General Which used Panda to buy for first car?

Currently reading:
General Which used Panda to buy for first car?

buy one that is cheapest to run and insure

get a couple of years No Claims under your belt then get a 100HP
will scare the brown stuff out of you but will be Sooo much fun

I'm 20 and my insurance renewal on my 100HP is coming up in the next few weeks. I can get fully comp cover from reputable insurers for between £450 and £500. I know that's expensive compared to what "old" people could get on the same car, but it's about the same as my dad pays to insure his Audi and he's in his early 50s with a clean history.

My point is, even the 100HP is relatively cheap to insure, as long as you've got a clean driving history. If I was 28 with a clean history, I wouldn't consider not getting a 100HP on insurance grounds.

My point is, even the 100HP is relatively cheap to insure, as long as you've got a clean driving history. If I was 28 with a clean history, I wouldn't consider not getting a 100HP on insurance grounds.

All depends upon postcode lottery though, and you've driving history (IE NCD) which the OP hasn't yet.

All depends upon postcode lottery though, and you've driving history (IE NCD) which the OP hasn't yet.

I totally missed the fact the OP has only just passed their test. So much for participating in internet discussions late at night, sorry about that.

I guess it does depend a lot on where you live, as well as what your driving and conviction history is like. Luckily, when I'm not at Uni, I have an insurance "friendly" postcode.

Still, the 100HP is what, group 4 or 5 by the old system?

A/C used as heating is no different than a normal heater apart from better temperature regulation. It has absolutely no de-humidification properties at all.
Demisting the car is also of no consequence in reference to A/C or standard heater... :confused:
Quite extraordinary claims.... !(n) - I would do some research if I was you..

Sorry Captain but that's not correct. ALL aircon systems have a de-humidifying function built into them.

Sorry Captain but that's not correct. ALL aircon systems have a de-humidifying function built into them.

would disagree as they dont get cold enough be used as a dehumidifier and if they did you would end up with wet carpets every time you used it.

dehumidifiers work by freezing the moisture content in the air on the cooling radiator element then when it cant get any colder it defrosts the frozen moisture which then turns back into water and runs off into a container to be removed. you would get a build up of frost on the coolong radiator which would block the airflow if they got that cold, Think like frost in a freezer,

would disagree as they dont get cold enough be used as a dehumidifier and if they did you would end up with wet carpets every time you used it.

dehumidifiers work by freezing the moisture content in the air on the cooling radiator element then when it cant get any colder it defrosts the frozen moisture which then turns back into water and runs off into a container to be removed. you would get a build up of frost on the coolong radiator which would block the airflow if they got that cold, Think like frost in a freezer,

Sorry, but you've missed the point as well.

Dehumidifiers actually work best when the surface temperature of the evaporator is just above freezing - once ice starts to form on the evaporator, the lower thermal conductivity of the ice reduces efficiency and you have to periodically turn off the refrigeration cycle to melt the ice (most dehumidifiers will do this automatically).

Your car will also automatically turn off the A/C compressor once the outside temperature falls to a level which would cause a buildup of ice in the evaporator.

Car A/C units dispose of the collected water through the cabin A/C drain. If this drain becomes blocked, then you do indeed get wet carpets, as several forum members have reported in the past.

In fact, the first thing that you should do if you notice water in the passenger compartment is check that the A/C drain isn't blocked.

Last edited:

It does get cold enough and there is a drain in all cars with AC hence no wet carpets, and cars which look like they're leaking after a long run in the summer.

It does get cold enough and there is a drain in all cars with AC hence no wet carpets, and cars which look like they're leaking after a long run in the summer.
:yeahthat:

To be honest, this thread is the first place I've ever seen anyone saying that A/C or climate control doesn't dehumidify the air and doesn't aid with window demisting.

I'd love to know how certain people would explain away the fact that windows demist far faster with the A/C on than with it off and don't mist up again when you're driving...

Nope, we've got a dehumifier running in our kitchen and it doesn't freeze the moisture at all, it condenses and runs off into a container, in a car it runs down a drain and onto the road. Ever wondered why cars drip water in the summer? It's water dropping out of the drain :)

:yeahthat:

To be honest, this thread is the first place I've ever seen anyone saying that A/C or climate control doesn't dehumidify the air and doesn't aid with window demisting.

I'd love to know how certain people would explain away the fact that windows demist far faster with the A/C on than with it off and don't mist up again when you're driving...

oh its pick on Jon day again, I must have been talking brown stuff again,
ok dunces cap on AGAIN and standing in the corner AGAIN :cry::cry::cry:

ps.. wasnt me that said it dont demist faster with aircon on....

ok dunces cap on AGAIN and standing in the corner AGAIN :cry::cry::cry:

Please come back out of the corner... it takes a big person to admit they've made a mistake :).

We don't mind folks questioning what we post - all of us make mistakes now & then, but it can be disheartening when some folks just take up a silly position and then won't listen to what's being offered in response - and that comment most certainly isn't directed at you.

Please come back out of the corner... it takes a big person to admit they've made a mistake :).

We don't mind folks questioning what we post - all of us make mistakes now & then, but it can be disheartening when some folks just take up a silly position and then won't listen to what's being offered in response - and that comment most certainly isn't directed at you.
its not first time i been here and wont be the last.
I know how dehumdifiers work ( I have fixed hundreds of them ) but seeing as so many jumped on my comments i stand corrected about car aircons.

I was talking to my Dad today about the big FIAT Forum AC Vs Heater debate as he worked for Ford in Belfast's Ford factory for over 40 years so knows a bit about cars.

I sat down and waited for his words of wisdom.

And he spake thus.

"Tell them to get an old pillowcase, rip it into strips and use that to wipe the windows before setting off. What a bunch of girls, at least their cars start. Back when you were a kid I had to take the distributor cap off my car in Winter and stick it on the radiator for 1/2 hour."

But if you touch my windscreen with an ole rag, I will be after ye!

I totally missed the fact the OP has only just passed their test. So much for participating in internet discussions late at night, sorry about that.

I guess it does depend a lot on where you live, as well as what your driving and conviction history is like. Luckily, when I'm not at Uni, I have an insurance "friendly" postcode.

Still, the 100HP is what, group 4 or 5 by the old system?

yeah I live in central London, so my insurance was quoted as a grand more than yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went and sat in one of the Pandas by the way. I thought it felt a little cramped. I'd wanna take this sucker on the motorway, I guess the cabin isn't the nicest place to spend several hours...

Back