the ground due to the car's popularity (with the exception of those who bought on scrappage, which FIAT would have gladly opted out of for the 500 if they could). However, as the model matures, they're starting to appear now - Fiatsupersaver & Perrys Aylesbury are two main dealers who've usually got a few offers on the 'web.

Is there any must-have options?=

There are no 'must-have' options - a basic white 1.2 pop will do everything you need to get your wife safely to work & back. Options are just that - extras which you can add to the basic car if you think they're worth the money. Go to a dealer, look at what's available, and decide what best suits your preferences and budget.

All anyone else can really do is tell you what would be on their own shortlist - yours might be different.

With one exception. Don't let yourself be conned in to purchasing Supaguard, Easyguard or any similar paint protection system - none of them are capable of meeting the outrageous claims made for them and they're essentially worthless.

Choose your dealer wisely as most of them are very bad.
What ever you do don't go to Thames Fiat in slough.

Thanks for the quick replies!

The car is mainly for my wife to commute but not limited to that, should it be as good as some of the reviews I have read it could become our main car.
I do have a problem with dealers though, there are very few Fiat dealers near me, the nearest been 4 miles away then the next is 20+ miles away so really I'm stuck to the one dealer!
Regarding the automatic box, it is quite important, my wife isn't the most confident driver and hasn't drove much since she passed her test 6 years ago, so the auto box would give her less to worry about and cause me to worry about her less too!

That's fine then - it is a good box with none of the usual auto issues of sapping power and knackering the economy.

Be aware that the car will still roll back, unlike a trad auto. To avoid that you'd need to spec ESP which then gives you a "hill holder".

Where are you based?

I've had a look at Fiatsupersaver and they aren't showing any deals on the 500, when you click on the 500 link.

I've personally never managed to buy a car from the dealer who are behind the supersaver website. They are only 15 mins from me, there service department are very good, but they have never come back to me with a deal. That even includes the recent purchase where we were trading in a 500.

I'm not too bothered about owning the car at the end of the deal just wanting the monthly payments as low as possible.

Michael.

Welcome to FF Michael.

I would agree with all the contributions before me. Given the value for money of the Lounge over the Pop - the extra £1,200 can easily be justified. In relation to the dualogic at £1000 extra it does not seem to hold its value on re-sale but if you need it by accounts it appears to be an excellent robotised manual as pointed out by PJ.

Buying a TwinAir plus with a Dualogic from a personal view doesn't really add up since the market for the TwinAir and in particular the TwinAir + is a 'different' market.

The simplicity of the Pop without the glass roof means that you might get away without the A/C. The Blue & Me option (standard with Lounge & TA plus) comes with a fancy steering wheel that's hard to ignore.

If you are looking to have a play with the Wife's car after hours the fun of the TA is a nice thought. That might be a deciding factor if the car is solely for her or if it's a car that you can both enjoy.

As regards options the White Ambiance is really nice and that would be top of my list. If you end up with a Lounge model the Climate is a nice upgrade if the budget permits. If you opt for the Dualogic the ESP as pointed by PJ helps to stop the car rolling back but the handbrake ideally should be used. Wheel wise the 16s multispokes look the business but impact economy on the open road to the tune of 4-5mpg compared with the steelies on the pop model - I would still opt for this despite the impact for looks and better braking. There's no 15 inch wheel that appeals to me except possibly the Sport wheel which is at odds with the Lounge spec.

Whatever you do, have fun picking your 500 and as mentioned by RUI pick your dealer wisely since a good working relationship pays dividents in the 3rd year.

If you are looking to have a play with the Wife's car after hours the fun of the TA is a nice thought. That might be a deciding factor if the car is solely for her or if it's a car that you can both enjoy.

Thanks again for all your replies.
This is a good point, I don't fancy paying out over £14k just for the wife's runabout, that's why I'm trying to spec it up a bit so it can be enjoyable for us both and maybe I'll trade my car in for something cheaper.

I'm still trying to get my head around which models have which standard kit and trying to weigh up the prices between them. TBH i don't think the Fiat website is the best and I can't seem to find out which models have which options. But on the Fiat configure feature they all keep ending up around £14.3k whatever I seem to do!

The car is mainly for my wife to commute but not limited to that, should it be as good as some of the reviews I have read it could become our main car.
I do have a problem with dealers though, there are very few Fiat dealers near me, the nearest been 4 miles away then the next is 20+ miles away so really I'm stuck to the one dealer!

