Technical Whirling noise at high speeds and when slowing down it slowly goes away?

Currently reading:
Technical Whirling noise at high speeds and when slowing down it slowly goes away?

Have you solved it? The thermic resistance with the fan could be burned. If so, the fan only kicks in on 2nd gear when the engine temperature and the cooling system pressure are a little bit over normal values. The fan working on 2nd gear is louder and it runs for little periods of time, keeps going on for a little bit then off again.
The thermic resistance is located on the fan right under where electrical cables are connected. I put a pic, you have to take out those 2 screws and you can access it.

Attachments

• 20220508_135134.jpg
    20220508_135134.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
Have you solved it? The thermic resistance with the fan could be burned. If so, the fan only kicks in on 2nd gear when the engine temperature and the cooling system pressure are a little bit over normal values. The fan working on 2nd gear is louder and it runs for little periods of time, keeps going on for a little bit then off again.
The thermic resistance is located on the fan right under where electrical cables are connected. I put a pic, you have to take out those 2 screws and you can access it.

Kind of, so I took the fan out and cleaned it with brake cleaner, even cleaned the plugs. For a few weeks it was fine but the noise came back but quieter compared to what was in the video. So possibly just need a new fan.

The resistance that you showed, I don't have that, it's just a block of plastic which I would of assumed would of been where that should have been located there.
But now the clutch on it is acting up, every time I put the clutch down it makes a weird noise, so my next job is replacing the clutch and then I'll go back to the fan. Any clue on how hard it is to do the the clutch replacement yourself? I've got the haynes book manual, so I can follow that :)

Possibly thinking of getting a different fan, if that's even possible with these cars.

Thanks though :(

Any clue on how hard it is to do the the clutch replacement yourself? I've got the haynes book manual, so I can follow that :)
Well... if you haven't assisted someone doing it and paying attention on how it's done, it would probably be a little bit hard. You have to be careful not to grease the clutch and you have to know how to position the clutch in its place so that when you put the gearbox back on the shaft goes in as it should. And of course, before getting to position new clutch you have to have the tools to take down the gearbox and you have to know what you are doing. I think there is a guide about how to do it in the guides section on this forum.
But before getting to replace the clutch, make sure it need replacement. Because it could be that only the actuating system of clutch needs replacement, like master cylinder. Watch out when someone pushes the clutch pedal, how much does the slave cylinder rod comes out and pushes onto clutch fork actuator. It must come out about 2-2.5 cm. If it's less, there is the problem. And how old is your clutch?

Well... if you haven't assisted someone doing it and paying attention on how it's done, it would probably be a little bit hard. You have to be careful not to grease the clutch and you have to know how to position the clutch in its place so that when you put the gearbox back on the shaft goes in as it should. And of course, before getting to position new clutch you have to have the tools to take down the gearbox and you have to know what you are doing. I think there is a guide about how to do it in the guides section on this forum.
But before getting to replace the clutch, make sure it need replacement. Because it could be that only the actuating system of clutch needs replacement, like master cylinder. Watch out when someone pushes the clutch pedal, how much does the slave cylinder rod comes out and pushes onto clutch fork actuator. It must come out about 2-2.5 cm. If it's less, there is the problem. And how old is your clutch?

So it doesn't look like the rod is coming out poorly or the pushing onto the fork actuator weirdly, looks all okay to me? Here's what it sounds like,
Also I doubt the clutch has ever been changed, it's a 17 year old car, and it's on 76k miles.

Yes, the rod looks to be getting out as much as it should.
And if the clutch is 17 years old... I'd say it made it's job and you can get to put a new clutch.
It does sound not good and it's definitely coming from the clutch, I'd say that probably the bearing is damaged and/or the solar disk tips are not in the greatest form.
Here is the guide I've mentioned:
and if you have a way to access the car engine from underneath so that you can take down the gearbox, you can replace it yourself. The time for replacement for a mechanic who has done it before, is maximum 4 hours.

Yes, the rod looks to be getting out as much as it should.
And if the clutch is 17 years old... I'd say it made it's job and you can get to put a new clutch.
It does sound not good and it's definitely coming from the clutch, I'd say that probably the bearing is damaged and/or the solar disk tips are not in the greatest form.
Here is the guide I've mentioned:
and if you have a way to access the car engine from underneath so that you can take down the gearbox, you can replace it yourself. The time for replacement for a mechanic who has done it before, is maximum 4 hours.

damn.. what a weekend it's going to be 👀 Welp, this'll decide if I get a new car after next week or not :LOL:

Back