General Whistle & Knock From Drivers Front Wheel

Currently reading:
General Whistle & Knock From Drivers Front Wheel

ScottyBoy85

Some help needed.

took my car to my local mechanic to investigate a high pitch whistle and knocking noise thats comes from my front drivers side wheel.

The whistle doesn't happened all the time, just at certain speeds, but this can be low or fast speeds. For example I can be in slow moving traffic and it whistles, I can be in the 40ish speed and will whistle, will stop when in 50ish and start again when I am doing about 60ish. I can make it stop by breaking. My mechanic thought it was perhaps the brake pads not releasing properly but he stripped them down and cleaned them all down but it is still doing it :bang: any suggestions??

As for the knocking noise, it isn't all the time and it occasionally happens when turn a corner or go over a bump, but not always. Mechanic couldn't see any problems, everything thing seemed to be intact. So any suggestions for this that I could check out would be good.

Really starting to think I won't be going back to that mechanic.

i get the knocking noise, i think what your on about is just some part inside the steering wheel that knocks/rubs together.

not sure about the whistling wheel area though

the knocking its most probably the top mounts, you will find uneven roads will make it knock and clunk, I lubed them back up and they are smooth as now, did this whilst fitting lowering springs, .... not a noise!,

other possible thing is the droplinks, they can become noisy when worn,

as for the whistleing, i personally think its the stone guard on the back of the front disk,, they are only soft metal and can rub against the outer rim of the disk, (y)

Good sugestions there from steely,

i'd go with stoneguard for whistling or some loose trim
for the knocking i'd try droplinks first as only £12ish each then trackrod ends/wishbones depending on mileage covered.

Thanks guys, sounds like good possibilities. i will have a bit of an investigation to see if I can do anything with these.

Right,

Well I finally got a chance to look at this, the knocking doesn't seem to happening as much and it isn't really bothering me. BUT, the damn whistling is really starting to grate on me. I think it's happening more oftern and occasionally is louder than usual.

The stone guard on the back of the front disk doesn't seem to be rubbing when i look, but if it is this then what are your suggestions i do with it? is it a case of spraying something in there to grease it up?

Thanks

:eek: like you I had the whistle from the front brakes having checked the rear guard for clearance and all the usual a stone trapped it turned out to be a build up of corrosion on the back of the disc which once cleaned off cures the problem, so it maybe a good idea to strip the brakes down remove the caliper and using a dremel grind off the lip at the outer/inner edge and the build up of crud on the centre section of the disc hope this helps (y)

Back