Shop around! I have dealer a couple of miles away and another about 15 miles away but I still ended up buying from a dealer 40 miles away because of the crap service from the first two.

Spike

If you play around with the term of the finance, you can get nigh on zero percent finance on i-deal. I think around 33 months is the point where the interest is negative,and the finance system stalls, other factors like annual mileage come into play too along with deposit amount.

Go on the configurator and click the finance button at the end to play with the figures.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to get my head around which models have which standard kit and trying to weigh up the prices between them. TBH i don't think the Fiat website is the best and I can't seem to find out which models have which options. But on the Fiat configure feature they all keep ending up around £14.3k whatever I seem to do!

IMHO the Fiat configurator is pretty good. I would suggest looking through the members gallery and see what car 'jumps out at you'.

This is a sticky done by Maxi that is worth a read...
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/277366-fiat-500-guide.html

Below is a quick summary of the differences in the models and some deciding factors to help you to pick & spec the right model for your needs. Set your budget and chop and dice to stay within it. You can't have everything !

For clarification
TA refers to the engine
TwinAir refers to the model which includes the TA engine.

POP
Only available with the 1.2 petrol or 1.3 multi-jet (Diesel) engine

LOUNGE
1.2 / 1.3 / TA engine
Fixed Glass roof
Nice hard to clean seats option to get pop seats
Chrome inserts and exhaust tip
Air conditioning
15 inch alloys (big choice)
Body coloured heated mirrors (includes outside temperature)
White Ambiance option !!!

TWIN AIR
Only the Twin Air engine !
Sports seats (half black leatherette on the sides, 'silver' fabric in the middle)
15 inch alloys (only choice of 2)
Air conditioning
Chrome exhaust tip
Rear Spoiler (smaller than the one on the Abarth pack)

TWIN AIR PLUS
(includes Twin Air above)
Blue & Me with multifunctional steering wheel
Dark Tinted Rear windows
Upgraded 16 inch wheels (only choice of 2)
Leather Gear Knob
Black roof option

If you want white Ambiance -> rules out Twin Air models but you can have the Lounge TA or the Pop 1.2 / 1.3MJ

Savings are made on the Lounge over the Pop if you want all the options.
Savings are not made on the TwinAir Plus over the TwinAir providing you don’t want a black roof.
https://www.fiatforum.com/members-motors/297026-last-my-new-baby.html?p=2990875

Abarth Pack only available in Red or Black and is more cost effective on the TwinAir model.

Decide first on the Engine.
Decide on white or black ambiance
Decide on Colour (e.g. Twin Air has Midnight Indigo Blue which is not available in the Pop/Lounge ; No Volare in the Twin Air)

If you want a Panaromic opening roof makes sense to go with a model without a Fixed roof e.g. the Twin Air models providing you don't want White ambiance.
If you want the Sports seats on the Twin Air models you are ‘stuck’ with Black ambiance.
Leather is £780 with some favouring the red.
Climate control is worthwhile if you have a fixed Glass roof.
Chrome can be added to the Twin Air model (inserts, tip, rear window surrounds) but it’s going slightly out of fashion. Worthwhile on the Pop for the Exhaust tip alone which can be replicated but not retro-fitted.
Blue & Me and fancy steering nearly a MUST c. £500

P.S. If there are any errors please feel free to correct. Hopefully this will be useful for a member looking to create a revised sticky since the arrival of the 'Twin Air' models (I'm not doing it :eek:).

Last edited:
RUI
Interesting you said avoid Thames Fiat - I bought mine from there! I found the sales staff very helpful and non-pushy, and got an excellent part-ex price. However, a year down the road they wanted £150 for an oil and filter change so I went elsewhere and got it done for £120 - still pretty steep. Can't comment on how they deal with problems as I haven't had any yet.

Regarding the automatic box, it is quite important, my wife isn't the most confident driver and hasn't drove much since she passed her test 6 years ago, so the auto box would give her less to worry about and cause me to worry about her less too!

Hi Michael,

Welcome to the forum as well.

I won't add anything more to the advice given already (which is spot on as always!)(y)

However - if you do find that your local dealer doesn't quite hit the mark, I really would recommend that you do look a bit further afield at other dealers.

It's never ideal having to drive 20-25 miles further than your nearest dealer, but if it means that you are going to get a better service (and potentially a better deal), the £10-15 petrol/2 hours spent will be well worth it, especially in the context of a £14 grand car.

I have done this twice now with both our 500 and our new Panda that we are due to pick up soon. Both of my nearest dealers when in South Wales and Mid Devon were either incompetent, rip-off merchants or a combination of both!:)

I'd suggest you do your test drives locally (1.2 and a twinair one after the other on the same day, to decide which engine is best) and then ring around all of the dealers within a certain distance and say that you are ready to buy/order the car (list all options) & pay the deposit there and then, and then ask outright how much of a discount they will offer. This is what I did and I ended up buying from a dealer around 60 miles away who dealt with us via the phone for everything except when I had to go over to sign the finance forms and then to pick up the car.

Chrome can be added to the Twin Air model (inserts, tip, rear window surrounds) but it’s going slightly out of fashion.

Good advice in your post loveshandbags. However, you would really want to avoid the chrome pack option for the TwinAir as the door handles, boot lid handle and front 'nose' strip are brushed chrome finish - with the exception of the exhaust tip. I would go on to suggest the brushed chrome mirror caps as I have on my TA. (y)

Good advice in your post loveshandbags. However, you would really want to avoid the chrome pack option for the TwinAir as the door handles, boot lid handle and front 'nose' strip are brushed chrome finish - with the exception of the exhaust tip. I would go on to suggest the brushed chrome mirror caps as I have on my TA. (y)

Thanks for the feedback 1st500. (y) That was a error. It would have applied to the discontinued Sport model but it's incorrect for the current line-up. I've changed the 'wording' and updated the price on the B&Me to £370 from the euro price.
On a seperate note if you opt for the Brushed mirror caps you lose out on the outside temperature feature with the 'Body coloured option'. In addition currently some of the options on the TA+ are interlinked so you might have to pick that option. But the look of the brushed mirror cap is very much in vogue at the moment - Alfa use it on the Cloverleaf model.

I would suggest looking through the members gallery and see what car 'jumps out at you'.

This is a sticky done by Maxi that is worth a read...
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/277366-fiat-500-guide.html

Below is a quick summary of the differences in the models and some deciding factors to help you to pick & spec the right model for your needs. Set your budget and chop and dice to stay within it. You can't have everything !

For clarification
TA refers to the engine
TwinAir refers to the model which includes the TA engine.

POP
Only available with the 1.2 petrol or 1.3 multi-jet (Diesel) engine

LOUNGE
1.2 / 1.3 / TA engine
Fixed Glass roof
Nice hard to clean seats option to get pop seats
Chrome inserts and exhaust tip
Air conditioning
15 inch alloys (big choice)
White Ambiance option !!!

TWIN AIR
Only the Twin Air engine !
Sports seats (half black leatherette on the sides, 'silver' fabric in the middle)
15 inch alloys (only choice of 2)
Air conditioning
Chrome exhaust tip
Rear Spoiler (smaller than the one on the Abarth pack)

TWIN AIR PLUS
(includes Twin Air above)
Blue & Me with multifunctional steering wheel
Dark Tinted Rear windows
Upgraded 16 inch wheels (only choice of 2)
Leather Gear Knob
Black roof option

If you want white Ambiance -> rules out Twin Air models but you can have the Lounge TA or the Pop 1.2 / 1.3MJ

Savings are made on the Lounge over the Pop if you want all the options.
Savings are not made on the TwinAir Plus over the TwinAir providing you don’t want a black roof.
https://www.fiatforum.com/members-motors/297026-last-my-new-baby.html?p=2990875

Abarth Pack only available in Red or Black and is more cost effective on the TwinAir model.

Decide first on the Engine.
Decide on white or black ambiance
Decide on Colour (e.g. Twin Air has Midnight Indigo Blue which is not available in the Pop/Lounge ; No Volare in the Twin Air)

If you want a Panaromic opening roof makes sense to go with a model without a Fixed roof e.g. the Twin Air models providing you don't want White ambiance.
If you want the Sports seats on the Twin Air models you are ‘stuck’ with Black ambiance.
Leather is £780 with some favouring the red.
Climate control is worthwhile if you have a fixed Glass roof.
Chrome can be added to the Pop model (inserts, tip, rear window surrounds). Can be worthwhile just for the Exhaust tip alone which can be replicated but not retro-fitted.
Blue & Me and fancy steering nearly a MUST (£270 + £110) £380

Great knowledge and advice from you all thank you.

I've just driven 15+ miles to the next closest Fiat dealership, only to find it closed down, so i really am stuck to one, unless they don't do me a deal I am happy with then I may have to resort to over-the-phone buying, which I'm not too keen on TBH.

I'll be taking the wife tomorrow morning and I'll let you all know how we get on, thanks again for all the sound advise.

Back